• Yes, here on AtariAge.
    • Yes, but it's hosted elsewhere.
    • Yes, in fact, more than one.
    • No, but I used to.
    • No, but I'd like to someday.
    • No, and I have no interest in one.
    • What's a blog?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I've got two. One is a videoblog that only has one post on it - after I made the first entry, my editing computer went kablooey. Fortunately it'll be back up in February. It's at www.homemovienight.com BTW and is all about my interest in preserving home movies.

The other blogs aren't mine, but I do contribute. I'm somewhat active at retrothing.com with some posts about retro gaming, old cameras, and just lots of cool old gadgets. I also write for Video Thing about more video oriented stuff.

Well, I started one this year (it's in my signature), so I wondered how many of you out in AtariAge-land had one, where it's hosted, what it's about, etc.

I started one late last year. It doesn't have a theme, just some thoughts I have that I'd want to get down. I guess it's my way of being immortalized.

Not at the moment but hopefully one day ;)

1010620[/snapback]

I write my life out here and on BBS's, so I said AtariAge was my blog. :)

The Atari Hangout (ran on a linux server under Perl) had one of the first blogs that I knew about in 2000. Others came along and said the server was ahead of it's time. That went down sometime last year I think.

I have one blog I wrote to for a bit, which I've forgotten where it is. :D

My problem is that the longer that I sit in front of a video terminal .. the more time I am wasting my life. The exception is the one weekly work place where I get paid no matter what I do .. so I can sit and check my weekly eBay searches between duties.

If I started a on-line journal .. I would probably type it up on my palmtop while lying in the hammock in the backyard .. then uplink later. But it would probably be partially written .. scanned. I'm thinking of writing down all the wisdumb that I have accumulated over the years for my 11 year old daughter to read someday when I'm senile.

So .. the more interesting question which I have for you all is what is the purpose of your Blog and who do you think will ever have interest in what you write?

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

I'm not really interested in blogs that are essentially "I'm at Starbucks writing this on my cool gadget. Here's a picture of the sugar dispenser on my table." but I do like blogs from people who are somewhere that I am not, doing things I might never do.

http://smt.blogs.com/mari_diary/ <-Tokyo native just talking about random Japanese stuff.

http://antarcticmike.blogspot.com/ <- I'd like this one whether I knew the guy or not.

So .. the more interesting question which I have for you all is what is the purpose of your Blog and who do you think will ever have interest in what you write?

I have a blog here on Atari Age and a duplicate on Digital Press. It's called Chronogamer and I'm playing through every videogame made for a home console that I can get my hands on, chronologically.

Since I don't seem to remember what I write, I find it just the sort of thing I like to enjoy reading a couple of months after I've written it. So, it's interesting, to me, and it is fun, for me, to chronicle this sort of game exploration. Some have said that it's fun to read, for them, and that's a big bonus, cause I DO have an ego and enjoy praise. Since I'm playing through most of these games with my son and, inevitably, my daughter, I think it will be something they'll enjoy reading someday, too. It is this rationalization that makes me think of it as something other than a pointless exercise in solipsism.

The problem with blogs is reading them backwards seems easier than starting from the beginning and reading them forwards (at least on blogspot, which is why I have no blog on there). I know that this allows for people to just catch the latest "news" easily, but I think some blogs are much more appropriately read from the beginning, maybe that's just me.

www.chronogamer.com is supposed to make it easier for me to do that (start at the beginning and read forwards), but I'm not sure how much time I want to spend on it, yet.

• 9 months later...

I've had several and still have about 3 going now. My first was an online diary that I think was started even before the term "blog" was coined. I began that one over 5 years ago but I haven't kept it up. The ones I do have...

LiveJournal--My main one. I don't keep a theme though I did write about western movies a lot last month as I was having a western movie marathon through the month. Normally, I just write about whatever pops into my head.

MySpace--Probably my least important one. I only have a MySpace account so I can read the blogs there of some online friends.

AtariAge--I just started it and have just two entries so far. I think it's appropriate to keep this one just on video games.

Hey, I enjoy that 365 Films A Year blog. It's a lot of fun to read. I found your recent piece about the Donner cut of Superman II especially interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering at times if you'd manage to see 365 films by the end of the year but you made it so...congratulations! I also noted that you stated you may do it again this year but that you might do it a bit differently so I'm wondering about that.

Oh yes, I also like your monthly awards, too.

I have a one on Blogger I guess we all Have one here on AtariAge whether its used or not is the thing and I havent updated forever

I do like VOX I have one there under geekhat.vox.com but havent updated since August.

Dont have time or what not I do like voxs pic sharing etc I finally got some pics of my Video game/retro pc collection taken just got to sort it out and figure out where to post

I don't have a blog and I don't think I ever will. I don't think anyone wants to hear about my current dramas. Whoops wrong hair dye (12/29), the Donald Duck 500 piece puzzle I got for Christmas which I actually have started working on :ponder: (WTF) or today's husband-truck-battery problem...yes I traded cars with him today and my truck had a dead battery. (This was my husband's face - :x:x:x )

So I have a rash on my scalp, I am going to set fire to a harmless puzzle, and it is BJ nite tonite. :lolblue::lolblue::lolblue: |icon_innocent.gif

Then again, SOME of the blog might be of interest.....