IGNORED

2600 Anteater

Shawn

The game exists, but it cannot be released due to copyright reasons. I assume the Blue Sky Rangers have the rom. I only have the two screenshots you see on my page, not the rom itself. Actually if you take a look at the screenshots you can see a glitch in the scoring display (the two 0's are merged together). I've been told this is due to some timing issues that the emulator didn't like.

Odds of this game getting released are pretty slim unless someone finds another prototype.

Tempest

• 2 weeks later...

The game exists, but it cannot be released due to copyright reasons.

Never understood statements like this.

Unless you mean the person who own's the ROM is seeking proper rights to the game so they can release it themselves for a profit. Can't think of any one particular title recently where anyone retired selling an Atari 2600 game. So if the ROM just showed up on a newsgroup one day, there would be hell to pay because of the copyright?

I seriously doubt that anyone would sue the guy for releasing it for what would be the point? It would cost more than its worth to take him to court and even then the judge would probably only order him to stop releasing it and as I said before if the company who owned the copywrite were that concerned over it how come they have never attempted to get it back in the first place? ;)

IIRC the Blue Sky Rangers (the Intellivision guys) own the only known prototype. Since they're actually a business, they're going to abide by the law so don't expect any unlicensed releases from them. Sadly, unless another Anteater proto turns up I doubt this one will get released.

Tempest

• 3 weeks later...