IGNORED

Concepting a Conversion #3: Space Seeker

Cybergoth

Hi there!

In the tradition of this (annual :ponder:) series of articles after:

Concepting a Conversion #1: Fire One and

Concepting a Conversion #2: The Dreadnaught Factor

I'd now like to start some discussion regarding the Taito Arcade game Space Seeker.

The game consists of three different types of screens: The world/overview screen, a spaceship cockpit scene and a scramble like scene.

The game has an almost RTS quality flow: On the map scene you can freely move around and engage enemies, then it switches to either pseudo 3D space shooting or the scamble scene.

Let's start with the map scene:

ssarc1.gif

It shows a world map, your (squared) home base with 5 defending ships, a bunch of sattelites and 3 enemy... hm... dreadnaughts? ;)

As soon as the game starts, the dreadnaughts launch enemy fleets. See the red dots in this picture:

ssarc2.gif

The dreadnaughts may also try to shoot the defender, before you manage to engage them. The sattellites just float around their orbits, occassionally blocking your path. If they hit you, you get paralized for a few seconds.

Ok, so much for the introduction. How would this screen translate to the 2600? ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

How funny.. this is exactly the game when I was a kid I had hoped I would eventually be able to play on my Atari. Of course it never happened, and today I too wonder if it even could be done. :P But then again I've seen other miracles from you Cybergoth... so I'll be watching :D

Although I think a translation of Space Chaser would be easier to do (even though it wouldn't be a new type of game for the VCS).. that, or Scramble :-)

Hi there!

EDIT: Question: Where is the defender (the player-controlled ship, I assume) in those pics?

The small circles with the red cross. Your reserve fighters are in the rectangle. On the second picture one is flying right of the rectangle. The screen elements are rather iconic here, it's really more of a map for plotting your next move :)

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

Although I think a translation of Space Chaser would be easier to do (even though it wouldn't be a new type of game for the VCS).. that, or Scramble :-)

What I don't like about Space Chaser, is that you can't *play* it, as it really comes down to be just try & error pattern memorization, no? :twisted:

Greetings,

Manuel

The small circles with the red cross. Your reserve fighters are in the rectangle. On the second picture one is flying right of the rectangle. The screen elements are rather iconic here, it's really more of a map for plotting your next move :)

Ok; I see. Thanks.

So you've got a big ~2-colored background, approximately 9 independently moving large objects, 3+ (?) independently moving small objects, plus the stationary homebase.

I'd say use a striped, alternating color, reflected PF for the background (earth).

Use M0 for the defender maybe...with P0 for dreadnaughts and P1 for satellites. M1 for enemy fleets. Use clever movement patterns to prevent flicker. Or use intelligent flicker.

For the homebase; not sure. Could draw it with the PF.

That might be too ambitious; that's a lot of objects. Maybe striped, single-color PF for the earth.

Edited by vdub_bobby

Hi there!

For the homebase; not sure.  Could draw it with the PF.

I thought to just get rid of the homebase and display the remaining extra lifes at the bottom of the screen, just like any "normal" game :)

Here, I just finished creating this "empty" world picture:

ssarc3.gif

It's using 8 colors and lotsa 8x8 tiles for the display.

Question for an artist: Is it possible somehow to "undither" this for a clean look? After all the 2600 has 128 colors! :)

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

Question for an artist: Is it possible somehow to "undither" this for a clean look? After all the 2600 has 128 colors! :)

Ah, halfway there! It seems "undither" is called "mosaic" in PSP :lol:

This is what we'd get if each PF pixel could have its own color:

ssarc4.gif

Trying some other PSP filters now... just wait and see, we'll get that done somehow... :)

(Actually, is this something we could get displayed as is with Andrews greeting cart methods?!?)

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

(Actually, is this something we could get displayed as is with Andrews greeting cart methods?!?)
Yup.

Hm... would that technique also work, if every second line was black?

(How does it work actually? :ponder:)

As is, this is 29 PF pixels wide, requiring only PF1+PF2 and I somehow try to find a way to work sprites+repositioning scanlines in ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

I don't know anything about how possible or ridiculously hard it would be to get it to display, but I threw something together with the VCS color pallete:

Hm... unfortunately that's going to be almost as complicated as the one I posted. As soon as there's more than 1 color per scanline it get's tough... :)

I meant how you are going to display a colored, asym playfield while simultaneously drawing ~10 moving objects over the top of it.  :P

Ah, that. :lol:

Well, Andrew does it in BD with 1 sprite, Rockford. With keeping every other scannline black you might just manage to reposition and multiplex sprites. Admittedly, I don't know yet how his technique works, I've to do some homework there first ;)

Edit: Hey, we could do it just like the flashback programmers! Show the left half of the globe on frame 1, the right on frame 2, the dreadnaughts on frame 3 and the satellites on frame 4! Can't release it as homebrew then, but Atari might pay some for it :rolling:

Greetings,

Manuel

Ah, that. :lol:

:D

Well, Andrew does it in BD with 1 sprite, Rockford. With keeping every other scannline black you might just manage to reposition and multiplex sprites. Admittedly, I don't know yet how his technique works, I've to do some homework there first ;)

He used a 64K cart and bankswitched during his kernel, if I remember correctly. ;)

In BD he didn't flicker anything - he displayed different colors on different lines. I don't think that will work very well with blank lines.

If you do come up with a sprite-repositioning routine that can draw an asym playfield while repositioning sprites, please let me know. :lol:

Well, one that doesn't take 10 scanlines. :ponder:

EDIT:

Hey, we could do it just like the flashback programmers! Show the left half of the globe on frame 1, the right on frame 2, the dreadnaughts on frame 3 and the satellites on frame 4! Can't release it as homebrew then, but Atari might pay some for it.

Oh....my...:rolling:

If you're going to do that, why not just hack Pac Kong? :ponder: Atari pays for poorly written hacks, too. :P

Edited by vdub_bobby

Hi there!

If you do come up with a sprite-repositioning routine that can draw an asym playfield while repositioning sprites, please let me know. :lol:

Keep watching TJs blog :)

Edit: And didn't we just see it in the new Caverns of Mars?

Greetings,

Manuel

Keep watching TJs blog :)

With self-modifying code, a lot of RAM and a lot of ROM, you could write code like this:

cpy NextRepositionLine
  bne NoRepoThisLine
  jmp RepositionRoutine  ;<--self-modify this address 
NoRepoThisLine

Where RepositionRoutine is the address of one of many repositioning routines with the STA RESP0/1 hardcoded. That routine would have to modify the JMP instruction above to point to the appropriate RepositionRoutine for the next sprite.

And I suppose something goofy like that would be feasible in a regular cart, you'd just have to change to:

cpy NextRepositionLine
  bne NoRepoThisLine
  jmp (JmpAddress)  ;<--zero page address that is modified by the routine
NoRepoThisLine

Just have to reserve two bytes of RAM for the JMP address and have lots of ROM for all the positioning routines. Hmmm..actually, that's somewhat feasible. :ponder:

Edit: And didn't we just see it in the new Caverns of Mars?

What did we see there? I'm certainly curious. I think there were at least two, possibly three kernels on display there, not even counting the title/score screens. :o

#1. kernel had an asym PF (PF1+PF2) with repositioned sprites and no HMOVE lines, no blank lines, and no symmetrical PF lines in between the sprites. :o

#2. kernel had a sym PF with no apparent repositioned sprites (though it might be possible) but two mid-scanline playfield color changes! No HMOVE lines.

#3. kernel had a sym PF0 with no apparent asym PF1/PF2 and no apparent goofiness except for lots of repositioned sprites and no HMOVE lines!

I've got my money on HMOVE hit at cycle 73, with repeated HMOVEing of sprites in kernel #1 to reposition. Kernel #2 I dunno. Kernel #3 I think standard reposition routine (battlezone).

Definitely a skilled coder!

I still think the world is flat.

(see below)

:D ;)

Perhaps a display like this could be rounded on the sides and the land masses altered to resemble the game. I remember it being a pain in the neck to get it this far and still look decent( It's asymetric PF, using PF0-PF2, IIRC. It's been awhile ), to say nothing about adding sprite movement, etc. over the PF( though I did try to activate the ball to move inside the landmasses but didn't get very far) .

I'll leave that puzzle to you more advanced programmers to solve. :)

post-2955-1136529112_thumb.png