IGNORED

Anyone play Apple II games?

Lord Thag

I've been (re)discovering the Apple II gaming scene recently. I finally have the means to transfer rom images to disk to play on my Apple IIc. Fun stuff. Some of the best RPG's ever made, and a ton of really weird, obscure, and fun titles. I also scored a lot of sealed Atarisoft apple games (13 in all), so I'm sitting pretty. I've been a long time IIgs fan as well, and THAT little system is one underappreciated piece of retro goodness.

Anyone else around here play Apple II stuff?

I have a IIgs "Woz edition" sitting in a box. I found some game files online that I've always wanted to play but I haven't sat down long enough to figure out what to do with those .shk or .2mg images. I have a Mac that can read/write DD disks but I'm not quite sure where to go from there. I understand Shrink It is a IIgs program that can decompress the .shk files, but that does no good when the files are on a Mac :P.

Ahh, the IIgs...learned to program BASIC and Pascal on it in high school. Never got to playing games with it, though.

- Jason

Yes I play them all the time. Not on a real machine though.. the last I saw of my Apple IIe was eons ago. However Applewin works great (especially set with monochrome green display). :D

973282[/snapback]

I'm an emulationaholic - but you need to experience the real thing on the Apple ][. Soooo much better. Just pick up a cheap IIc (nice compact all in one unit) and some 5.25" disks. Then you can serial them over and just hook the IIc to anyold thing that has composite input. :D

Damn I wish I had a IIc like Atari 8 bit unit :lust:

I have a IIgs "Woz edition" sitting in a box. I found some game files online that I've always wanted to play but I haven't sat down long enough to figure out what to do with those .shk or .2mg images. I have a Mac that can read/write DD disks but I'm not quite sure where to go from there. I understand Shrink It is a IIgs program that can decompress the .shk files, but that does no good when the files are on a Mac :P.

- Jason

973291[/snapback]

IIRC (it's been a little while) you get the .2mg files to the mac, use a converter on them and write out the disk images. Has to be a DS/DD 800K drive. The process was simple. I believe I transferred all the images from my PC to the old powerbook over the lan.

I can always go get my duo out of the closet and boot it if you need to know the exact process.

I'm an emulationaholic - but you need to experience the real thing on the Apple ][.  Soooo much better. 

Heh but you see, I "experienced" them all my childhood in which I programmed on them and used them to write papers all the way up until I left for college :P

If I wanted one I'd have my mom box mine up and send it over :) Emus are fine for now. :D You ever try Applewin? It's real real good at transforming a pc into an old monochrome Apple. Just run it full screen.

http://www.tomcharlesworth.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

- Jason

973291[/snapback]

IIRC (it's been a little while) you get the .2mg files to the mac, use a converter on them and write out the disk images. Has to be a DS/DD 800K drive. The process was simple. I believe I transferred all the images from my PC to the old powerbook over the lan.

I can always go get my duo out of the closet and boot it if you need to know the exact process.

973334[/snapback]

Thanks. I can get the files to my old Mac no prob, now I just need to find that converter program.

- Jason

Edited by Emehr

I love my Apple IIe, it's set up right next to my Mega ST 4. The IIe was my next computer after my Atari 400, and I used it for many years for all my school work (86 to 94). After I got my IBM PC, my Apple went on permanent game duty. I have so many fond memories of the Apple II, it really was a great computer. Now days I've decked out my poor old Apple IIe with a Mockingboard, Mouse, Ethernet card, RGB card, and a SCSI card (hard drive still isn't hooked up yet though). My goal is too fill all those pretty slots :) I only have one left, and that is going to be filled by either another Mockingboard or a 3.5" drive card (if I can ever find one).

I never could get into the IIgs, although I really tried. I have a sweet IIgs setup, but its incompatibility with some of my old IIe games keeps me from using it full time. There are only a handful of IIgs only games that I care about, and 95% of those are available on the Atari ST. I see no real reason to keep a IIgs around. To me it never really felt like an Apple II, it was something else...

Currently I use ADT to copy disk images from my computer to my IIe via the super serial card. Once there I can write them to real disks and play them on a real Apple whenever I want. It's really great, and doesn't take very long.

Tempest

I still have two IIe's with a smorgasbord of accessories and upgrade cards that I've found for them, including a 2MB memory upgrade (don't yet have any software that actually uses the extra memory, though). I also have a Mac LC III (or is the LC II?) with the built-in Apple II compatibility card.

Like all my other systems, their mostly used for games. AtariSoft titles like Moon Patrol and Mario Brothers, and Broderbund titles like Lode Runner, Choplifter and David's Midnight Magic, get the most play.

I got an Apple IIe Platinum with the following options installed:

64KB 80-Column card

Super Serial Card

Mockingboard V1

Mockingboard V1

Mouse Card

Disk Controller

I also have outside the unit:

Apple Mouse

DuoDisk Drive

Apple IIe Composite Monitor

My ultimate 8-bit Apple II gaming machine is almost complete. But I need the following:

Apple Powered Speakers

Apple IIe/IIc Joystick

Apple IIe/IIc Paddles

If anyone can help me out, I would appreciate it. Now the only problem is getting all the copy protected games from disk images to the Apple II.

I've ended up passing on picking up some Apple II stuff because I don't have any more room for them. I very nearly bought an Apple IIc earlier in the year from a thrift, but all the components were separated and priced individually, like the power supply, the monitor, and the computer. I'm going to have to wait until I get all my junk cleared out of the way of the computer table.

I just bought Exodus: Ultima III at a Goodwill store for the Apple, enhanced for the Mockingboard. It seems to be missing the cloth map and one of the books. Now that I have some software to play on one, I need to find an Apple II!