IGNORED

Forum Software Upgrade

Albert

What about the 'mark all topics as read' option? Everything is marked unread now, so it´s hard to find out, what you already read.

Assuming you are viewing the Forum page (which lists all the topics in a forum), you can click on the orange Options button and then select one of these options:

- Mark forum as read and return

- Mark forum as read and return to board index

If you want to mark the entire forum as read, there is a link on the main index above the "Board Statistics" box.

..Al

Ooops, I´d been so blind this morning :ponder:

Sorry...

What do you have on here that is Active X? For security reasons, I have my PC setup to not allow any active x or plug-ins to run automatically, which means now I have to click 'yes' or 'no' when prompted, which is pretty much every single page. It's very annoying, and it wasn't like that before.

Uhhrr, there should be no ActiveX or Plug-ins on any pages at all. There's some new Javascript on many of the pages (mainly for the pop-up menus), but that's it as far as I know. It's basically the same skin as before, with some changes to accomodate new features that were added. Does the prompt you're seeing give you any additional information about why it's popping up?

..Al

My box says "Do you want to allow software such as Active X or plug-ins to run?"

I get this usually on more complicated websites, such as ESPN where there's alot of that crap on the page, for stuff like highlight reels and stuff. Never had it before here at AA. There must be some code in the forum buttons now. I don't notice anything flashing or moving though...that's usually a clue.

I think it may be the rich text editor that's setting off that ActiveX alert.

Possible, but that would only appear on the message composition page (when entering a post or a private message, the only two places it's used). If it's appearing on every page, it's probably something else. I'll have to look on the Invision support forums to see if anyone else has reported this issue. I have a list of issues with the forum upgrade I'll be working on this week. :)

..Al

This has been an ongoing problem using these boards with Safari. While it's not nearly as pronounced as before, there's still a lot of empty space showing up at the bottom of certain pages.

I'll do some testing with Safari and see if I can clean up some of these issues. Although I did use Safari quite a bit with the last version fo the software and didn't really notice anything too out of the ordinary. The only reason I stopped using it is because it would eventually cause my computer to start thrashing if I left it running for several days.

I'm getting some errors when I try to open up some older threads. Here is a screenshot when I try to open this thread.

This will be the next problem I investigate. The SQL query is malformed, in that an apostrophe is not being properly escaped. This looks like a bug with the software, and I may have to submit a trouble ticket to get Invision to resolve it (but I'll also hunt around in their forums to see if anyone else has seen it).

When you're not logged in, the username and password fields appear where the search form is when you're logged in, but the button still says "Search" instead of "Log In." It worked properly, but it was confusing because of the label on the button.

Yeah, the default button is "Go", and I didn't like that for the "Search" field when you're logged in, and forgot that it was also used when you are logged out. So I need to fix this..

The "Fast Reply" button isn't working properly now that the Fast Reply form is visible by default. The button is still toggling the visibility. The effect is that clicking the button just causes the form (which, typically, is off the bottom edge of the browser window anyway) to disappear. I think now that it's open by default, the "Fast Reply" button should just be an internal anchor link to jump down to the form.

You're right, it wasn't as bad when the Fast Reply button made the Fast Reply form appear, but now it's kind of odd given that it's already visible and clicking it simply makes it go away. I'll do something to modify this behavior. :)

Thanks for all the feedback thus far everyone! Hopefully I can get all these issues (and others) addressed in the next few days.

..Al

Looking good! You've fixed one odd bug that I used to deal with using Netscape 7.2. Sometimes, i'd push the 'Add Reply' button, Netscape would throw up a "The information is being sent unencrypted, blah blah blah" dialog box. I like it that way, it gives me one last chance before sending off a reply to fix anything. Sometimes, when I push the 'Cancel' button, the 'Add Reply' button won't be clickable anymore. I have to use the 'Preview Post' button, then I can push the 'Add Reply' button. I just checked it, and that's not happening anymore. Thanks!

This has been an ongoing problem using these boards with Safari. While it's not nearly as pronounced as before, there's still a lot of empty space showing up at the bottom of certain pages.

What version of Safari are you running? I just looked at a slew of pages using 2.0.3 (which is the latest) and didn't see anything that jumped out at me. And certainly not lots of empty space anywhere. If I display the same page in both Safari and Firefox at the same width, I get nearly identical results. If you can give me some specific examples (with links) and screenshots, that would help.

Thanks,

..Al

Hi Albert,

There is one thing that I miss, not now with this upgrade, but since the change from phpBB. Once you enter a thread, you cannot distinguish anymore which posts you already read and which not. I was hoping this was a temporary glitch that an upgrade would fix. Or I miss something and the posted do are marked differently?

Not complaining, everything is so great here. Just a comment and a question.

Hi Albert,

There is one thing that I miss, not now with this upgrade, but since the change from phpBB. Once you enter a thread, you cannot distinguish anymore which posts you already read and which not. I was hoping this was a temporary glitch that an upgrade would fix. Or I miss something and the posted do are marked differently?

Not complaining, everything is so great here. Just a comment and a question.

I don't remember phpBB distinguishing new posts while viewing a thread? On the main forum view, if you click on a topic title, it will take you to the first post you haven't yet read. While viewing the forum view (that shows all the topics in a forum) if you click on the arrow to the left of a topic title, it will open up the thread and jump to the first unread post. Is this what you're looking for?

..Al

I don't remember phpBB distinguishing new posts while viewing a thread?

It does in other phpBB forums, and as I recall it did here as well. In phpBB, the post header, where the post date is specified, is marked with a different color. The equivalent here would be to make that small triangle/arrow near the post date, to have different colors.

Yeah, I am aware that you can open the thread in the right place. But that’s not quite the same thing. Again, not a real complain, just a comment.

It does in other phpBB forums, and as I recall it did here as well. In phpBB, the post header, where the post date is specified, is marked with a different color.

Yup. There is either a white (read) or colored (unread) little "new" icon at the very left of the header.

I don't remember phpBB distinguishing new posts while viewing a thread?

It does in other phpBB forums, and as I recall it did here as well. In phpBB, the post header, where the post date is specified, is marked with a different color. The equivalent here would be to make that small triangle/arrow near the post date, to have different colors.

Yeah, I am aware that you can open the thread in the right place. But that’s not quite the same thing. Again, not a real complain, just a comment.

You're right, of course, and I just did a test on the old forum to jog my memory (yes, I still have the old software running, although I need to delete it as it's taking a good chunk of disk and database space). I've attached a screenshot and you can see the white and brown/orange page icons representing read and unread messages.

..Al

old_forum_new.png

I noticed the members currently on line now displays by last movement instead of being alphabetical. I kind of like this feature, but it was weird at first seeing my name in a different place. This also the first time I have ever used a fast reply. Very convenient, Al. :)

I just changed this so the list of users is now shown alphabetically, as it was with the last revision of the software. While in there, I also changed it so that people with oddball characters before their name will still sort in the proper alphabetical order instead of being grouped together at the front of the list.

If you want to see a list of users sorted by their "Last Click", you can click the "Last Click" link below the list of users.

..Al