IGNORED

Homebrew cases

MoonlightKnight

Ok, I have a question...

I've been wondering why it is that all homebrews come in old Atari cases?

I mean... I realize there are alot of Combat carts out there that need to be put down... but why couldn't a homebrew come in another cart?

Just curious... is there any reason that COULDN'T happen? I would love to see a homebrew come in an Activison case... I always did like the look of those cases.

Ok, I have a question...

I mean... I realize there are alot of Combat carts out there that need to be put down... but why couldn't a homebrew come in another cart?

Just curious... is there any reason that COULDN'T happen? I would love to see a homebrew come in an Activison case... I always did like the look of those cases.

Part of the reason is that the insides aren't necessarily the same. A board which fits in a standard Atari case won't necessarily fit in any other case. And Atari cases are a LOT more common. And then you'd have to make a label to fit the different case.

Also, some carts are way too hard to reuse. Parker Brothers usually glued their carts together. So even if you remove the label and the screw, you're still not going to get that thing apart without breaking the case into bits.

985781[/snapback]

Atari is not necessarily the easiest case to use, nor is a game like Combat the most "deserving". On the other hand, different cases would need slightly different board designs to make a good fit and it makes sense to design a board for the most plentiful case.

If one had an ample supply of Froggo 'Karate' carts, those might be a reasonable choice for 4K homebrews since (1) the board will accept a 2764/27C64 without modification, and (2) the game is such a piece of junk that trashing it is no loss. But I don't know of an ample supply of Karates.