IGNORED

Belinoid PAL TO NTSC Please?

Shawn

Hey All,

Could one of you PAL to NTSC hackers please convert the attached homebrew "Belinoid" from PAL to NTSC please? I have talked to the author and he says he can't do it himself as the code is too messy for him to change it himself as it was his first game he made and he just can't figure it out. I know he won't mind one bit as I already asked him.

Cheers & Thanks,

Shawn Sr.

Hi there!

I have talked to the author and he says he can't do it himself as the code is too messy for him to change it himself as it was his first game he made and he just can't figure it out.

What is that for a lame excuse? :ponder:

Greetings,

Manuel

960186[/snapback]

No, I don't think it's an excuse cause he did PAL and NTSC on his second game and didn't mind if someone else took a crack at it, I am assuming he is unable to do it himself, But you could be right. Either way I want an NTSC one so I can play it on my console without rollin', rollin', rollin' Vhold..lol..

PS. Your Galaxian is about 1000 times better than the original ;)

Edited by silver_surfer

Hi there!

Just had a quick look at it. I don't think there's an easy solution. The whole game is done without any timers, it's hardcoded to PAL with WSYNCS. The kernel loop is like

DISABLE VBLANK

VSYNC (line 1-3)

GAMELOGIC (line 4-53)

DISPLAY (line 54-276)

ENABLE VBLANK

STA WSYNC (line 277-312)

Guess you'll have a hard time trying to display 222 lines on a NTSC TV.

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

Just had a quick look at it. I don't think there's an easy solution. The whole game is done without any timers, it's hardcoded to PAL with WSYNCS. The kernel loop is like

DISABLE VBLANK

VSYNC (line 1-3)

GAMELOGIC (line 4-53)

DISPLAY (line 54-276)

ENABLE VBLANK

STA WSYNC (line 277-312)

Guess you'll have a hard time trying to display 222 lines on a NTSC TV.

Greetings,

Manuel

960216[/snapback]

So he wasn't joking about not knowing how to fix it. That sux :(

Hi there!

So he wasn't joking about not knowing how to fix it. That sux :(

Well, the fix ain't that hard to do. It'd require to shrink the display to some reasonable size, like 200 lines and then distribute the gamelogic code between overscan and vblank time. No hackjob, but the original programmer should be able to do that in a few hours.

Not sure if he wants to do that though, it looks more like an abandoned demo than a completed project.

Greetings,

Manuel

I am the author. Was my first game. Design is awful, i know. Didnt know much about atari 2600 when coding it. But its NOT an unfinished demo. The code itself is very static and that makes it difficult to change something. Collision is done due calculating with the positions of the ball and the blocks. Not the collision registers. So, changing the size of playfield would it make neccessary to recode the collsion routine too f.e. I think if u really want a ntsc version, i will create a belinoid2 with more breakout features like falling down extras, etc...

Anyway, we have in this forum so many l33t coders, should be a piece of cake for those coding gods to convert the game to ntsc.

I am the author. Was my first game. Design is awful, i know. Didnt know much about atari 2600 when coding it. But its NOT an unfinished demo. The code itself is very static and that makes it difficult to change something. Collision is done due calculating with the positions of the ball and the blocks. Not the collision registers. So, changing the size of playfield would it make neccessary to recode the collsion routine too f.e. I think if u really want a ntsc version, i will create a belinoid2 with more breakout features like falling down extras, etc...

Anyway, we have in this forum so many l33t coders, should be a piece of cake for those coding gods to convert the game to ntsc.

961003[/snapback]

Hi

and i am a buyer of a Belinoid cartridge at Ebay.I think,it is a nice game and i enjoy playing it.Belinoid 2 would be a great idea.Let me know,when it is available.

Thanks adn greetings

Gambler172 :)