IGNORED

Help in making a coleco cart.

Dan6305

Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

I am using old Colecovision catridge boards to put other eproms in them.

Some carts have 2 eproms in them(Space Panic and Carnival) and others have 3 proms in them(Donkey Kong). I did burn the game on a 27c512 eprom.

How do I get one 16K OR 32k game eprom to work on these old Coleco game boards. I have de-soldered the old chips and soldered in sockets to swap out chips.

Thanks to anyone that can help!

You don't. The original pcbs won't work with 27C512. You'll have to use the same type that Coleco used. EPROMS with higher capacity will need additional logic.

980630[/snapback]

Thanks!! That gets me going in the right direction. One more question.

If the cart used 2 2764 eproms or 3 2732 for 16K and 12K games how do you break up the 16k bin game file to go onto 2 chips. Is it the first 8K on one chip and the last 8K on the other? Help.

Thanks Again!

Hmm, are there actually any 12k games?

From what I remember it's like this:

8k = 1 2764

16k = 2 2764s

24k = 3 2764s

32k = 4 2764s

If you have a 16K game BIN, then you split it in half and put it on two 2764s.

Mitch

980732[/snapback]

I do think you are are about 12K games. What made me think that, in Donkey Kong there are 3 proms in it. They are 24pin and only say Coleco. If DK is a 16K cart what K are the 3 proms on the board?

Thanks for the replies!!

Dan

Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

I am using old Colecovision catridge boards to put other eproms in them.

Some carts have 2 eproms in them(Space Panic and Carnival) and others have 3 proms in them(Donkey Kong). I did burn the game on a 27c512 eprom.

How do I get one 16K OR 32k game eprom to work on these old Coleco game boards. I have de-soldered the old chips and soldered in sockets to swap out chips.

Thanks to anyone that can help!

You can't. The old boards are all for 24-pin chips. It's way too much work even for a scrounger like me.

Get the Pixels Past boards and use a 27256 (32K) or 27128 (16K).

Hmm, you're right Bruce, that's what I get for checking an Activision board instead of a Coleco one. :roll:

I just opened a Donkey Kong and it has two 8K 24 pin PROMs, obviously not pin compatible with a 2764.

Dan, I second Bruce's recomendation of the Pixels Past boards, that's what I use for testing myself.

Mitch

The reason your Donkey Kong has 3 chips is because it's the 24K version. There was some obscure bug in the 16K version, and the fix made it go over 16K. The chips are 24-pin 8K ROMs. There is no standard EPROM equivalent for that pinout. (Motorola did make a 24-pin 8K EPROM, but it uses a significantly different pinout.)

The reason your Donkey Kong has 3 chips is because it's the 24K version.  There was some obscure bug in the 16K version, and the fix made it go over 16K.  The chips are 24-pin 8K ROMs.  There is no standard EPROM equivalent for that pinout.  (Motorola did make a 24-pin 8K EPROM, but it uses a significantly different pinout.)

981461[/snapback]

Thanks to all who have replied!! The Coleco carts that have two 2764 eproms in them. I did erase them. Can a different game be burned on them by loading the 16K bin file and splitting it between the two eproms? I am using a rommax epromer. My split function does it by even and odd hex numbers. I do not think thats the proper way. I am VERY new at this so all info is a great help.

Thanks to all again!

Dan