IGNORED

Flashback 2 pong error?

Hey guys, I love the old classic games and my uncle bought me a flashback 2 for christmas. I'm having a blast with it, but I noticed something wrong. While playing pong, if someone on the right side trys to hit the ball back when it goes to the top right hand corner it goes right through the paddle. Is this happening to anyone else? And is there anyway to fix it?

IIRC, this was a flaw in the original game as well. I happen to have a pre-Atari "Telstar Ranger", which has 4 pong games on it. The same problem happens on that system as well. I can only guess that the x/y on that upper corner is faulty? Maybe the code conflicts in some way?

It does seem odd...but every version I've ever played(including the arcard versions, from various manufacturers) have the same glitch. I'm wondering if there is a "dead spot", where the border meets the paddle....they appear to be connected, but a small gap exists(or, rather, the machine sees it that way).

• 3 weeks later...
Hey guys, I love the old classic games and my uncle bought me a flashback 2 for christmas. I'm having a blast with it, but I noticed something wrong. While playing pong, if someone on the right side trys to hit the ball back when it goes to the top right hand corner it goes right through the paddle. Is this happening to anyone else? And is there anyway to fix it?

991590[/snapback]

Looking at the partial schematics for Pong, I wonder if that might be a "bug" in the original vertical direction hardware. Essentially, the vertical direction is reversed any frame when the ball is vertically out of bounds, but the direction is forced according to the paddle any time the ball hits it. I can imagine that the system could misbehave if the ball hits the paddle in such a way as to force it into the top of the screen.

On the other hand, I'm not quite sure what the effect of that would be. I would think that it would actually end up causing the ball to travel "horizontally" (actually zig-zagging up and down every frame) along the screen border. If anything though, I'd think that would result in a point for the person who hit the ball when it was against the border, rather than a point for his opponent.

• 1 month later...
Iggy*SJB,Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:03 AM]IIRC, this was a flaw in the original game as well. I happen to have a pre-Atari "Telstar Ranger", which has 4 pong games on it. The same problem happens on that system as well. I can only guess that the x/y on that upper corner is faulty? Maybe the code conflicts in some way?

991769[/snapback]

I finally figure out that was why I was getting my b*tt kicked in pong 20+ years after the fact. Was this bug in the dedicated pong systems too.

Edited by Almost Rice

I think it's almost amazing how those crappy FB2 programmers couldn't even do Pong properly. All it has to display is two paddles, a net and a ball, (which the VCS was made for!) yet they manage to have the ball sprite teared as it moves accross the screen :ponder:

I think it's almost amazing how those crappy FB2 programmers couldn't even do Pong properly. All it has to display is two paddles, a net and a ball, (which the VCS was made for!) yet they manage to have the ball sprite teared as it moves accross the screen :ponder:

1029099[/snapback]

I dare you to disassemble and fix the game.

1029099[/snapback]

I dare you to disassemble and fix the game.

1029144[/snapback]

:D

Edited by DEBRO

Um... "dare" means "challenge" in this context? I actually don't see any challenge. Should be a matter of an hour or so to fix the tearing. Dennis probably already did, if I don't misinterpret his smiley.

BTW: Does the game have rolling problems on some TVs? Just curious as it does 280 scanlines.