IGNORED

Flashback 2 cart for a 2600

I know you can dump the roms from the flashback 2, but what about the menu system?  Do current methods access that region of ROM?  Would that menu's code be compatible with 2600 or does the fb2 have some new instructions?  Would you be able to make a multicart from the dump to use on a 2600, hidden paddle games and all.

Thanks!

979067[/snapback]

I suppose it may be possible to dump the menu, but the menu system is definitely not 2600 compatible.

As for a cart of any/all games, some games require Superchip (aka SARA) RAM, so it's not practical (yet)

Edited by batari

instead of dumping the code ,how about unsoldering the chip which contains the games and soldering it to a blank board. right before leaving to work I started checking continuity from the chip to the solder points 1~24 used for the cart mod. I wasn't able to finish, almost late for work.(The things we do for the 2600) but before I stopped I did identify more than half of the pins .Next step is to see what voltage is being applied to it and which pins. I have a defective game I'll use for the test and hope for the best. .........Hey that rhymes...........

Lunar Lander needs a superchip to run perfect but if you just use the dump of the game on an f8 bankswitched board it runs great. All your missing is the speed & direction idicators at the top of the screen. You just have to judge the speed of the ship and I find it works well. I have no problem ladling the ship without them. As for Yar's Return I have yet to try that on a normal board aposed to a SARA. I would expect more problems with that one than lunar lander. So long story short : lunar lander doesn't need SARA to be playable.

Lunar Lander needs a superchip to run perfect but if you just use the dump of the game on an f8 bankswitched board it runs great. All your missing is the speed & direction idicators at the top of the screen. You just have to judge the speed of the ship and I find it works well. I have no problem ladling the ship without them. As for Yar's Return I have yet to try that on a normal board aposed to a SARA. I would expect more problems with that one than lunar lander. So long story short : lunar lander doesn't need SARA to be playable.

979685[/snapback]

On the other hand, the top portion of the FB2 Lunar Lander display is the only part IMHO that shows any technical merit. I did a tech demo of Lunar Lander which features a SMOOTHLY-rotating ship (256 increments) against a high-resolution background and fits in 4K with no superchip. A real game with multiple backgrounds should be doable in 16K, again with no superchip.

As for Yar's Return I have yet to try that on a normal board aposed to a SARA. I would expect more problems with that one than lunar lander. So long story short : lunar lander doesn't need SARA to be playable.

Yar's Return does use the superchip and it needs it too. There is not enough ZP RAM to hold the right shield data for both players.

Seems to me "Atari" is missing the boat on this. They could sell a cart with these games on it to the retro crowd at $20 - $25 a pop. Would win over some fans too....

-Tim

979606[/snapback]

Absolutely! But for the same reason they don't put a cart port on a FB2, they don't want to be inundated with calls servicing 30 year old hardware.

They market more to the general public rather than the atari junkies like us.

The ability to easily ad the cart port shows the engineers had us in mind through the design process.

I did a tech demo of Lunar Lander which features a SMOOTHLY-rotating ship (256 increments) against a high-resolution background and fits in 4K with no superchip.  A real game with multiple backgrounds should be doable in 16K, again with no superchip.

979711[/snapback]

Will this ever become a full out game?? It looked better than the FB2 version (no offense to the coder).