IGNORED

C64 -> Atari 2600 port #01

Cybergoth

Which of these C64 classics would you like to see on the 2600?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these C64 classics would you like to see on the 2600?

• Archon
    • Aztec Challenge
    • Beach-Head
    • Blue Max
    • Choplifter
    • Falcon Patrol
    • Forbidden Forest
    • Fort Apocalypse
    • Frantic Freddie
    • Gateway to Apshai

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hi there!

Well, since I had no other suggestions in the pipe, I thought to start into the new year by launching a series of polls regarding C64 classics.

I personally would say "all of the above", but being forced to choose, I think it'd be either Beach Head or Gateway to Apshai for me :)

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

Well, since I had no other suggestions in the pipe, I thought to start into the new year by launching a series of polls regarding C64 classics.

I personally would say "all of the above", but being forced to choose, I think it'd be either Beach Head or Gateway to Apshai for me :)

Greetings,

Manuel

992102[/snapback]

Hi Manuel

Aztec Challenge is a work in progress of Simon Quernhorst.Its name is

AVCS Tech Challenge and it will be released soon.

greetings Gambler172 :)

Yup, I know. For this poll we're considering a full port of Aztec Challenge, not just 28% of it :)

Yes, a big part of what makes Aztec Challenge appealing for me is all the different parts together. A part or two on it's own doesn't add up to much - it's kind of like a series of minigames that collectively make a great, atmospheric game.

I have to go with GtA since that seems to be an under-represented genre on the 2600.

Archon should be doable on a big expanded RAM cart. The playing board can be done nicely with a large self-modifying kernel (flicker blinds) and can probably not be done acceptably any other way. The actual combat sequences should mostly fit the 2600's hardware pretty well. The banshee attacks would probably have to flicker, but otherwise two players and two missiles fit very well with the game's requirements.

Choplifter.  Almost tailor-made for the 2600.  Plus, I like it. ;)

992300[/snapback]

I really liked Choplifter on the Apple ][ and especially the analog joystick. The joystick code simultaneously read both axes of the stick with a precision of 64 steps. The precision control of the 'copter was quite fun.

I haven't seen a game using an analog joystick on the 2600 but it would be a nice option for Choplifter.

I haven't seen a game using an analog joystick on the 2600 but it would be a nice option for Choplifter.

992563[/snapback]

It would be necessary to use special joystick interface hardware if you don't want to severely limit the kernel. What I'd like to see would be something that would be programmed roughly like:

lda #0
 ldx #64
 stx SWCHA
 stx SWACTL
 sta SWCHA
 stx SWCHA
 sta SWCHA ; Generate 4-cycle pulse as start signal
 ldy #127
 cpy SWCHA
 ror
 cpy SWCHA
 ror
 cpy SWCHA
 ror
 cpy SWCHA
 ror
 cpy SWCHA
 ror
 cpy SWCHA
 ror
 cpy SWCHA
 ror
 cpy SWCHA
 ror
; Accumulator now holds first reading
 sta Reading1
 lda #0
 stx SWCHA
 sta SWCHA ; Generate another 4-cycle pulse as start signal
 ldy #64
 cpy SWCHA
 ror
 cpy SWCHA
 ror
 cpy SWCHA
 ror
 cpy SWCHA
 ror
 cpy SWCHA
 ror
 cpy SWCHA
 ror
 cpy SWCHA
 ror
 cpy SWCHA
 ror
 sta Reading2

Using something like that, it should be possible to read two bytes of pot data from a small micro in a very reasonable number of cycles (under two scan lines I think). The micro would probably have to have a crystal rather than an internal RC oscillator, but otherwise the basic approach should be sound.

BTW, if there's a good source for cheap lightguns that give a nice crisp output, it might be possible to use code like the above along with a small micro to provide a useful lightfun interface for the 2600. Have the 2600 generate a reference pulse at a fixed spot every frame, and let the lightgun report the number of 3579545Mhz clocks between that pulse and the lightgun input.

It would be necessary to use special joystick interface hardware if you don't want to severely limit the kernel.  What I'd like to see would be something that would be programmed roughly like:

992566[/snapback]

You really should translate some of these ideas into a proof of concept.

I'd really like to see your joystick multiplexer, for instance.

Hi there!

Archon should be doable on a big expanded RAM cart.

I always had the idea with one of those 2600-on-a-chip clones having the circuits of a second TIA placed where now only register shadows reside.

Besides 4 channel sound, you could then have all objects doubled, 4 sprites, twice the PF, etc... while being already >95% backwards compatible.

I'm aware there's probably tons of problems to solve, but I can dream, no? ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

You know, you'd think a site called "Atari Age" would be the last place where someone would refer to Atari-native titles like Archon, Blue Max, and Fort Apocalypse as "C64 classics". And Choplifter was originally an Apple II game.

Sheesh. It's not like the C64 didn't have its own memorable games.

Hi there!

You know, you'd think a site called "Atari Age" would be the last place where someone would refer to Atari-native titles like Archon, Blue Max, and Fort Apocalypse as "C64 classics"

All three of them are ranked in the Top 100 C64 games @ http://www.lemon64.com

Games get ported to other systems since the beginning. Get used to it :)

Greetings,

Manuel

Yes, they were good ports. But that's just what they were-- PORTS. If you're going to port a game to the 2600, it makes the most sense to do it from the original. So those are all disqualified... at least as "C64" games. It would be great to get a port of the Atari version of Archon, not the crappy color-limited C64 version.

Edited by ZylonBane

Hi there!

It would be great to get a port of the Atari version of Archon, not the crappy color-limited C64 version.

Makes sense, indeed :)

And I thought you where doing them alphabetically... :ponder:

Alphabetically per year :lol:

(This'll keep those polls going for a while, as long as I don't have any other ideas or get other suggestions ;))

Greetings,

Manuel

Choplifter.  Almost tailor-made for the 2600.  Plus, I like it. ;)

992300[/snapback]

Choplifter already existing on the Atari 8-bit AND the 7800. It's kinda been done to death.

992578[/snapback]

Well, now that I know how you feel about it, I'll scratch that off my SC idea list. :lol:

More seriously, almost everything has been done to death, either in direct ports or clones. Where were you in Andrew's Not-BD thread, telling him that Boulderdash has been done to death? ;)

The 2600 doesn't really have much, if anything, that's like Choplifter, which to my mind makes it a decent idea for a port.