IGNORED

HSC3 Contest 2 Joust - EXPERT

Goochman

Try to get snapshot here tomorrow.

1004917[/snapback]

:-o :-o :-o

Are you sure you're playing on expert mode? :)

F.

1005055[/snapback]

LOL! Yep, P'terridactals everywhere accompanied by those annoying irratic blue birds.

Glad to say my camera phone (my low res camera of choice since it is very findable) takes good pictures. Just not able to do it on my Mac at home. :) Here is the pic (downloaded at work)....

post-4709-1138025436_thumb.jpg

Gauntlet has been dropped _Fandal_ - 1mill on expert :)

1005548[/snapback]

Oh, man! I didn't say I can shoot 1 mil on expert!! It's the work just for real joust masters like Doctorclu...

F.

1005686[/snapback]

LOL! Oh please, you're making me blush. :)

(Besides I thought your score in the last contest was just as equally insane.)

Tell you what, to make this fun, I will tell one hint a day on how to improve your gameplay on Joust. :)

Tip for Monday... it's all about control. Make small movements. As they say in the first "Mask of Zorro" movie, don't over extend yourself. Take on your enemies as they approach you. You stand in the inner circle. Eventually all opponents will cross into your threshhold. When they reach that point, then attack.

When it comes to controlled movement, the land masses and top of the screen make good brakes. :)

Edited by doctorclu

Tip for Tuesday...

This is a biggie.. the P'terridactal waves are waves to SURVIVE. I'm glad to say that even up into wave 90 the P'terridactal are still only relogated to the P'terry waves and by then the egg waves generally have them since all the eggs by then are hatching almost instantly and there are a lot of birds to take out and that takes a bit. (I'm not sure if you always have the P'terridactal on the levels after wave 100. I seem to remember hearing about that once.)

During these waves, take out the birds as you dodge the P'terridactal. You CAN kill the P'terridactal, but you are better off just dodging that beast until the other birds are gone.

This next bit is the most important:

When you think about it, the screen is split into three levels. The bottom level with the lava off to the sides, the middle level, and the top level. This is less so when all the top levels are not in place, then the screen becomes one level, and a WIDE open space above it.

Never-the-less, if the P'terry is in the top level, drop to the middle level. If in the middle level, go to the top or bottom levels.

More tips later today. Keep those birds flapping...

I think I am going to start posting scores to this hsc again, if that is okay. I have been away for a while, but now that I am on unemployment I can fit some atari in again :)

Here is my first decent score for the Expert difficulty. (I usually play advanced)

1007015[/snapback]

Great to have you back and looks like you are warming up very well in JOUST!

Ok tip for Wednesday (Ok a bit retroactive...)

The blue birds ("Shadow Lords" as I would later be reminded.. )are annoying. But after a while I noticed a few patterns about them. One, when they first materialize, they fly somewhat subdued, and a bit slow like the other birds.

However, once they have a minute or two, their flight patterns are really erratic. Or ... are they?

For one, NEVER TRY TO OUTFLAP A BLUE BIRD. You know how you strive to be on top to land on your opponent? Well, they will one up you most of the time. The blue Birds might actually have a more powerful mount than your own.

Blue birds seemed to be designed to outflap you, and to drop on you as you do on other birds.

However, you'll notice that the blue birds when they get fired up will start flying in a extreme up and down pattern. Peaks and valleys, peaks and valleys. Get a sense of this pattern (very useful when the upper floating land masses are not there and you have nothing but wide open spaces) and work to MEET THEM at the peak of this flight pattern. In other words, figure out where they are going, and MEET them at the top of the peak.

Remember how I said Monday that control is everything? Well in this case, you are using the blue bird's power against it. When it is in that pattern, it will be unable to slow down, or effectively dodge you when you meet him at the top. :)

Of course, there are times that you have about seven of those blue birds all doing this, and things become overwhelming. There is a secret weapon, a way to level the playing field. And that is tomorrow's tip... :D

Edited by doctorclu