IGNORED

Crazy Climber & Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Pitfall Harry

While searching on Google I found an no working link to Ben's old pages. There the hints were slightly different:

When fortune follows recondite trail Contemplate the scorpion's tale

and

"Darkness lies south of the border.

Light comes from somewhere within.

This map I have made is in order

To give somebody something to win."

Probably that might help too.

As you say before Thomas, I think too the second part is only the first riddle, to find the second part with the scorpion.

So we must think more about the hidden part:

When answers follow recondite trail

You must heed the Scorpion's Tale.

- A mystic

or this:

When fortune follows recondite trail

Contemplate the scorpion's tale.

In both are these parts: recondite trail & scorpion's tale, so I think the other is not importent.

PS: Here the old site:

Old Website with diffrent text.

This was the first:

"The answer lies south of the border

The journey starts somewhere within

&

The answer of the first part is here (I think):

south of the border = means maybe the border of the map. South from the map is the hidden text.

somewhere within = In the middle of the website.

To give somebody something to win. = Maybe has nothing to do with the riddle. Is only for the one who will play the game Pitfall with all treasures.

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

While searching on Google I found an no working link to Ben's old pages. There the hints were slightly different:

When fortune follows recondite trail Contemplate the scorpion's tale

and

Probably that might help too.

Good detective work, Thomas! Due to an unfortunate misunderstanding about my account status, several of my web pages were deleted by my host provider back in March. My Pitfall Map page was one of them. I was unable to find a backup of the page, so I had to reconstruct it as best I could from memory. That's why the quotes are slightly different. Of course, that does tell you something. How much it tells you and whether it is relavent is up to you to determine.

Good Luck!

Ben

quote:

Originally posted by BlueGround Games:

I already e-mailed Ben about this and no reply yet. I teamed up with Atari70's to find clues and things and we might be done. Well good luck.

If you were done, I would tell you at once.

Please don't think that I am snubbing you if I do not answer your emails. I will not answer any specific questions you may have for me about the contest which you send by email. It wouldn't be fair to everyone else, because any answers I may give would provide you with clues not made publicly available.

This contest is self-contained. That is, it is completely findable and solvable as is. I do not rule out dropping hints from time to time. But if and when I do, it will be via a public post so that all have equal access to the infomation.

Ben

[ 05-12-2002: Message edited by: Pitfall Harry ]

quote:

Originally posted by Pitfall Harry:

Of course, that does tell you something. How much it tells you and whether it is relavent is up to you to determine.

Well, it helps to find the essentials of the sentences. E.g. the upper case Scorpion has no meaning. Matthias already did the rest.

Now I'm wondering, if "scorpion's tale" is a tale told by a scorpion or about a scorpion. I think both is possible in English, right? Or maybe this does link to a famous story where a scorpion stings himself?

And because of the lower case spelling, it can't be this (quite interesting) electronic magazine.

Hm, I don't think my English is good enough, to find all subtile hints.

[ 05-12-2002: Message edited by: Thomas Jentzsch ]

quote:

And because of the lower case spelling, it can't be
(quite interesting) electronic magazine.

I don't think it has something to do with lower or upper case from the S from Scorpion. Only with the Scorpion's Tale.

quote:

Originally posted by atari70s:

a famous scropion tale or something remember sting from WCW had the scropion ( semi famous. hmm im gonna look into strange scropion tale

And I don't think that Sting from WCW has something to do with that.

Funny at all.

[ 05-12-2002: Message edited by: MattyXB ]

...or the "Scorpion King", for that matter. At first I thought the riddle referred to the NUMBER of scorpions shown in the map of Pitfall! But that didn't make much sense, either (neither changing the numbers to letters, nor trying to find a connection of those numbers between the two Pitfall! games...Pitfall 2 is not numbered).

I suck at riddles.

Sounds like everyone is over analyzing this stuff. My personal opnion; if you find it, you find it, if not you're no worse off than you were before. as for Scorpion Tales the one I know of goes like this:

A scorpion came to a river bank where a turtle was basking in the sun. He asked the turtle if he could transport him across the river on his back. The Turtle replied, "No, I cannot trust you scorpion for surely you will sting me when we reach the other side."

"I will drown if I try to swim across myself. Would you carry me across if I promise not to sting you when we reach the other side?" The scorpion asked.

The Turtle pondered the scorpion's proposition and decided to take the scorpion's word. "You give me your word that you will not sting me when we reach the other bank."

"I promise." The scorpion replied.

"Then climb on."

The scorpion crawled up onto the turtle's and the turtle started to swim to the other side. About halfway across the river the scorpion stung the turtle on the back of the neck.

"Oh why? Oh why did you sting me scorpion? Now surely both of us will die. I from your sting and you will drown because you cannot swim. Why did you do this to me?"

"Because thats what scorpions do." The scorpion replied.

I don't know if this is the scorpion tale Pitfall Harry was talking about. But pretty much anything called a scorpion tale is one that has a deceptive twist. Here's another story if anyone's interested.

A question of honour

scorpion theories

Well.. herers one that sounds irrelevent.. but anyone remember in pitfall on the genises the rename new one when your in this level 3 i think you see all these new style scorpions but then yo see an old school one.. forot the extent of the trick but anyway somethin after you see him ittl pop to atari 2600 pitfall

quote:

Originally posted by Snider-man:

As long as you're tossing around scorpion theories, let me point out that you're missing an obvious one. Might it be a reference to a scorpion's TAIL? Tale and tail are pronounced the same.

While searching the web, I found some places where people accidentially misspelled tail as tale, but here it is spelled in both versions TALE.

Doing this intentionally, well, I think that wouldn't be fair. Am I right, Ben?

quote:

While searching the web, I found some places where people accidentially misspelled tail as tale, but here it is spelled in both versions TALE.

Doing this
intentionally
, well, I think that wouldn't be fair. Am I right, Ben?

Fair is fare.

Ben

I look at lots of Pitfall Harry posts now and I noticed he doesnt make alot of spelling mistakes at all. Then his answer Fair is Fare has spells two differnt ways and I think cuz that has to be intentionally. So I think why? It must be a clue.

Fair is Fare

means

_ai_ is _a_e

and also means

Tail is Tale

Thats lojical and he did say their are lojic puzzles. So I think meybe he means Scorpion Tail not Tale. I e-mailed him to ask if that is it and all he says was he couldnt answer. So meybe thats not it. I think it does.

Dave

Funny, first time I have read the text, I have fast read Scorpion's Tail. LoL

But I have search Pitfall Harry's complete site for a Scorpion, or a scorpion's tail. Nothing found.

PS: On the first Tutankham map is a scorpion as enemie, but I think that has nothing to say or I am wrong?

Here the text behind this scorpion 2 pts:

Desert Scorpions...sacred animals of the goddess Selket

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: MattyXB ]

@ Pitfall Harry,

I think your website has an little error at all. Under Featured Items of this Site There are many Links to your other sites. And before them is everytime a goldbrick. Everytime this goldbrick is too the Link to the other sites. But before the Link from Pitfall Harry's High Score Hall of Fame the goldbrick links to Pitfall Harry's Treasure Trove . So just a little error maybe. But I think you better know it, and maybe fix it.

PS: Have I won now? 2 error in 2 days. . Ok only joking.

To the contest. Somebody wonder too about this site here from Pitfall Harry?:

Pitfall Harry's Cartridge List Index

Normally it starts here:

Pitfall Harry's Cartridge List Index START

So you don't see at the first time, that something at the top of the site. But only the text:

Please scroll page down to see list.

Maybe too not so importent, but strange at all I think.

And the other strange site:

Pitfall Harry's Monkey, Link

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: MattyXB ]