IGNORED

bB bleeding-edge builds

batari

Since last summer, I've gotten busier and/or stupider, so it's taking me a long time to make progress on bB, and may take a little while longer before another official release. Also, I sometimes get stumped with design decisions and this stalls things even longer.

So I've decided to start posting occasional builds of bB in my blog so people can play with them and start crankin' on any games they've been waiting to write. These are bleeding-edge builds that may have bugs and are still incomplete in some way, but at least this will let people get used to the new features and maybe make suggestions as to how to make them better before an actual release.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...log&blogid=134&

Edited by batari

• 1 month later...
Getting closer to a real release, but for now, here's the latest build that fixes some critical bugs.  Should work slightly better than the last build!

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...wentry&eid=1280

1026885[/snapback]

Excellent! I can't wait to get home tonight and install it!

Michael Rideout

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

(Removed previous question about only being able to get player0 to show with 99b multisprite)

Got it to work! I was dumbly positioning some of the sprites off the screen, and this seems to cause all the extra sprites to disappear. Keeping all the y values within screen bounds made it work fine. :D

post-6456-1145596720_thumb.png

Edited by jjsonique

• 1 month later...

Can this kernel and the regular one be used in the same bin? I noticed you said somewhere that if people didn't use the MSK for their games, they might still use them to create title screens. Does this mean you can do one part of a game with it, then switch back to the standard kernel?

Also, does each new sprite have it's own missile too? If so do they flicker if they overlap? Has flicker/dissapearing overlapped sprites been improved since this release, and if so will there be a 99c release soon?

If I only need one 16 pixel wide sprite on screen at once, will I ever be able to use the MSK to overlap sprites, 2 for the left half, 2 for the right - to create a 3/4 color sprite? When I try this now sprites dissapear.

Edited by MausBoy

Can this kernel and the regular one be used in the same bin? I noticed you said somewhere that if people didn't use the MSK for their games, they might still use them to create title screens. Does this mean you can do one part of a game with it, then switch back to the standard kernel?

I haven't figured out how to do this, since each kernel uses memory/sprites/other things differently and both kernels use the same symbols, which will conflict with one another.

Also, does each new sprite have it's own missile too? If so do they flicker if they overlap?

There are two missiles total, and they are one pixel high. If you need >2, you'll need to flicker them yourself - just hold two sets of X-Y values and alternate frames.

Has flicker/dissapearing overlapped sprites been improved since this release, and if so will there be a 99c release soon?

No and yes. Most of the work this time involves improvements to the standard kernel, as was requested a long time ago. I was hoping someone would rewrite the flicker engine for me, but alas.

If I only need one 16 pixel wide sprite on screen at once, will I ever be able to use the MSK to overlap sprites, 2 for the left half, 2 for the right - to create a 3/4 color sprite? When I try this now sprites dissapear.

You will sort of, but with lots of flicker. This is a hardware limitation. The 2600 was designed for two sprites, two missiles and a ball. TO get >2 sprites, we reposition one of them as we draw the screen (the screen is drawn from top to bottom.)

Any work on the text mode?

JR

Not for a while, though it will be done eventually. Right now I'm adding a few bells and whistles to the standard kernel, such as options to make the playfield blocks different sizes/colors and players of more than just solid colors - it seems that people want their games to look good as well as play good. Silly programmers. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I downloaded the latest beta, and here's what DASM spits out when I try to compile my program:

Output from the compiler:
DASM V2.20.10, Macro Assembler (C)1988-2004
  bytes of ROM space left
  2089 bytes of ROM space left
--- Unresolved Symbol List
debugscore			   0000 ????		 (R )
vblank_bB_code		   0000 ????		 (R )
overscan_time			0000 ????		 (R )
vblank_time			  0000 ????		 (R )
ROM2k					0000 ????		 (R )
NO_ILLEGAL_OPCODES	   0000 ????		 (R )
temp0					0000 ????		 (R )
div8					 0000 ????		 (R )
debugcycles			  0000 ????		 (R )
mincycles				0000 ????		 (R )
multisprite			  0000 ????		 (R )
bankswitch			   0000 ????		 (R )
--- 12 Unresolved Symbols

Did I miss something? :/

Well, I downloaded the latest beta, and here's what DASM spits out when I try to compile my program:

bytes of ROM space left
div8					 0000 ????		 (R )
--- 12 Unresolved Symbols

Did I miss something? :/

It seems that your code has a divide somewhere, so it's trying to use the div8 routine but it can't find it.

First, try "set optimization speed" at the beginning of the code, which will direct the compiler to try to use inline code for the divide. If that doesn't work, try "include div_mul.asm" at the beginning of the code, which will include the div8 routine.

It seems that your code has a divide somewhere, so it's trying to use the div8 routine but it can't find it.

First, try "set optimization speed" at the beginning of the code, which will direct the compiler to try to use inline code for the divide. If that doesn't work, try "include div_mul.asm" at the beginning of the code, which will include the div8 routine.

Okay, I did the include and div8 doesn't appear now. It still spits out

bytes of ROM space left
  2056 bytes of ROM space left
  2056 bytes of ROM space left
--- 11 Unresolved Symbols

Fatal assembly error: Source is not resolvable.

though.

--- 11 Unresolved Symbols

Fatal assembly error: Source is not resolvable.

Most of the symbols above are fine - part of conditional assembly (I wish there was a way to stop DASM from spitting them out, but alas.)

But there is no temp0 built into bB - that's the problem.

• 1 month later...

How are things going with bB? Any recent news? I might be without an Internet connection pretty soon for about a week, so it sounds like the perfect time to experiment with bB.

Between March and June, I was able to add some kernel options that allow you to use multicolored playfield and sprites, among other things. I haven't released this build since it is not ready for prime time, but I will give it out upon request.

The past month I've done nada, but in a couple of weeks I'll get back into it. Later this summer, I hope for an official release. I plan to add to the existing docs (actually, I will use the docs from your website as a starting point, as I dig the formatting.)

Between March and June, I was able to add some kernel options that allow you to use multicolored playfield and sprites, among other things. I haven't released this build since it is not ready for prime time, but I will give it out upon request.

That's cool, but I won't ask for it since it would be better for my brain to wait until it's ready.

The past month I've done nada, but in a couple of weeks I'll get back into it. Later this summer, I hope for an official release. I plan to add to the existing docs (actually, I will use the docs from your website as a starting point, as I dig the formatting.)

Maybe I should wait until then and forget about experimenting with version 0.99b since one of my desires is to make games with an Imagic look. I love multicolored sprites and backgrounds. :lust: Late summer or fall isn't that far away. I'll try to finish all of the other stuff I need to get done on my web site so I will be ready for the official release. There are so many things I'd like to try with your upcoming version that I'll probably spend months playing with bB and doing nothing else. The only thing more fun than playing games is experimenting with game ideas and creating multicolored playfields and sprites.

Oh yeah, and remember that I can add your text and jump links to the existing docs if you provide me with the new text unless it is easier for you to just add it directly.

If you get pfheights, pfcolors, and no_blank_lines all working together, and with multiple instances of the first two, nobody will be able to believe what can be done with bB. I wouldn't mind one bit if an extra ram kernel is required for that.

I've tested the next release, and it's insane what kind of stuff you can do with it. Activision would have been foaming at the mouth.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Okay so I have installed everything in the right places but I can not get it to work all I get is, can not open multisprite.asm for reading any ideas on how to fix this?

I don't recommend using the bleeding-edge builds - download and install version 1.0 instead at http://bataribasic.com and let us know if you have any problems with it.

Okay I got it to work with just the regular one but for the life of me I can not figure out how to get another sprite to turn on. I have been poking around here and after alot of reading I have found that most of the tutorials are not for bB, so does anyone know of any that are just for bB. All I am really looking for is some code that has notes so that I can see just how all this work together. Right now I am at a loss because this is so different that what I am used to( I use Script all the time) so I am kind of lost. Can any one point me in the right direction.