IGNORED

7800 computer - finally !

Curt Vendel

Okay, now that I finally have a break to go back to doing some fun hobby related stuff I'm back to work on the 7800 computer... The code porting over to a new PIC will be completely done after the New Year, then to do some testing and refinements and start working on the pcb layouts and such.

Next is a consolidation of the original 7800 RAM/ROM carts (big suckers!!!) that hold the Basic and VideoWriter and put them both onto one cart with a select switch and make them a normal 7800 cart formfactor. I will probably get the Atarilab 7800 Temp and Light carts out first since those are straight rom carts not requiring the additional RAM like Basic and Videowriter.

I want to shoot for around mid February to start offering these, so the two things:

1. I would like anyone who is interested in purchasing a computer module and carts to email me please:

curt@atarimuseum.com and just put the subject line as 7800 Computer keyboard.

2. I am not taking pre-orders or down payments, I don't like to have to hold people's money and then have them emailing me wanting to know the status, so when I've built enough units to start the first batch I'm going to setup a simple storefront or perhaps ask Albert here to setup a storefront page and have them sold direct to everyone.

I would like to get these done and out to the door for everyone in February because come March things start to pick up and by April/May its insanity with product work and I won't have enough time, so I would just ask everyone to let me know the interest level so I'll have an idea of how many I'm going to need to make and what quantities of parts I should buy for the builds.

Thanks,

Curt

The SIO bus is being fully implemented on the keyboard just as it was on the original. Someone will need to modify a DOS to work with it though. Basic and the Videowriter will support tape drive backups and use of Atari Printers without any DOS.

Curt

Whoa!! Cool man!! Will there be any sort of information storage device available or involved (weren't the 7800 computers supposed to be compatible with all A8 storage devices)? We need more information. Wow.

981372[/snapback]

Are there any documents on the Basic, such as a command list or anything? It would be nice to try to convert some basic programs from other computers.

Allan

981483[/snapback]

I think I remember hearing that the 7800 Basic was a slightly modified version of the Atari 8bit computer Basic.

Mitch

I'm gonna cry if I don't have the money for the 7800 computer & carts when the time comes to buy. Damn I wish I didn't have to be responsable and pay bills and eat food and raise my kids and stuff like that ;) . Then I could spend every last cent on what I want to do not what I need to do...lol.. :cool:..as always j/k. (But I will cry if I don't get this, that part I did mean)

Edited by silver_surfer

Forgive my lack of knowledge in this subject, but I'm not sure what hardware is being discussed.

Isn't this a separate device from the 7800? I saw pricing for the keyboard, and a couple of other things, but not the computer itself.

Is it a totally separate 7800 based computer, or it is a set of devices that hook to a 7800 to make it into a computer?

If it's going to be good for development, I definitely want one, but it'll probably be the middle of next summer before I've got enough cash saved.

Forgive my lack of knowledge in this subject, but I'm not sure what hardware is being discussed.

Isn't this a separate device from the 7800?  I saw pricing for the keyboard, and a couple of other things, but not the computer itself.

Is it a totally separate 7800 based computer, or it is a set of devices that hook to a 7800 to make it into a computer?

If it's going to be good for development, I definitely want one, but it'll probably be the middle of next summer before I've got enough cash saved.

981530[/snapback]

It's a add on for the 7800, one that was prototyped but never saw the light of day.

EDIT: Never saw retail is more like it.

Edited by silver_surfer

I don't see why not, for the two carts that require RAM it might need a new banking file though.

981579[/snapback]

True, but I wanted to know if you can access the MMC card from the keyboard. It would be cool if you could access 2 Gigs(fat16 limit) worth of storage.

981595[/snapback]

Hmm, not sure how that would work, I don't think you can write to the MMC from the 7800. Probably need to check with Chad on that one.

SIO2PC or APE should work though, if the program you write supports the standard SIO floppy drive.

Mitch

Hmm, not sure how that would work, I don't think you can write to the MMC from the 7800. Probably need to check with Chad on that one.

SIO2PC or APE should work though, if the program you write supports the standard SIO floppy drive.

Mitch

981599[/snapback]

My god this keyboard is going to open up so many new doors for the 7800. I cannot wait :lust:

Are there any documents on the Basic, such as a command list or anything? It would be nice to try to convert some basic programs from other computers.

Allan

981483[/snapback]

I think I remember hearing that the 7800 Basic was a slightly modified version of the Atari 8bit computer Basic.

Mitch

981508[/snapback]

Yea, I think I remember reading that Bill Wilkinson (sp?) did the basic, the same guy who did Atari Basic on the 8-bits. I wonder if it had any graphics commands. Can't wait to play with it.

Allan