IGNORED

New NES system?

youre thinking about the Messiah Generation NEX, and it is a famiclone.  in other words, it is not 100% compatible, though the designers actually care about the NES platform more than any chinese pirate company

1023842[/snapback]

What he said ^

...but if you want to play Akumajo Densetsu FC

[Castlevania III] to hear that extra sound and

SFX or play the JPN version of Conta, forget about it.

You'll still need to have a Famicom AV or Famicom to

play and exprience that. Hell I doubt "Lagrange Point"

would work for it either. However, it is a good clone

indeed, but if they were going to make a system that

supports both NES and Famicom you'd have thought

they'd have made it were it would have been the first

clone to support the above mentioned games intact.

Don't let it stop you from buying one though.

:jango:

youre thinking about the Messiah Generation NEX, and it is a famiclone.  in other words, it is not 100% compatible, though the designers actually care about the NES platform more than any chinese pirate company

1023842[/snapback]

Is that why Messiah uses the same crappy NES-on-a-chip designed and sold by the aformentioned Chinese pirate companies? Why would you claim that they care more about the NES platform, when they are doing the exact same thing as other Famiclone manufacturers? Both use the same core part, both manfacture in China. Oh and don't bring up the fact that the NEX looks cool because there have been many mini-toaster NES looking clones in the past. They occassionally pop up on Ebay.

1023842[/snapback]

Is that why Messiah uses the same crappy NES-on-a-chip designed and sold by the aformentioned Chinese pirate companies? Why would you claim that they care more about the NES platform, when they are doing the exact same thing as other Famiclone manufacturers? Both use the same core part, both manfacture in China. Oh and don't bring up the fact that the NEX looks cool because there have been many mini-toaster NES looking clones in the past. They occassionally pop up on Ebay.

1026569[/snapback]

ive gathered this from an interview with the developers long before the NEX was released. the RF remote controls were on the market for a long time before NEX. they are very cool and work great with a regular NES, plans may still be in the works for RF remote controls for sega and atari consoles.

the reason they used NOAC is cost. developing their own chip wouldve raised the cost considerably, likely making it even more expensive than a top loader on ebay.

Is that why Messiah uses the same

1026569[/snapback]

Umm, has there ever been a Messiah thread on any message board you haven't started posting in? It reminds me of a vulture constantly circling the sky looking for the next piece of carrion.

Actually, it's more like a vulture waiting to defend something that isn't good and whose makers should be despised.

They tricked us into thinking that they had reproduced the NES and that their clone was different from all the other crappy ones. It's not, all it is is $30 more for a NES-like case.

the reason they used NOAC is cost.  developing their own chip wouldve raised the cost considerably, likely making it even more expensive than a top loader on ebay.

1026576[/snapback]

Top loaders canbe had for $50 or less now. They have droped huge, So technically the NEX is more than a toploader.

Top loaders canbe had for $50 or less now. They have droped huge, So technically the NEX is more than a toploader.

1026640[/snapback]

You didn't even read what he said. He said IF they developed their own new chip, it would have cost more than the NES 2 (which doesn't sell for $50).

Why all this talk of developing a new chip? I really don't think it was necessary to invent the wheel. Instead of spending gobs of money to create a new chip from scratch, why not take the existing design and improve it? It does the basics well enough, simply hire a talented electrical engineer and have him make it more accurate. That way you would not have to expend large amounts in R&D.

The Messiah wireless controllers for the NES have a useless D-pad. I was an early adopter of their wireless controllers. Tests show that the NEX has not improved compatibility or accuracy in any way compared to the Yobo aka Neo Fami, which cost half as much as a NEX. Messiah is just like all of the other pirate NES clone making companies, except that their company is founded in the USA, even though all production is done in the same factories as the Asian pirate companies. Furthermore, apparently Messiah's marketing is better than said pirate companies, because there is a hardcore camp of die-hard NEX supports that fail to see any issues with the way the system was marketed or any issues with the technical aspects of the system.

Edited by Jagasian

I know that a couple of the die-hard NEX supporters sell the device and consequently boast of the device's strengths while de-emphasizing its weaknesses.

I figure that it costs $6 maximum to make a Neo-Fami and they are usually sold for $30. A nice 500% markup there. The NEX probably cost somewhere between $8-9 per unit to make, and is sold for $60. With that sort of markup I can understand why people want to sell it (Messiah can afford to be generous with wholesale prices.)

A flashy package, positive marketing and initial word of mouth combined with a "legitimate operation" (US company, not Asian) can do wonders for a second rate product.

Working NES's aren't rare or expensive.  Anyone can refurbish one, and there are a buttload of people on ebay and online stores who refurbish and resell them for less than the NEX.

1026918[/snapback]

Yeah, but still you hear a lot about blinking NES problems and such.

I imagine the vast majority of them do work properly, or could be fixed.

Meh, everyone dumps on the NEX, I use it and I likes it fine. Plays almost all the games and can fit in tight spaces (like between the DVD player and the top of the TV stand). If you've already got a refurbed toaster then hang on to it, but if you can't be bothered to fix up an old NES then an NEX is a decent alternative. Bit pricey compared to a Yobo but looks a lot nicer.

• 7 months later...

If they had redesigned their chip, and even if it had increased the price... if it would have made it more compatible and accurate, it would have been worth the cost in my opinion. Long story short, it would be new hardware.

Not that I am trying to promote clones, but it still could have come a long way in respects to compatibility. Hell, I think even Messiah claimed to have used a custom designed chip at one point.

Still... the novelty factor is there.