IGNORED

C64 -> Atari 2600 port #02

Cybergoth

Which of these C64 classics would you like to see on the 2600?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these C64 classics would you like to see on the 2600?

• Archon II: Adept
    • BC II: Grog's Revenge
    • BC's Quest for Tires
    • Boulder Dash
    • Hover Bovver
    • Jumpman / Jr.
    • Lode Runner
    • M.U.L.E.
    • Manic Miner
    • Super Pipeline

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I think it's just that during 83-84 a lot of games came out for both C64 and A8, like from 85 onwards a lot of titles were made for 64/Spectrum/Amstrad in Europe or C64/MS-DOS in the states.

BTW: I find it pretty weird to talk about "native" Atari coders, when it's actually the same people that did most of the C64 versions as well :twisted:

I think it's just that during 83-84 a lot of games came out for both C64 and A8, like from 85 onwards a lot of titles were made for 64/Spectrum/Amstrad in Europe or C64/MS-DOS in the states.

Except most European games were meant to be multi-platform from the start. A number of games from the US were converted from the A8 to C64 because the market dictated this after the initial Atari release. This is the case with Shamus, Fort Apocalypse and lots of other programs as well...

BTW: I find it pretty weird to talk about "native" Atari coders, when it's actually the same people that did most of the C64 versions as well :twisted:

Huh? Is that how you define "native"?

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Except most European games were meant to be multi-platform from the start.

Don't think so. Europeans ported U.S. C64 titles to the Amstrad and the Spectrum and Americans ported European C64 titles to the Apple II and MS-DOS. You can clearly see that with Epyx titles published in Europe through U.S. Gold and with European titles published through Epyx in the states for example.

A number of games from the US were converted from the A8 to C64 because the market dictated this after the initial Atari release.

This seems to be most natural. Games usually get ported to the most successful platform at a time. A few years later lots of the same games got ported to the NES again. Some even came back to live on the GBA and mobile phones - once there's a market the games will follow.

Huh? Is that how you define "native"?

Uhm... "native" itself is pretty much defined I guess. Where it gets debatable is what a =>native atari coder

• 2 weeks later...