IGNORED

I got a Vectrex! Now what? multi-cart?

gulag picture radio

Hiya. I just scored a Vectrex and a bunch of games and overlays. I'd really like to pick up one of the multicarts one can get for Vectrex. Sean Kelly still makes his multicart sporadically - any comments on the quality of this cart?

There are several people offering multicarts regularly on Ebay, but these often only have a few games, wheras I'd really like the all the games in one fell swoop.

Also, isn't there a site that offers reproduction overlays? Any other cool stuff you'd recommend?

I'm new to the Vectrex scene (after years of looking for one) so am enthusiastic to pick up some snazzy new vector stuff. Thanks for your help!

One more vote for the VecFlash! :thumbsup:

Also, Vectrex homebrews are incredibly inexpensive, so there's no reason not to pick up Protector/YASI, or any of the other wonderful Veccy homebrew games! :D http://www.vectrexcarts.com/

Here, I posted my thoughts on Protector. Alex Herbert is a genius. I was so impressed with the 'about' demo and music in the Protector/YASI cart that I've forced at least three friends to watch it now... and I only first played the game three days ago! I guess I could sum up all my comments with one word and an exclamation point - "WOW!"

Edited by mojofltr

I have the SK multicart and I highly recommend it. I do not own a VecFlash so I can't give an opinion on that. My guess is that Sean will soon be selling some of the Vectrex multicarts. Last year he sold a huge batch of these right before Christmas. I have a feeling that he will be offering these again right before Christmas.

The advantage of the VecFlash over the SK multicart is that you do not have to OFF/ON the console to switch games. All you do is reset the console in the VecFlash to change game programs.

And I do not think that Sean has updated his list of games in about 3+ years.

Plus Alex compiled a bunch of original games into two banks of games for the VecFlash. It's kinda like having two mini-multicarts within the VecFlash.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Plus Alex compiled a bunch of original games into two banks of games for the VecFlash.  It's kinda like having two mini-multicarts within the VecFlash.

:? I missed this somewhere... Did the VecFlash come preinstalled with these? I didn't try the cart out before I programmed it; Have I lost these forever or are there ROMs floating about the internet?

Plus Alex compiled a bunch of original games into two banks of games for the VecFlash.  It's kinda like having two mini-multicarts within the VecFlash.

:? I missed this somewhere... Did the VecFlash come preinstalled with these? I didn't try the cart out before I programmed it; Have I lost these forever or are there ROMs floating about the internet?

962925[/snapback]

I must have missed this somewhere as well, but I just downloaded the 4K packs from his website. Very cool! :D

Also, Vectrex homebrews are incredibly inexpensive, so there's no reason not to pick up Protector/YASI, or any of the other wonderful Veccy homebrew games!  :D  http://www.vectrexcarts.com/

962518[/snapback]

The only thing I'd steer clear of on that site is Birds of Prey and Rockaroids. No, not that those games stink or anything, but at $10 apiece (plus whatever postage is), you're better off just sending John Dondzila $22 to get Birds of Prey, Rockaroids Remix: Third Rock, Patriots Remix, Vector Vaders Remix, Star Fire Spirits, Repulse, the demos (still playable though) of Abyss and Deadly Discs AND a hidden bonus game on top of all that for the one cartridge of Vecmania! It's definitely worth it, and most of the games are fairly hard, making for pretty decent replay value.

Oh, and welcome to the great world of Vectrex homebrewing and all, Gulag P. R.! :D

The only thing I'd steer clear of on that site is Birds of Prey and Rockaroids.  No, not that those games stink or anything, but at $10 apiece (plus whatever postage is), you're better off just sending John Dondzila $22 to get Birds of Prey, Rockaroids Remix: Third Rock, Patriots Remix, Vector Vaders Remix, Star Fire Spirits, Repulse, the demos (still playable though) of Abyss and Deadly Discs AND a hidden bonus game on top of all that for the one cartridge of Vecmania!  It's definitely worth it, and most of the games are fairly hard, making for pretty decent replay value.

I picked up Rockaroids *and* VecMania, because I like Asteroids, and the version Mark Shaker is selling is significantly different (easier to get to a game of Asteroids, for one thing, since you don't have to go through the menus, and the asteroids don't rotate, which makes it more arcade-like, though I do think the rotating asteroids are cool...).