IGNORED

Crazy Climber & Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Pitfall Harry

Pitfall! - 20th Anniversary Videogame Challenge

Months ago, I designed a videogame contest to commemorate the 20th Anniversary of the classic game, Pitfall! Then I went live with my contest back in January, launching it as an "unannounced" contest. The idea of making it an unnanounced contest particularly appealed to me because I knew that eventually somebody would stumble upon it, without a clue it had even existed. Now, THAT would be exciting! It would be like finding a lost treasure, deep within a forbidding jungle, or a brick of gold hidden in a vast subterranean cavern. Not knowing whether you are the first one there, or whether you may be the first to unravel mysteries unknown could only add to the excitement. It would be a lot like turning back the clock to 1982, like playing Pitfall! the very day it hit the store shelves. For those fortunate souls who discovered the contest, a more fitting way to relive the Pitfall! magic I could scarcely imagine.

There were prizes to be won. Modest prizes, for I am of but modest means. I knew, of course, that the greatest prize the contest had to offer was the contest itself. But, alas. Only ONE person discovered that my unannounced contest exists, and that one person has yet to complete the quest.

Luck was with me this past week. I stumbled upon two rare videogames, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Crazy Climber. I now have the means to up the ante on my unnanounced videogame contest, and I have decided to do just that. So now, in addition to the modest prizes I have offered to the First and Second prize winners, the two games mentioned above will also be awarded. The First prize winner may choose either cartridge to add to his winnings, and the Second Prize winner may have the other cartridge added to his. That should make things a bit more fun.

So... what is this unnanounced contest that I'm babbling about? Well, it's been live since January and nobody has won it yet. Only ONE contestant has discovered that it even exists. He has the jump on everyone, but that may be of little consequence because this contest is HARD! If you want to win this contest you've really got to be good about solving logic puzzles, and you've got to know the games Pitfall! and Pitfall II very, very well or be particularly keen about searching the web or any other available resources to find your way through this challenge.

This contest was born an unannounced contest, and so it shall stay. If you want to know what the rules, the prizes and what your basic mission is, you'll have to "discover" that for yourself. One contestant discovered it without even knowing that there is a contest... so you should have no problem discovering it now that you know that it exists. I will say this much: I am giving away both mentioned rare cartridges and some other cool stuff. All of it will be awarded via random drawing if nobody solves this challenge. That is a distinct possibility, but I'm sure you will have fun even if you don't complete the contest. This is all I will say about this contest because, after all, it still is "unnanounced." Oh, and Good luck.

Are you up to the challenge?

Ben

Yes.

PS: One think to your great website Pitfall Harry. I have look at the Pitfall Harry's Trivia Quiz, and see that it has an error. The 5 questions is: What must you accomplish in order to earn the Pitfall II "Cliff Hangers" Patch? But the right answer is not there.

quote:

Originally posted by MattyXB:

But it has nothing to do with your Pitfall Harry'sTrivia Quiz?

How can we know, that this is the right contest, if we don't know the contest?

I think I have no chance too. But to all you find it, have fun.

A key to "discovering" the contest was posted right here on AtariAge. Not as a message board post. It has been staring all who have seen the page right in the face, for months.

There is another way to "discover" it. But I've already said too much.

Ben

quote:

Originally posted by BlueGround Games:

When answers follow recondite trail

You must heed the Scorpion's Tale.

- A mystic

"The answer lies south of the border

The journey starts somewhere within

This map I have made is in order

To give somebody something to win."

-Pitfall Harry

Yes, I found that too. I think, the second part is only a hint to find the hidden first part.

That leaves the question who or what is the Scorpion? I don't think it has something todo with the MB member Scorpio.

And could "recondite trail" be a hint to the deleted posts of Pifall Harry?

Wow, that must be the question. I think I have found it for month too, and see today, but not know what this can be.

And I have search for more hidden texts, but found nothing.

So I don't know what to do? Must sleep over that, maybe I find something next days.

But I think not, is to hard for me.

quote:

Originally posted by Ridenmy65:

OK!! I have searced this website and pitfalls' site and to the best of my ability I have found squat.

Same here! I can't find anything but you should try using a search engine or something. I still think some of us are on a roll. We just have to wait and see. I don't think Pitfall Harry is going to say anything about this until tommorow. OK!! I am going nuts.

well, that was a bit more fun than an hour of non-relevant conversation (sorry, referring to the "small talk" bit in Star Trek Next Gen episode i saw last night).

you can find the clue/hint listed above if you search the html source for the web page containing the pitfall map on pitfall harry's web page. or you can stumble across it if you drag/highlight the text at the bottom of the page, since he has made the text the same color as the background.

i had to look up the word recondite...meaning it's a hidden mystery...appropriate wording for a treasure hunt. if you do a yahoo search on "scorpion's tale" one of the links is:

http://www.scorpia.com/public/mem72kp.htm

an article about a hint column in CGW, interesting reading. this also has a link to the "secret cow level" in diablo 2...strange. the "answer lies south of the border" sounds like it refers to mexico, or maybe montezuma's revenge map on his site, don't know.

all-in-all, the contest is an intersting idea, but i know almost nothing about pitfall, so i'm afraid i'm at "wits end"

btw, read the tooth protectors article on ben's site:

http://members.tripod.com/~PitfallHarry/To...hProtectors.txt

it sounds almost too good to be true. ben, did this really happen or is it just good fiction?

im not sure if i get this. but i since im thinking back a few months i remember something about reliving pitfall but it wasnt in form of a post. pitfall i think im gonna need to email you again about what you call logic puzzles cause if its what im thinking im on the right track

When answers follow recondite trail

You must heed the Scorpion's Tale.

- A mystic

"The answer lies south of the border

The journey starts somewhere within

This map I have made is in order

To give somebody something to win."

-Pitfall Harry

I found this in Pitfall Harry's website. It might give you a clue.