IGNORED

I got a Vectrex! Now what? multi-cart?

gulag picture radio

I recall mention of the 8K packs being worked on a while ago, did this ever come to be?

It's on Alex's things to do list (he did the 4K's)

I don't like to pressure him as he has many projects on the go at any one time.

You must agree he did a great job on the 4K packs. I especially like the intro music to each being played as you go down the list :cool:

I wonder why nobody has mentioned Thrust yet. Great game!

I agree, it's a superb game. It just looks such a natural game with the vectors on the Vec.

I also like the fact that it's hard (well, for me anyway)

This is all really awesome. I didn't know that there was quite this much going on in the world of Vectrex. I've played several of the 16 games that I got with the system, and I am blown away by the quality and selection of the games. GCE really put forth s gppd effort to have a fun variety of games for their system. I maen, sports games? I had no idea.

I will definitely check out the links that you guys have mentioned. I will definitely be getting a VecFlash, though I'm still tempted be Sean's multicart. I know that he's not the zippiest provider sometimes, but his store is only about 20 minutes from me (I designed his logo) so I can always go over there and put the thumbscrews on. :)

The main thing for me right now is that I've got to get rid of the heinous buzz. I think that mine is buzzing a bit louder than others I've heard, so I've got to do one of those great online projects to reduce the noise.

Here's a weird question. Has anyone ever degaussed their Vectrex screen? I figure after 20 years it could probably use it, but not if it'll screw up th screen in some way. Does anyone know?

Thanks everybody! I appreciate all the great advice, and more proof of why I love AA forums.

Edited by gulag picture radio

The main thing for me right now is that I've got to get rid of the heinous buzz.

Has anyone ever degaussed their Vectrex screen?

969469[/snapback]

Some people put a piece of clear packaging tape over the speaker .. which they say helps.

Degaussed ..?? How would you do that?

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

TV reparimen have these degaussing wands that they use for regular TV's. Most computer monitors have degaussing built in, but I've never seen a regular TV that did. I would just probably bring my Vectrex to an old TV repair shop and have them do it there for me. I just don't know whether there's something special about a vector display CRT that I could mess up by doing that.

I guess I could look up an oscilloscope FAQ and see what they have to say. My oscilloscope is like fifty years old, so it could probably use a little degaussing love too. :)

I suppose if the image were appearing visibly warped, but...

Age in and of itself isn't a reason to degauss. It's only to fix a magnetized screen.

And as a monochrome vector screen doesn't have a shadow mask or aperture grille to magnetize, there shouldn't EVER be a need to degauss.

And I'm pretty sure most modern TVs auto-degauss during powerup.

Like monitors, it won't fix major magnetic issues, just minor ones.

The only thing I'd steer clear of on that site is Birds of Prey and Rockaroids.  No, not that those games stink or anything, but at $10 apiece (plus whatever postage is), you're better off just sending John Dondzila $22 to get Birds of Prey, Rockaroids Remix: Third Rock, Patriots Remix, Vector Vaders Remix, Star Fire Spirits, Repulse, the demos (still playable though) of Abyss and Deadly Discs AND a hidden bonus game on top of all that for the one cartridge of Vecmania!  It's definitely worth it, and most of the games are fairly hard, making for pretty decent replay value.

I picked up Rockaroids *and* VecMania, because I like Asteroids, and the version Mark Shaker is selling is significantly different (easier to get to a game of Asteroids, for one thing, since you don't have to go through the menus, and the asteroids don't rotate, which makes it more arcade-like, though I do think the rotating asteroids are cool...).

968000[/snapback]

Actually, those *ARE* two different versions (thanks for mentioning that...); the version on Vecmania is the third version, the one the other guy sells is the second...which is also on John Dondzila's All Good Things cartridge. That cartridge also comes with Vectris (Tetris, obviously), Spike's Water Balloons (like Kaboom!, but you can kick a few of the balloons back up!), More Invaders (Space Invaders Part 2), and a fifth hidden game. Also $22, and probably worth it, as usual (I don't have it yet).

And I'd put in a second vote of that Vectrex avatar as to being Zappa...even if it's not him, though, it's still cool :D

TV reparimen have these degaussing wands that they use for regular TV's.  Most computer monitors have degaussing built in, but I've never seen a regular TV that did.  I would just probably bring my Vectrex to an old TV repair shop and have them do it there for me.  I just don't know whether there's something special about a vector display CRT that I could mess up by doing that.

I guess I could look up an oscilloscope FAQ and see what they have to say.  My oscilloscope is like fifty years old, so it could probably use a little degaussing love too.  :)

970923[/snapback]

I thought the only reason color CRTs needed degaussing was because they have a metal color mask that can acquire a magnetic field. No?