IGNORED

Pharoah's Curse

yuppicide

Here's a game I'd like to see designed for one of the Atari systems (2600, 5200)..

Pharoah's Curse - First picture below is a mock screenshot:

k0gc9i.jpg

In the center would be a picture of a Pharoah if possible. I just couldn't draw one myself. It would look similar to this:

eg_pharoah.jpg

Players: 1 Player Vs. Computer

Select button: Selects from three different skill levels - Beginner, Experienced, or Expert.

Gameplay: Each player gets 8 chips. Player is blue chips, Pharoah is red chips. Players take turns placing pieces on open nodes (ie: intersections or corners). Player goes first. The object is to get three pieces in a row. Making three in a row allows you to remove one of your opponent's pieces (unless the piece is in a row of three then it's locked).

After all the pieces have been placed players take turns moving to an adjacent spot to try and make three in a row.

A player with only three pieces remaining may jump to any open node. Game is over when a player has only two pieces remaining.

Players cannot move a piece back to the same spot it just came off. They must wait one more turn before doing so.

Another screenshot:

k0gind.jpg

The above screenshot shows the board with pieces laid down.

Hi there!

In Bavaria that game is just called "Mühle". Used to play it with my grandparents ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

997129[/snapback]

It is also called Nine Men's Morris. I wrote a version of it with that name for the Commodore 64 back in the 90's. It was published in Loadstar magazine on a disk. Ah memories!

Its actually not a bad choice for a game for the VCS since it never has more than 6 pieces on one horizontal line. :ponder:

Cheers!

Sorry. I made up the title. I was trying to be original.

I played the game on my Merit Megatouch bartop touchscreen game. It's called Pharoah's 9.

It would make a great port to the 2600 because it doesn't offer a lot of things on the screen and that would leave room for enhancements or just to make a small but fun game.

Looks entirely doable. So many board games, so little time. :( If anyone takes this on, I'll be happy to share my minimax code with alpha-beta pruning.

(BTW Yuppicide, Reversi Attack is still high on my to-do list, immediately behind FP.)

Edited by Zach

@zach: What is FP?! I probably should know this, but please enlighten me.

@super: Don't think it would be doable without a striped playfield?!

998763[/snapback]

It's been awhile since I've looked at Phaoroah's Curse, but my recollection is that the backgrounds were somewhat colorful. The game could probably be done without a striped-color playfield, but I think a striped-color playfield would let it look better, at least assuming the extra 5 cycles/scanline are available. Or if the playfield could have one color assymetric and one not, that could actually save cycles.

Hi there!

Do you guys play Sjoelbak over there (weird question)?

Hm... after some research I indeed found a German association for this game: http://www.jakkolo.org/

Seems like they organize tournaments and Championships.

Admittedly though, it's the first time I've ever heard about this game ;)

Greetings,

Manuel