IGNORED

investing in prototypes

pkblack

I may have a chance to purchase some games through a friend of a friend but they may be expensive. do these things go up in value over time like baseball cards or coins?? Are some better investments then others??

1004287[/snapback]

I would tend to be leery of game prototypes as investments because it's impossible to verify the provenance on many of them. It would be easier to produce a fake prototype cartridge than to produce a counterfeit production cartridge. Fortunately, so far as I know, there aren't many people making fake prototypes, but if they were to be widely seen as investments that would likely change.

I would say that overall they make a very poor investment. There is alot of risk that they will not only not make any gains but will fall in price from one year to the next. If you have a game no one has you may make some profit if you sell to someone who just HAS to have it. However, many of these one of a kind protos like 'Miss Piggy's Wedding' fall in price after other copies surface or the rom is released.

Ok so they are not good investments. So how much do they sell on average for, are there some titles to look for or that are worth more than others?? I am waiting currently to get a list of what ones I can get. I told my friend that I would take them all if the price is right :)))

I wouldn't consider buying protos as investments. I used to chase after them on eBay and I would always lose the auctions to Matt (Tempest). I remember some 5200 games that I really wanted the protos to. They sold for several hundred dollars and now I could buy them for a lot less. While some protos are still valuable (such as unreleased games with only 1 known copy) most have come down in price over the last few years. The most valuable (in my opinion) are protos of unreleased games. You really have to watch out though. Some people are very good at duplicating protos and if you don't know the original source you could be paying a lot for a very good reproduction.

That's the problem with protos - they can be hard to authenticate, depending on the system, where the proto came from, and even when the proto was used.

In my opinion, protos are more for the gamer who has a passion for games. For example, I spent $100 and change on a Sonic 3 EPROM cart which I believe to be a magazine review copy. Despite the fact that the binary was 100% identical to a retail Sonic 3 (I dumped it and checked it myself), I still feel that it was a good purchase.

Back in the early 90's when there weren't alot of prototypes out there and they could be had fairly cheaply if you knew where to look, they could have been in investment (although no one ever really thought of them that way). Nowdays there are tons of them floating around out there and the price has fallen alot. A proto that would have gone for $150 just 5 years ago goes for about $70 today. Personally I only collect prototypes so I can examine and review them, not for investment. If you're looking to invest in something classic gaming related, try boxed 2600 games. Those can still be found relatively cheaply and seem to be going up in value.

But then again if you're just interested in buying this stuff for an investment, you're in the wrong hobby...

Tempest

yes I already said I agree that they probably arent a good investment. I did see your web site and you seem to have quite a lot of them so maybe you look at them as an investment fo ryour site :))) So you say they are only worth about 70 dollars average then, or maybe more if it is a game or item that noboby else has?? And how can someone tell if something is authentic, are there things to look out and be aware for??

So you say they are only worth about 70 dollars average then, or maybe more if it is a game or item that noboby else has??

1005040[/snapback]

It all depends on the game. Common protos are about $70, but unreleased ones that have been dumped can go for $150 to $200. An undumped proto could go for $400 or more. It all depends on who is interested in it at the time.

And how can someone tell if something is authentic, are there things to look out and be aware for??

It's just a matter of knowing what you're looking at. Without trying to sound elitest or anything, it's just a skill you develop after a long time. There are some tell tale signs like a bad inkjet label, square corners on the label (on an Atari Inc proto), or even the wrong font for the text. However many protos were just thrown in random cases and labeled with a crude stickers as they were never meant to go outside the company. In these cases you really need to know who you're dealing with and if they're trustworthy or not.

Tempest

Following values of prototypes is something a few of us have done since the mid 90s. The rise and fall of prototype prices is a very subjective science. Those who have spent the time doing this don't always share that information willingly with someone who doesn't intend on spending equal time and is just looking to turn a quick profit. More often than not the ones giving the advice (if not then someone we know) are now the victims of the new price hike.

Adam

400 dollars wow!!! That would be to rich for me but it seems everyone here is saying prices have come down alot so what price hike do you mean buyatari??

1005287[/snapback]

I'm going to repeat this for like the fifth time in this thread: IT DEPENDS ON WHAT THE GAMES ARE. There is no magical catch-all price for prototypes, okay?

400 dollars wow!!! That would be to rich for me but it seems everyone here is saying prices have come down alot so what price hike do you mean buyatari??

1005287[/snapback]

I'm going to repeat this for like the fifth time in this thread: IT DEPENDS ON WHAT THE GAMES ARE. There is no magical catch-all price for prototypes, okay?

1005881[/snapback]

Exactly. It would be like saying that all R8 games go for $200 (which we know is not true). It all depends on the title, whether or not it has been seen before, how playable it is, and who is interested in it at the time.

Honestly I think the reason that prototypes have come down in value lately is that most of them end up getting released to the public eventually. There was a time where if you wanted to play an unreleased game you basically had to own the prototype. Now days everyone knows that 99% of prototypes that get discovered will be dumped and released eventually so they're not so eager to be the buyer.

Tempest

There are simply so many factors that it really is a game in itself -- of chance, of popularity, of release status... Many variables.

I personally collect for the investigative opportunities, but if I sell them, I do like trying to recoup the money I may have spent on them. Doing it purely for investment is a bad idea.

1005287[/snapback]

1005881[/snapback]

I am asking buyatari about what he meant by price hike because most other people are saying prices came down, not you. why are some people here so angry??

1005287[/snapback]

1005881[/snapback]

I am asking buyatari about what he meant by price hike because most other people are saying prices came down, not you. why are some people here so angry??

1006179[/snapback]

Because you keep repeating the same question and seem to be selective in reading your replies. ;-)

The only games that gain value over time are unique unreleased prototypes for which only 1 or 2 are known to exist. Otherwise, most are less valuable than released games mainly because there is almost no demand for them. If you'd like help, list what the games are and be specific. Then you can get an actual idea of value. Otherwise, you'll just continue to get the same replies until people grow wary of this thread and stop replying altogether.

... 'Miss Piggy's Wedding' fall in price after other copies surface or the rom is released.

1004572[/snapback]

That has nothing to do with it. They fall in price because there are only a handful of people here who have any interest in owning them. Don't forget the age of these prototypes either. Once that Eprom goes bad all you have is a worthless piece of plastic with a useless chip inside.

Well you want to buy them only to resell. You want our advice so you can get them as cheap as possible and want our advice so you can sell them (back to us I might add) for a profit. Way I see it we should charge for advice like that.

When did I say I was only going to resell them for moeny??? I just dont want to pay too much for something that may not be worth that much now or down the road. I am just trying to be cautious about this is all. Why must everyone jump to conclusions and be angry. I got the list of games that the friend is selling. He has several dozen games!!! Most of them are for the first atari system, the 2600. My friend said that I can take everything for a good price and it is, well from what a few of you have said. These ones were marked on the list as being demo cartridges: astrosmash bird burgertime dig dug grover hockey joust journey krull locomotive sq.bull, that's it. well like I said I will probably buy everything

When did I say I was only going to resell them for moeny???  I just dont want to pay too much for something that may not be worth that much now or down the road.  I am just trying to be cautious about this is all.  Why must everyone jump to conclusions and be angry.  I got the list of games that the friend is selling. He has several dozen games!!!  Most of them are for the first atari system, the 2600. My friend said that I can take everything for a good price and it is, well from what a few of you have said. These ones were marked on the list as being demo cartridges: astrosmash bird burgertime dig dug  grover hockey joust journey krull locomotive sq.bull, that's it. well like I said I will probably buy everything

1008191[/snapback]

Unless he's chargeing an arm and a leg for them, go for it. Locomotive is undumped technically. What's sq. bull?

I am not angry I don't deal in atari protos anymore. You would know if I was I just call it like it is.

Your topic was "prototypes as investments" am I wrong? So you asked for advice on how to pay below going rates on these protos. Why would I think you would ever sell these? Where would I ever get that idea? For an investment to pay off you must then resell at a greater price otherwise its not a very good investment. After you get the prototypes and sell them a majority of them will end up in hands of collectors who are here. The same collectors who told you want to pay and what to sell them for.

I have always disagreed with the free appraisal service given to non-vested members esp those with "investment" goals. So its not that I'm angry its just that when this case was presented I wanted to voice my opinion to the other serious prototype collectors that helping "investors" is digging their own grave.

When did I say I was only going to resell them for moeny??? I just dont want to pay too much for something that may not be worth that much now or down the road. I am just trying to be cautious about this is all. Why must everyone jump to conclusions and be angry. I got the list of games that the friend is selling. He has several dozen games!!! Most of them are for the first atari system, the 2600. My friend said that I can take everything for a good price and it is, well from what a few of you have said. These ones were marked on the list as being demo cartridges: astrosmash bird burgertime dig dug grover hockey joust journey krull locomotive sq.bull, that's it. well like I said I will probably buy everything