IGNORED

Multicart

s0c7

Let's try this again. :)

This was the 1st bB program I did. It showed (the source in particular was a mess).

Now that I have a little better feel for the 2600 as a platform and feel a little more comfortable doing BASIC again, I wanted to redo this. I probably should have started over from scratch, but whatever. I've redone maybe 75% of what was there. It doesn't show so much playing the game, but you'll notice a few subtle differences.

Anyway, this is only the 1st build. Still needs tweaking. My intention is pair this with a slightly updated version of Pirate and maybe something else when the next version of bB comes out. I've done some tests and a multi-game bin should be no problem.

In the meantime, my biggest question is about the initial stage. When you have the dual enemy jets on the screen and you shoot one, you advance to the next two. I kind of like it like that (reminds me of Combat). Would this be better : you have two enemy jets, shoot one, one left, shoot it, two more. I sort of think that would disrupt the flow, but I've been known to be wrong. Opinions?

For those that have never played it before, yes it is in b&w. Beat the game and it will unlock the color version (fight your way through to the bomber and shoot it down before running out of missiles).

Left difficulty switch toggles 1-p 2-p (player 2 controls the enemy jets).

Edited by s0c7

So this is really a game based on the Wizard of Oz movie?

985832[/snapback]

Yeah, check the original thread - "Over the rainbow" mode.

Actually it was just a concession to "modern" gamers. Kids today have probably never even seen a b&w tv or videogame (outside of MAME). You can keep playing in b&w by flipping the b&w switch.

I'm also open to color scheme preferences.

• 4 weeks later...

And the tweaking continues...

Game has (once again) gone through a fairly major change to the way it works. This is more of less what I wanted in the first place but at the time couldn't do it with the older bB limitations and my lack of 2600 experience. Basically I'm shooting for "Phantom II Lite". :)

The game is timed now (before you complain, so is the game I'm basing it off of). I haven't got the timing down quite right yet, so there isn't any kind of indicator on the screen telling you how much time is left. As such, the game will abruptly stop. When this happens, times up. That will be fixed in a later version. Still deciding how I want to represent it on the screen.

Left difficulty switch control missile type : A = guided missile B = regular

Color mode has been removed. For the moment, so has 2 player mode. The bomber is still there. If you can get to it (I doubt it at the moment) and shoot it down, you'll get extra time. The score is now actually a score. Radar mode is present, but it is a little different from the arcade. Fire will now start a new game (don't have to hit reset anymore - but it still works).

Edited by s0c7

Another "rough" transitional build. F-4 is getting there. Fixed a couple of bugs from last time. Added a timer bar on the left side of the screen. Shoot down the bomber to go to the next round and get more time. Points for a hit are based on round level.

Some new switch layouts:

Left Difficulty Switch - A = Normal Missile B = Guided Missile

Right Difficulty Switch - A = You have to press fire each time B = Can hold fire down

Select switch = return to main menu

The main menu is something I quickly slapped together (not getting much free time these days). Move left/right to change selections. Fire to select. The airplane represents F-4 and the treasure chest Pirate.

I haven't had time to do much with Pirate yet, besides getting it to co-exist in the same bin. At the moment, everything will always be in the same location the 1st time you play. After that it should mix it up. I'll fix that next time. The seed was tied to the title screen that isn't there anymore.

This particular bin was generated with the bleeding edge build. 8k bankswitched.

Edited by s0c7

Many minor changes. The random seed has been fixed for Pirate. Both games will now restart with either the fire button or restart switch. F-4 no longer automatically fires when you 1st start it. The menu graphics have been changed.

Edited by s0c7

It's funny, but I think your Batari Basic game is more interesting than a lot of commercially released games. And I really like the idea of starting in B+W, with color mode being given only as a 'reward'! :D Is this based on an old arcade game called F-4?

However I can't figure out how to play the Pirate game.

Edited by ls650

Thanks!

The arcade game is Phantom II (available in MAME). As it isn't a direct port, I don't feel right calling it that. Since the actual jet is a F-4 Phantom, I chose F-4.

At the moment color mode has been removed, but as you have shown an interest in it, I'll try to put it back in the next version. Probably if you clear x number of rounds without running out of time.

Pirate confuses a lot of people at first. Here's a manual I wrote for it.

I'm fond of the old 8-bit Avalon Hill games circa 1980 and it's kind of like those - short, and random. Some people like that, a lot don't. I'll probably add a little to it as time permits.

Edited by s0c7

Some changes to F-4 :

Color mode has been reinstated. If you can shoot down the bomber 3 times it will enable color mode (you have to play the b&w game to completion though - you won't get color until you start the next game). Let me know if you think this is too easy a goal, I can always make it harder.

The game will remeber color has been enabled if you hit reset, but if you return to the main menu it will forget. Keep that in mind.

A few other minor changes

I decided to give you the points for the other jet if you collide.

The game will give you less time back once you pass certain milestones.

EDIT: (Forgot to mention)

B&W switch will give you B&W if you have unlocked color.

Edited by s0c7

• 1 month later...

Finally got the source semi-cleaned up and commented.

batari - If you get a few minutes, could you take a look at the source. Note how I'm handling the multiple games. I'm having a issue trying to increase this beyond 8k. I'm sure it's due to my misunderstanding of how bank-switching works in bB. If the only change I make is to change the romsize to 16k, Pirate will drop you back to the menu when you select it. I'm sure this has something to do with the data being relocated to bank 4, but I'm not exactly sure what to do about it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

- David

Edited by s0c7

Finally got the source semi-cleaned up and commented.

batari - If you get a few minutes, could you take a look at the source.  Note how I'm handling the multiple games.  I'm having a issue trying to increase this beyond 8k.  I'm sure it's due to my misunderstanding of how bank-switching works in bB.  If the only change I make is to change the romsize to 16k, Pirate will drop you back to the menu when you select it.  I'm sure this has something to do with the data being relocated to bank 4, but I'm not exactly sure what to do about it.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

- David

1029769[/snapback]

Seems to be a bug in bB - thanks for pointing me toward it.

The problem is with pfpixel, in the pf_drawing.asm file. Here's the updated file - just overwrite your existing file and the game should work again.

pf_drawing.zip

• 2 weeks later...

For once, no changes to F-4.

Added Panther. Made a few modifications from the original demo version:

- You can no longer flip a switch back after having flipped it. It can only return to its original state when you select a switch out of sequence. Originally it allowed you to flip them back off. If you just stood in front of the 1st correct switch and flipped it on and off you could rack up points. No more.

- You no longer have to be right next to the wall to flip a switch. I've moved it out to within 3 pixels. Makes flipping switches a lot easier. May even move it out 1 or 2 more pixels in the future.

- Also smoothed it out a little. You should be able to flip a switch while in motion.

- Made the usual multicart changes. Select takes you back to the menu. Fire (after a slight delay) & reset will start a new game after game over.

Many changes to Pirate:

*** If you've never played before, please read the docs a few posts up, then read these revisions before trying to play. Will save you much confusion.

- Snakes (yes, plural) all have 1 hit point.

- You now have 3 hit points at the start of each game. Display screen is light green when you are at 3, yellow when at 2, red when at 1. After that RIP.

- LeDuc has between 1 and 5 hit points (randomly decided at the start). He still steals the shovel if you run away from him.

- The flower now assumes the importance I had originally envisioned for it.

- You may now fight anything (no more automatic death) with either your fists, shovel, or sword (will automatically use whatever the best option is). Each tilts the odds a little more in your favor. Snakes are still easier to hit than LeDuc.

Am looking at revising the combat system to allow you to specify sword thrusts (ex. thrust high, slash right, etc.). This would modify the combat results based on how each of you attack. We'll see how it goes. May add another enemy as well.

Edited by s0c7

Changes:

F-4:

- I’ve been experimenting for a while now trying to figure out the best way to do the “Radar” section. Didn’t like my original version, but it was a place to start from. Anyway, I’m quite pleased with the new way it works. The radar wave is represented by hash marks on the sides of the screen. When the wave passes over the enemy jet it will momentarily become visible.

- Lowered the initial amount of time (you shouldn’t have to waste a lot of time firing blindly during the radar section anymore). Makes unlocking color mode a little more challenging.

Panther:

- If you clear a round without getting any switches wrong you now will score more points (1000 vs 100). Also, the inspector will be set back to his slowest speed.

- Smoothed a few more minor things out.

Got lucky this week and had some free time to mess with this (as opposed to 15 min. here and there). This will be the last update for a while though.

Pirate:

- You may now enter the hut on the island (although you may not want to).

- New enemy – the voodoo priestess. She lives in the hut, and never ventures out. Therefore you can ignore her if you wish. However, if you kill her all the snakes on the island will return to their holes. One warning though, if you enter her hut you will be trapped and cannot run. It’s a win/lose battle. She has between 2 – 4 hit points. Hit fire to enter/leave the hut.

- Raised the low end of LeDuc’s hit points (now 2 – 5).

- General space crunching and cleanup

Edited by s0c7

• 2 weeks later...

Changes:

F-4 :

- Enemy jets get slightly more evasive each round.

- After the 3rd bomber, there is now what amounts to a “bonus” stage. This is what unlocks color mode (only present in the locked game).

- A few other minor tweaks.

Panther:

- Just about the time the Inspector starts to get annoying, the number of switches increases to 6. :twisted:

Edited by s0c7

Mostly minor cleanup fixes. The big news this time out is PAL support. I've only tested it in Z26, but it seems ok.

Also, I need opinions. I've added flicker to Panther. Is it "too much" (too hard to see, hurt your eyes?)

Edited by s0c7

Mostly minor cleanup fixes. The big news this time out is PAL support. I've only tested it in Z26, but it seems ok.

Also, I need opinions. I've added flicker to Panther. Is it "too much" (too hard to see, hurt your eyes?)

Hi

tested the Pal version.Seems to be ok;no flicker hurts my eyes.Great work,especially Pirate is really great.

greetings gambler172

Hi

tested the Pal version.Seems to be ok;no flicker hurts my eyes.Great work,especially Pirate is really great.

greetings gambler172

Greetings gambler172,

Thanks for the kind words and especially for testing out the PAL bin. A lot of the people who like my stuff seem to be from Europe or South America so I've been wanting to do a PAL version for a while now. Going forward, anything I do will have NTSC & PAL versions.

You're probably Pirate's biggest fan, going all the way back to the original thread. :ahoy:

- David

• 3 weeks later...

Final release (It’s been a lot of fun, but I’m calling it a day).

F-4 – Bonus UFO is now normal sized.

Pirate – The shovel now has the possibility of being inside the hut.

Panther – Minor graphic changes.

RPS Fight – Bug-fixed from the demo I put out earlier. Added a few sounds. First one to 5 wins. Standard multi-cart changes (Game Select takes you to the main menu, etc). It is what it is (I have maybe 2 – 3 hours work in it total ;) ).

Edited by s0c7

F-4 & Panther are both excellent games that show a real mastery of the system. I bet your games made some naysayers eat their words. Pirate seems more like a demo of an adventure game. It's fun and very well designed, but tiny. Do you plan on expanding it for a sequal or using it as an engine for other games? RPS Fight - I was trying the same thing for the same reason when I first downloaded bB! I used the 2 sprites together like you did in pirate, to create rps hands, then flickered them to create player2. I think your flicker is a little too much, and mine definately was, good thing for the msk :)

Pirate seems more like a demo of an adventure game. It's fun and very well designed, but tiny. Do you plan on expanding it for a sequal or using it as an engine for other games?

Pirate was based more on early computer adventure games you used to find in books/magazines back in the 70's. Ususally you were on a NxN grid and everything was represented by ascii characters. This spiced it up a little, but at its heart it's still the same thing. They were usually pretty small.

Not having a lot of free time these days (the older you get the worse it gets), I prefer games that can be played during short windows of time. You'll note in all my games you only get one life.

I had considered doing a Bard's Tale/Wizardry-esque game (I had done a few tests for 3D-maze movement, etc.) but it's not something I have any immediate plans for. I'm retiring from the Atari scene for the time being.

Yeah, RPSF is a flicker-fest. I had to adjust the flicker for the PAL version to get it to look as good as it does. Originally it was even worse. Still, its addition gives the whole cart a "Asian/European Pirate Cart" type vibe, which gives me some degree of perverse pleasure. I should probably call it "Super Happy Fun Cart" or some other such nonsense. :roll:

Edited by s0c7