IGNORED

Adventure II on 5200

Dragonkiller

Hello all,

Forgive me please if this has previously been addressed, but does anyone know why the long-awaited Adventure sequel was released for the 5200 and not the 7800? I don't own a 5200 (and never did) and really don't like the thought of having to purchase one just to play this game.

Is there any type of cartridge converter available that allows 5200 games to be played on a 7800 system? I have looked far and wide to no avail. Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

The "original" Dragonkiller

The game was designed for the 5200 because the author of the game likes programming games for the 5200 and he knows he has a dedicated fanbase here who will definitely support any future 5200 projects he chooses to do. The 7800 is also a system that only a handful of people understand how to program for, though 7800 homebrews are currently underway.

As for the second part of the question: no. While it may be feasible, it would probably cost about twice as much as it would to buy a 5200 and a working controller.

I just spotted this thread, here is ... the REST ... of the story. :)

Eh, sku_u is correct. I'm a diehard Atari 5200 fan. I know how to program the 5200. Thus, Adv II is on 5200. But in actuality, an "Adventure 2" game, subtitled "Son of Square", had ALREADY been started by Maurice Molyneux and Alan Davis before I knew how to code a single statement of 6502 Assembly language, and it was seeing the original mock-ups of THAT project that inspired me to join with Alan and then Raccoon Lad to get this game done.

Personally, I have had a certain 'vision' to what I wanted in 5200 Adv II, and believe it or not, some of those 'things' haven't been seen yet. In fact, I just put one in today -- you can switch that vertically oriented bridge into a side-bridge and cross over the background that way, too. I should have put in this feature long ago, but for some reason, there were always bigger problems to resolve first. It changes (improves!) the gameplay SO MUCH ... you guys will love this game play mechanism! Back to work I go ...