IGNORED

Thrust Plus High-Score Contest

Well, With only about 30 minutes left I gave up. I'm guessing I'll end up in the 6-10 range, but as I was #51 (!!!!) to reserver a copy, even if I am in the 6-10s I won't win squat.

But, I gave it a shot, and I've got the cramped left hand to prove it!

Another week & I'd be much, much better. I think I could hit 200k if I had another week. More if I had the rest of the month. Hell, if I was using a more suitable controller I'd have probably broken 200k already.

Oh well. This has definitely brought back to me the competitive feelings I used to get playing the 2600 25 years ago. Even down to the typical 'blaming it on the controller' excuse!

Congrats to the winners. This game is tough!

Is it over? I'm fully expecting someone to be "sneaky" and submit a score higher than mine without posting, or too late for me to try and beat it. All someone has to do is squeek past the point that I got stuck at and get out alive.

So, is the date stamp for these posts in CST?

Are we sure there aren't any quiet entries? Posting your score to the messageboards wasn't required by the rules, so someone may well have shown more restraint than me and kept their highscore off the boards. For example, you can score 6000 more without having to get any further than I did. Apparently.

Albert, when will we see the photos on the contest page?

I'd love to win 1st or 3rd, 'cause shipping from Europe to Australia is not cheap. Probably means I'll get 2nd...

I was wondering about lurkers too. I'm surprised more ppl. didn't post about the contest...I'd settle for top 10.

If I'd had more time, starting on Normal might have honed my game. After loosing 4 guys on one section on level 21, I'm not sure I'd like to try it again. Jeez.

quote:

Originally posted by AtariKari:

I'm surprised more ppl. didn't post about the contest.

When I submitted my first photo with me in it (my first submission was just a photo of the TV, I didn't noticed the rules first) Albert told me I was the only one that had submitted anything at that stage. His email read like he was getting a little worried that it had gotten too complicated for a lot of people. I mean, digital cameras and scanners don't grow on trees. Fortunately for me, it's a hobby of mine -- though I doubt Thomas would have enjoyed trying to read the version number from a Gameboy Camera shot of me and my highscore.

quote:

Originally posted by AtariKari:

To give a critique: after playing this game incessantly for the past week, about the only suggestion I could offer would be to impliment the changes you've already made in Thrust+. It will be so sweet to do this:
s_ThrustPlus_5.png&SuperText=Thrust%20Plus
(Thrusting with shield on).

I can't see the picture, but thrusting with shield on is possible. Fire works as thrust while shield or tractor beam are enabled.

quote:

Plus, I'd need an extra pack of smokes to beat level 24 (so...close).

So it looks like nobody has beaten mission 24 and discovered the "deadly something", right?

You don't know, what you are missing...!

[ 06-10-2002: Message edited by: Thomas Jentzsch ]

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

You don't know, what you are missing...!

Is it a fate worse than a fate worse than death? 'Cause picking up the pod on world 5, normal difficulty, reverse gravity is pretty bad.

Maybe I could beat it with a paddle and foot controller. By the end of it my nice joystick was jamming on up -- my final highscore was done on a Dreamcast controller, and I don't mean an arcade stick.

Damn, I wish I knew whether I'd won or not already. This is worse than the Castle Blast compo. I've only got an hour and a half left of work, then I won't know for at least another 15 hours.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Johnson:

Is it a fate
worse
than a fate worse than death?

Sorry, my English is not good enough to be sure that I understand that.

Do you ask, if it's going harder? It's not getting much easier, that's for sure.

At the point where you are struggeling now, it might be easier but overall it's tougher. So i would say, it depends.

'Cause picking up the pod on world 5, normal difficulty, reverse gravity is pretty bad.

Since everybody seems to complain about this, I think I will try myself and tell you how it works.

BTW: If you don't see any chance at that point, it might be better to give up that pod and destroy the planet-

I'm sooo stupid!

I was improving at the game, and I gave up too soon. I must have been really tired last night, because at about 10:30 or 10:45PM EASTERN time, I added an hour instead of subtracting an hour, and determined that I only had about 15 minutes to submit my score, so I didn't bother trying again. Man, I could have played for another hour!

D'OH!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Jacobs:

I'm sooo stupid!

I was improving at the game, and I gave up too soon. I must have been really tired last night, because at about 10:30 or 10:45PM EASTERN time, I added an hour instead of subtracting an hour, and determined that I only had about 15 minutes to submit my score, so I didn't bother trying again. Man, I could have played for another hour!

I know what you mean, the timezones are often confusing me too.

Why not trying to be the first to discover the deadly something on this board?

(Now that the contest is over, you should play game 1 to get there a bit faster).

Don't post the answers here, send me a mail, I'll verify it and post the results here.

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

Why not trying to be the first to discover the
deadly something
on this board?

I'll give it a go if I find a DC arcade stick. (Or I open up my Epyx stick and work out why it's jamming.)

At the moment I'm playing Soul Calibur and there's some damn tricky levels in there too. It's another good reason to get a DC arcade stick.

[ 06-10-2002: Message edited by: Chris Johnson ]

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Jacobs:

I've seen a couple of mentions of playing the game with the DC stick. Are you using a 2600 emulator to play the game on the Dreamcast?

Yup. DC Stella -- Thrust 1.2 is in the nero image. Audio isn't perfect, but the rest is smooth as.

I've also got MAME for the DC up and running. A few CPU time issues, but most classic stuff runs smooth enough -- best on VGA (PAL goes off the bottom of the screen).

And somewhere around here I've got a MegaDrive emulator for the DC, but it's really slow and the audio is totally screwed. Pointless since I've actually got a real MegaDrive/MegaCD/32X and a decent library.