IGNORED

Sound Effects

cd-w

I would like to generate some cool sound effects for my latest game project (Juno First). In the past, I have just tried various combinations of Frequency/Control values until I got something that sounded reasonable, but this is a very tedious way of working. I was wondering if there was a better way, and if there were any tools to help with this? The only thing I could find is an old homebrew cart called SoundX, but the ROM doesn't seem to be available anywhere online. What do other people here use to generate their sound effects?

Chris

I have a ROM (not sure where from) called Mark's Sound Demo. I asked about it on here some time ago, but nobody seemed to know where it came from, or exactly how it works.

But playing around with it, it produces some really excellent sounds. I think someone speculated it may have been an Imagic dev tool, but I don't recall who said that.

Anyway, you turn on the voice(s) by changing the fifth character over (the small one) to an "S", and holding the fire button and moving the joystick left or right (an "On" will appear on the fifth row down). Select an item by moving the joystick around. Hold the fire button while pressing up or down to change a value.

I'd love to see some documentation on this, and what all of the various values mean (and how they apply to programming the results into the 2600).

Thanks for the replies - both of those tools look like they will be very useful. I also found a copy of SoundX (including source) on my "Stella Gets a New Brain" CD. It has less options than the other tools, but will be very useful for figuring out what the basic effects sound like. I don't want to post the bin here, but if anyone wants a copy they can send me a PM.

Chris

I went Googling for that, but I didn't see SC mentioned anywhere. What does 'SC' stand for, Salty Crackers?

SC = SuperCharger (extra RAM for the Atari). Search in the Stella Mailing List archive and you should find it easily.

Chris

I went Googling for that, but I didn't see SC mentioned anywhere. What does 'SC' stand for, Salty Crackers?

SC = SuperCharger (extra RAM for the Atari). Search in the Stella Mailing List archive and you should find it easily.

Thanks. I'll see if I can find the archive.