IGNORED

Rainbow Invaders 0.99 Released

Albert

I know it's beta already, but if you're still interested in my thoughts on the game..

it's really fun. I definitely want to end up with a copy of it. I don't like emulation very much and am looking forward to trying this on a real machine. I prefer the gorf-shot canceling fire to regular SI and the sprites look great. The powerups add a lot. At first I thought the player ship's shots were a bit too slow, but I've played both Gorf and the original SI since then and changed my mind.

What i'm not so into: the whole screen changing colors. I think a border around the screen that was black normally but changed color to reflect the play state would be better? That said, it's actually somewhat of a feature that the screen changes because it's hard to see what's going on then. Maybe it could be kept for one of the negative effects?

Also, maybe good powerups could appear a little more often? I find myself mostly just avoiding the special drops as if they were regular shots because they're often negative. Which actually kinda reminds me of arkanoid like terrain mentioned. Silvio, did you have this in mind while working on rainbow invaders?

Hi,

What i'm not so into: the whole screen changing colors. I think a border around the screen that was black normally but changed color to reflect the play state would be better? That said, it's actually somewhat of a feature that the screen changes because it's hard to see what's going on then. Maybe it could be kept for one of the negative effects?
Another chance could be making a different color only in the back side of the player's score, but I'm not sure if I'm going to do that, because the code now is a bit optimized. Next week I'll check if this option is possibile.

Also, maybe good powerups could appear a little more often? I find myself mostly just avoiding the special drops as if they were regular shots because they're often negative. Which actually kinda reminds me of arkanoid like terrain mentioned. Silvio, did you have this in mind while working on rainbow invaders?

Special Shoot type probability is balanced i.e. every type has exactly probability 1/16, because I didn't include additional structures to unbalance it. I know there are more negatives shoots than positives, but I think it's really challenging to trace a Special Shoot to get a good bonus (for example the one that blasts an entire Invader column with a shoot). Nathan Strum suggested me to change a negative bonus in a positive. Next week I'll check if this option can be easily implemented.

Thanks for playing my game, ciao.

Silvio