IGNORED

Atari for Christmas...25 years later!

Hey gang,

It's my first post and I have a comment and a question for you all. I got an Atari Flashback 2 for Christmas, and it's quite the trip down memory lane, considering that it was 25 years ago that I got the Atari 2600. It's been a blast so far, and I'm enjoying it immensely.

However, sometimes the screen will shake a bit during play. It occured a couple of times during Adventure 2, and it occurs during Asteroids Deluxe. Also, sometimes it takes more than one attempt to turn it on. On occasion the main menu screen won't show up, but rather a screen with varying bars of color and a buzzing noise occurs.

Do ya think I should bother with replacing it? I don't know if this is a common problem or

not. It seems fine overall apart from the occasional glitchiness.

Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it!

Alas, I live in a one-TV household, so I won't be able to do that. I'll try it out for a couple of weeks, and if it's something that I can live with that'll be fine. If it gets worse or really bothers me, I can exchange it.

Does this sound like anything that you've heard about, or is it an isolated occurence?

Thanks again!

PS - I just saw something on the forum regarding a Flashback 3. What's the scoop on that???

First off, welcome.

Try plugging it into the AV imput of another television.  If it happens there as well, it may be defective and need to be exchanged.

990493[/snapback]

Hi Dana P.

The Flashback 3 is the upcoming (but nothing is certain yet) sequel to the Flashback 2. Some believe it will be based on the Atari 5200/400/800 systems, or something else... It has been hinted that it will have a way of loading new games/software onto it. Read the FB3 thread for more info.

Cheers,

Tony :)

Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it!

Alas, I live in a one-TV household, so I won't be able to do that.  I'll try it out for a couple of weeks, and if it's something that I can live with that'll be fine.  If it gets worse or really bothers me, I can exchange it.

Does this sound like anything that you've heard about, or is it an isolated occurence? 

Thanks again!

PS - I just saw something on the forum regarding a Flashback 3.  What's the scoop on that???

First off, welcome.

Try plugging it into the AV imput of another television.  If it happens there as well, it may be defective and need to be exchanged.

990493[/snapback]

990503[/snapback]

I just got mine as well. Here in Richmond, VA, they are hard as hell to find. I found two at a Best Buy and also at a Gamestop. Everywhere else were sold out. I had seen a huge display of them at a Wal-Mart several days before Christmas. They sold 'em all by Christmas. Anyway, I must say that is terrific. The best of the of the plug ins yet. Atari did an excellent job on the product and the packaging. I like the box, though Curt's proto box looked very cool indeed. The current box, btw, is what helped me find the bloody thing. It stood out at the Best Buy. So, maybe the marketing folks were'nt so far off! ;)

Anyway, I did notice some screen tear and rolling on a couple of games (don't remember which ones, sorry.) I discovered that it DID matter as to which device I used as a monitor. The little Sony PSone screen had some tear on two of the games (Battlezone, I think, was one) and it rolled several times on the Saboteur game. An older TV (with a VCR built into it!) works just fine with it. It's our video game tv anyway (N64, Commodore Stick, several other x-in-1 units, PC) so I will probably use it most often. I do like being able to use the PSone screen, though, since it is sharper (because of it's size, I guess) than the older tv set. I am going to try it on the 60 incher tomorrow. That should be interesting.

I am a bit puzzled about some of the games though. According to the pdf manual I downloaded from this forum, Arcade Asteroids is supposed to have a two player (on screen) version. How the heck do you get that to work? I've tried the select button to change the variations, but I've not seen this particular two player mode. Anyone know how to get to it? I MUST be doing something wrong or I've just mis-read the manual.

Curt, your team did a tremendous job on this. I sure hope the 2.5 or 3 is just as good or better. Oh, I love the FB 1 too. Some of those ports blow chunks, but I don't care. The feel is there and some of the games are down right addictive (Solaris, anyone?)

Cheers and Happy New Year to all!

I got one for Christmas too!  I haven't determined if it is RevA or RevB.  Plus inside the box was the Atari Anniv CD of arcade games!  (was this bonus only in the early RevA ??)

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

990722[/snapback]

Whoah. I have one I picked up awhile back and have yet to open. I wonder if mine contains a CD...Where did you get yours? I had the old version for awhile. I had gotten from WalMart but I gave it away. That one didnt have a CD in it.

It's my first post and I have a comment and a question for you all. I got an Atari Flashback 2 for Christmas, and it's quite the trip down memory lane, considering that it was 25 years ago that I got the Atari 2600. It's been a blast so far, and I'm enjoying it immensely.

Welcome to AA and I'm glad you enjoy the unit.

I am a bit puzzled about some of the games though.  According to the pdf manual I downloaded from this forum, Arcade Asteroids is supposed to have a two player (on screen) version.  How the heck do you get that to work?  I've tried the select button to change the variations, but I've not seen this particular two player mode.  Anyone know how to get to it?  I MUST be doing something wrong or I've just mis-read the manual.

I think that's a misprint. This is an option for Space Duel but I haven't run across this for Arcade Asteroids. I could be wrong though. I've only played it briefly the other night.

I got one for Christmas too! I haven't determined if it is RevA or RevB. Plus inside the box was the Atari Anniv CD of arcade games! (was this bonus only in the early RevA ??)

I'm glad you finally got see this in person Rob. I'm going to have to make a trip down to see you.

Whoah. I have one I picked up awhile back and have yet to open. I wonder if mine contains a CD...Where did you get yours?

His may have come from QVC. I know they were offering a CD with their package.

Thanks for the replies, gang. I appreciate it!

Welcome to AA and I'm glad you enjoy the unit.

I am a bit puzzled about some of the games though.  According to the pdf manual I downloaded from this forum, Arcade Asteroids is supposed to have a two player (on screen) version.  How the heck do you get that to work?  I've tried the select button to change the variations, but I've not seen this particular two player mode.  Anyone know how to get to it?  I MUST be doing something wrong or I've just mis-read the manual.

I think that's a misprint. This is an option for Space Duel but I haven't run across this for Arcade Asteroids. I could be wrong though. I've only played it briefly the other night.

I got one for Christmas too! I haven't determined if it is RevA or RevB. Plus inside the box was the Atari Anniv CD of arcade games! (was this bonus only in the early RevA ??)

I'm glad you finally got see this in person Rob. I'm going to have to make a trip down to see you.

Whoah. I have one I picked up awhile back and have yet to open. I wonder if mine contains a CD...Where did you get yours?

His may have come from QVC. I know they were offering a CD with their package.

990750[/snapback]

Where did you get yours? I had the old version for awhile. I had gotten from WalMart but I gave it away. That one didnt have a CD in it.

990729[/snapback]

A friend surprised me with it! I think that she got it from WalMart. The CD has the same arcade hits that the 80-in-one CD has. I like the included CD better than the 80 CD because of a faster load to arcade games which work with the Stelladaptor.

I have yet to try out the console for fear that it will be RevA.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA