IGNORED

Apple 2e Title screen programs I have made!

ILA2600

I don't know how, but I also completely missed your "James Clavell's Shogun" one as well.

Didn't know there were any Shogun fans besides me on the board!

1017511[/snapback]

You do know they made a game out of Shogun don't you?

http://www.infocom-if.org/games/shogun/shogun.html

Tempest

I don't know how, but I also completely missed your "James Clavell's Shogun" one as well.

1017511[/snapback]

Tempest

1017516[/snapback]

This is news to me. Thanks for the link.

1017511[/snapback]

Tempest

1017516[/snapback]

This is news to me. Thanks for the link.

1017520[/snapback]

It's not a bad game. It's one of Infocom's later graphical text adventures. Unfortunately it's rather difficult if you've never read the book. I beat it once long ago, but never tried it again.

Tempest

*falls out of chair*

Dude. I LOVE the Iron Maiden one.

"Scream for me, Long Beach!!!"

1017508[/snapback]

Thank you, I've been a Maiden fan since Maiden Japan came out, and doing the Iron Maiden Logo on the apple was really cool, I did all the title screen pics above using Apple Basic!!! Up The Irons!!!!!

Edited by ILA2600

Yeah, they look like real games that coulda been maybe.

BTW are you using double-res graphics (16 colors 140x192 mode), cause I don't remember the 2e having all those colors normally?

Nice job though!

1017460[/snapback]

Thank you for the compliment, I used Apple Basic to do the title screen programs, but can't remember what the graphics mode was!!

1017511[/snapback]

Thank you, I like Shogun too, I remember watching it years ago when it first aired on Channel 4 ( In Michigan ), I taped it recently and will probably transfer it to DVD, so I can play them on my PS2, some one eles on the board mentioned a Shogun game for the Apple computer, there was one, a while ago I was bidding on one on Ebay, but got out bidded, from the pic I saw, it had maps and a detailed booklet!!

1017511[/snapback]

Thank you, I like Shogun too, I remember watching it years ago when it first aired on Channel 4 ( In Michigan ), I taped it recently and will probably transfer it to DVD, so I can play them on my PS2, some one eles on the board mentioned a Shogun game for the Apple computer, there was one, a while ago I was bidding on one on Ebay, but got out bidded, from the pic I saw, it had maps and a detailed booklet!!

1017617[/snapback]

There's a nice DVD set out there, if you have the means, which contains each episode on a total of five discs. Actually, the fifth disc is just special features. It costs about $90 at Sam's Club, if you're interested.

BTW are you using double-res graphics (16 colors 140x192 mode), cause I don't remember the 2e having all those colors normally?

1017460[/snapback]

I used Apple Basic to do the title screen programs, but can't remember what the graphics mode was!!

1017609[/snapback]

You can't remember which command you used to enable a graphics mode? There are only three: GR, HGR, and HGR2. I'm betting the farm that you used GR, which gives 16 colors at very low resolution (and like supercat said, even the Apple II had support for that graphics mode).

These are very good for what that graphics mode is capable of, but now you'll have to really impress us by doing them in double hi-res mode.

Wow, it's like Diesel Sweeties in here.

1018149[/snapback]

So says the guy with his own pixelated avatar. :D

Edited by skunkworx

I did do them in GR Mode, thank you for asking, GR mode was the graphics mode I remember using when I was in school many,many years ago, I'm going to check in on the other modes, and see what I can do!!!

1018513[/snapback]

You'll probably find out there isn't much more you can do, at least not in AppleSoft BASIC. HGR and HGR2 both switch to "standard" hi-res graphics, 280x192 (sort of) with a pallete of six colors: purple, blue, green, orange, black and white.*

There isn't any real reason to use HGR over HGR2, except that HGR2 automatically clears the entire screen, while HGR leaves those lower four lines of text the same way GR does.**

The "double" in double hi-res refers to the color pallete, not the resolution; you get the same 16 colors that GR provides, only at the resolution of HGR or HGR2. Unfortunately, there are no AppleSoft commands to draw in double hi-res; you have to know the machine language commands. Alternatively, there are double hi-res graphics applications out there, or if you really want to cheat, I once found a program that would display GIF files in double hi-res mode, doing scaling and color conversion on the fly.

Double hi-res mode requires a 128kB Apple II, so only the IIc, IIGS, and IIe with an extended 80-column card can do double hi-res.

* - Actually, there are eight colors, but two are white and two are black. There are technical reasons why you would want to use one white or black over the other, depending on what the surrounding colors are.

** - To be a bit more technical, HGR and HGR2 actually use different areas of memory. This means the Apple II actually had a rudimentary image buffer which allowed for some easy animation tricks. However, the AppleSoft commands also blank the memory when switching to either screen, so taking advantage of the buffering would require some PEEK and POKE mastery.

Edited by skunkworx

** - To be a bit more technical, HGR and HGR2 actually use different areas of memory.  This means the Apple II actually had a rudimentary image buffer

The Apple II does indeed have an image buffer, but being able to display from different parts of memory is not the defining characteristic of one.

Let's not get started on THAT argument again.

The Apple II does indeed have an image buffer, but being able to display from different parts of memory is not the defining characteristic of one.

Let's not get started on THAT argument again.

1018904[/snapback]

There was an argument?

/not "hip" with the Apple II "scene"

This brings back memories of high school computer class. The most advanced project we were presented with was making a static image on the screen. On an Apple IIe. In 1987. Shameful. We did have one of those Axlon robots as well so happy fun to us (I'd go back and steal it, but I'm sure someone has beaten me to it).

My visual presentation was a beautiful image of the space shuttle. When the space key was pressed, it blew up. Good times.

My visual presentation was a beautiful image of the space shuttle. When the space key was pressed, it blew up. Good times.

1019587[/snapback]

Nova, you're horrible.

You're also lucky I wasn't drinking anything when I read that, otherwise you'd owe me a new keyboard and monitor. :D