IGNORED

How do I start making Homebrews?

gedwyn

Hi. I have been an avid classic gamer since I was a kid and owned my first Atari in 1977. I actually own pretty much every system made from Fairchild to XBox 360. Anyway enough of that. I am really interested in the homebrew scene. I have always had an affinity for programming games especially for the C64 back in the day. My real interest will be the Atari 5200 since it was one of my favorite systems. I think it would be a blast to do something like this.

My question to everybody here is how do I get started down this road. What do I need? Hardware? Software? and such. I know I am probably asking a lot but I really want to start doing this but do not know where to begin.

By the way I love the site and I love most of the homebrews out there. Adventure II will be great.

Thanks in advance. Paul

:?

My question to everybody here is how do I get started down this road. What do I need? Hardware? Software? and such. I know I am probably asking a lot but I really want to start doing this but do not know where to begin.

1014861[/snapback]

Welcome to the wonderful world of classic console homebrew programming, a world of great promise, but mostly sweat, tears, money spent... and a lot of lessons learned along the way. :D

You first step will be to find documentation about the console system you're interested in. The Atari 5200 is as good a choice as any, unless of course you're masochistic enough to tackle Atari 2600 programming. :P

I don't know what kind of background you have in computer programming, but if you don't know a whole lot about low-level assembly language, it's going to be a bumpy ride any way you look at it.

Once you find the technical documentation (and understand it), the next step will be to seach the internet for existing development tools (compilers, etc.), and at the same time, you'll want to look for people who have already faced the challenges which are ahead of you. You'll find them here, on this forum, but also in dedicated newsgroups and similar places.

Just one piece of advice: Trying to go as far as you can with as little assistance as possible is not the way to go. Make friends first, and show them you're serious by building some technical demos to get to know your target hardware, and never hesitate to ask for advice, because as you will find out, technical documentation has a way of answering every question, except the questions you really need immediate answers for.

Good luck, soldier! :cool:

Hi. I have been an avid classic gamer since I was a kid and owned my first Atari in 1977. I actually own pretty much every system made from Fairchild to XBox 360. Anyway enough of that. I am really interested in the homebrew scene. I have always had an affinity for programming games especially for the C64 back in the day. My real interest will be the Atari 5200 since it was one of my favorite systems. I think it would be a blast to do something like this.

By the way I love the site and I love most of the homebrews out there. Adventure II will be great.

Thanks in advance. Paul

1014861[/snapback]

I will offer any and all I help I can too you. It was not long ago I had to learn the ropes and alot people around here at AA helped me out so I feel now that I can do the same and at least help people get started off I will.

Its ok when we find some people that a real interest in 5200 homebrew,because we have few people that made new games to 5200,if you learn all"ninja training"

about 5200,can make more games because the console have more memory to spend,so good luck,if i find something i can help you...

The 5200 and 8-bit computers are about 98% the same so go here first.

http://www.atariarchives.org/

Allan

Thanks in advance. Paul

1014861[/snapback]