IGNORED

James Bond as seen in Octopussy

Guybrush

Hi, I heard that a James Bond game by the name of Octopussy (based of the 1983 film) was supossed to be released for the Atari (perhaps the 2600?) but it was never released. I did find an advertizement for it on the AtariAge archive of the catalog of Parker Brothers. Here's the link:

http://www.atariage.com/catalog_page.html?...&currentPage=12

Does anybody know what happened to this or why it was never released? It looks very different compared to the Moon Patrol clone that was the released version of this game.

I've heard various rumors over the years that it was indeed either completed or made it into the playtesting stage of development. No one has ever come forward and said they have a prototype or they saw it running. Who knows why it was cancelled, maybe it just wasn't coming together or they decided to change the game to a more generic James Bond game rather than one based off a specific movie?

Tempest

Just to throw some more absurdity into the mix...

972604[/snapback]

Interesting! Sorry for my slight newbie tendencies, but that name on the cartridges (Sharad Savalia) Could it possibly be the name of the person who worked on those games? Or perhaps it's just the person who owns the prototype? If someone could track that person down, maybe Octopussy could finally see the light of day. :)

Edited by Guybrush

Just to throw some more absurdity into the mix...

972604[/snapback]

Interesting! Sorry for my slight newbie tendencies, but that name on the cartridges (Sharad Savalia) Could it possibly be the name of the person who worked on those games? Or perhaps it's just the person who owns the prototype? If someone could track that person down, maybe Octopussy could finally see the light of day. :)

972628[/snapback]

Those are U.S. Games prototypes, Octopussy is "Name This Game". ;)

Hi, I heard that a James Bond game by the name of Octopussy (based of the 1983 film) was supossed to be released for the Atari (perhaps the 2600?) but it was never released.  I did find an advertizement for it on the AtariAge archive of the catalog of Parker Brothers.  Here's the link:

http://www.atariage.com/catalog_page.html?...¤tPage=12

Does anybody know what happened to this or why it was never released?  It looks very different compared to the Moon Patrol clone that was the released version of this game.

972536[/snapback]

Here's some more info:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...ic=75588&hl=007

8)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

This is Sharad. I sold these games on Ebay years ago and these stickers were to identify them as mine since people sometimes borrowed them.

My friend who lives near Chicago gave me them to sell. Not sure anything else about them.

I wish I made these games or worked at Quaker Oats??

I'm glad I was included in the Atari discussion. This system was a major breakthrough.

Later,

Sharad

Well if you read those other threads, you'd see that Leonard Herman and myself* saw the bond train game at two different shows of the time, so it did exist at one point in time.

* I just saw it, I didn't wait in the long line to play it, so it was very 'passing moment,' but I did see it with me own eyes.