IGNORED

Medieval Mayhem - 2600

SpiceWare

:? wasn't aware of any issues with Castle Crisis.

Originally Infotari got their panties in a wad because it played like Warlords, or something along those lines. It was back when they cracked down on their copyrights... check Cybergoth's avatar :) I think that was the issue, anyway. Could be talking out my ass on that one.

No your right on the money. Let's hope they don't shit on this one as Spice has really hit it right on with this one and I just pray those bastards don't ruin the fun. :x

We're considering making the dragon smaller as he's rather overwhelming. That may help.

If possible, I'd look into using player graphics for the kings.

Here's what I'm thinking: NUSIZ for double copies, sharing a player between a shield and a king unless a shield is beyond a certain point, then reposition the player for the shield. Since horiz. movement is limited, you don't need to have a full repositioning routine.

Or, share a player between the two kings and the two shields. May be easier, as there is no need to stuff GRPx. If the shields are moved below a certain point, you can reuse a player for one of the shields.

Either way will be really tricky, but will make the game look better than it is now, with the blocky playfield graphics for kings.

Preliminary fireball capture routines are now in place.

Please note these limitations, which will be addressed in a future update:

• Released fireball only travels in 1 of 3 directions
  • Player 1's paddle always captures for the top-left shield, even if you selected a 1 player game in a different corner
  • paddles will capture even if the shield is "computer controlled"

Capture does work correctly for Doubles.

mm20060427NTSC.bin

mm20060427PAL.bin

I'm taking my Atari and Krok Cart to a friend's tomorrow so we can do some playtesting. In preparation I've done a couple things:

1) I've added the directional release of the fireball - if you're at the edge of the screen the fireball will travel straight up/down or straight left/right. If you're not at the edge the fireball will travel at an angle based on how far you are from the edge, as shown in this image from my Warlords research

post-3056-1146282890_thumb.png

2) fixed a bug that would cause the fireball to travel thru your shield when the fireball was at it's maximum speed. It seemed to mostly happen with the lower shields.

mm20060428NTSC.bin

mm20060428PAL.bin

Edited by SpiceWare

Is the AI just waiting to be implemented or is that a whole different hurdle to tackle?

It's coming - even had a discussion about it in this blog entry - I was getting tight on space. You might have noticed the BIN went from 16K to 32K.

I don't really know many of my friends that will play ATARI as they are new age whores :(

I was at my brother's for Xmas and my nephews' friends where the same way until I got them hooked on Warlords. It's a big part of why Medieval Mayhem came to be.

Is the AI just waiting to be implemented or is that a whole different hurdle to tackle?

It's coming - even had a discussion about it in this blog entry - I was getting tight on space. You might have noticed the BIN went from 16K to 32K.

32k is still cool. If you need the space.. use it!! I'm possitive you can keep it to 32k and won't need to go any larger once you get all the code optimized.

Also a small constructive critisism, I think the dragons belly would be better suited Red and not yellow. I'll post my take on it in a bit. It looks really cool on the wing(s?) and the tail but the belly being yellow is distractiing from the greatness that this game is :grin: Keep up the hard work, its shows with each new WIP!!

• 2 weeks later...

My iMac's power supply failed last week. It's in the shop and I won't get it back until next week.

Thankfully I had enough warning before the computer failed and I was able to get my current source off the computer.

I've set up Stella, DASM and jEdit under Linux on my Thinkpad so I've been able to resume work on Medieval Mayhem. I've done some updates on the fireball capture routines

• Multiple players can simultaniously capture a fireball
  • If you die while holding a fireball it's now released back into play
  • Fireball Capture for 1 player games now works in all 4 corners
  • Paddle firebuttons no longer capture for computer players

mm20060509PAL.bin

mm20060509NTSC.bin

Hello everybody! I'm new to this trend. glad I caught it before the pages become to many to read up on.

I'm glad to see this project well underway. I like warlords alot and your version mr Spiceware looks like a sure hit in the making.

Agreed, the dragon looks absolutely great. :thumbsup:

But IMO it somehow doesn't fit to the other graphics, because it is too detailed and makes the remaining graphics look very blocky now.

Just my 0.02 EUR. :)

We're considering making the dragon smaller as he's rather overwhelming. That may help.

BTW, if the dragon is going thru any changes graphicly so long as it's not being reduced to match the blocky walls is fine., I was mess'n with a graphic hack program and did my own little sample on the dragon. I saw the preliminary rough and the details don't detrack from the game at all IMO.

yea, wow, that dragon is awesome. dont change 'em.

The dragon I sent to Darrell is pretty rough. It'll go through some refinements before all is said and done, but the yellow belly is likely to stay. I'm trying to stay (somewhat) faithful to the original.

hi mr Nathan. here's something maybe you want to compare with as well as the rest of us waiting for this game to finalize. hope you like it.

this demo version is the same as the latest found in this trend BUT with the dragon image all 'cleaned up' . Download, play, and check out this right here: medieval_mayhem_dragon_sample.bin This game is gonna RULE!

here's something maybe you want to compare with as well as the rest of us waiting for this game to finalize. hope you like it.

this demo version is the same as the latest found in this trend BUT with the dragon image all 'cleaned up' .

Nice! Mind if I use that as a starting point for the animation? (With Darrell's approval, of course.)

Edited by Nathan Strum