IGNORED

Bubsy - Your opinions

superjudge3

Could someone compare this game to Zool 2 and Rayman please? I've always been curious about it but I've never played the series. I just bought a copy off of Ebay for $7 w/box & instructions.

What should I expect?

I guess I should have asked this before I bought it. :D :D :D

Edited by superjudge3

Bubsy is not that bad.

Since each scenery has 3 levels, it can get boring imo.

When I play this game, I use the passwords, so I can play through some levels with different scenery and music.

So try this game out, and let us know what your impressions are :)

Where's doctorclu when we need him? He absolutely loves Bubsy on the Jag.

Myself, I didn't get too far with it. I thought it was just an okay game.... nothing good or bad about it, just an average platformer. I got a lot more enjoyment out of Zool 2 and Rayman. I think I liked Zool 2 a little more than Rayman, to be honest.

Well, Bubsy was one of the first Jag games I ever tried. Its hugely stripped down visually and graphically from the 16 bit versions, with poor animation and little and low quality samples. But at seven dollars its worth it!! Level one is ok, and I thought I'd rate it at 76 percent when I reached the boss, but its all downhill from there. Later on in the game the backkdrops are almost ST quality, one of the bosses in the castle level consists of a pair of legs!!!

But for the price you cant go wrong. Your kids might enjoy it, till you get them a MegaDrive

Graphically I always thought that Busby was a good looking game. Its main fault is that it is a little too easy to get killed and when jumping it is all too easy to fall off the many small ledges or rocks that you encounter. The second problem was that it was again easy to wander around aimlessly trying to find the exit but that aside I have played far worse for the Jag in my time ;)

I have always kinda liked Bubsy, myself. I DO have a bit of a soft spot for it as it was the first game I got for the Jaguar (besides the Cybermorph pack-in). It is pretty freaking hard, though. It always seemed like some of the levels got a little too long and it WAS too easy to die - while I wouldn't say it was a die-every-5-seconds game, the ratio of death to progress was a little high and made for a frustrating game. :) Admittedly, the only way I would sit down and play this game for an extended period of time (a good 8 years after I got it) would be if I were locked in a closet with it and had very little left to do...

Yea, die-every-5-seconds was of course a bit of an exaggeration. But you die A LOT in the game. I think the most frustrating part is that every time you die you get sent back to your last "check point" -- which can be a LONG way back. Of course, lots of games work like this, but in Bubsy since you die so often you end up repeating things over, and over, and over, and over etc. again.....

Edited by else

"SteveW Posted Sat Apr 1, 2006 4:42 PM

Where's doctorclu when we need him? He absolutely loves Bubsy on the Jag. "

Make way, Bubsy fan coming through... ;)

Ok, you CAN die every five seconds, which is a strange goal. But try this:

Jump.. glide. (Two button combination).

Always GLIDE onto your opponent and just float on top of them. A lot of it just comes in time. Many don't learn the ways of the Bubster, but once you do, you find he has many moves and tricks. You also learn in time that if you can hit more than one opponent while still airborne you get 100 additional points for each one you hit after the first one.

The levels are LOONNG. Bubsy has always been plagued with long levels. Especially Bubsy 3D (Geezz!!) which I absolutely adored the sensation of flying in that game (got my Playstation just for Bubsy 3D, and the same can be said for the Super NES and the other Bubsy titles), but while the flying was cool, I had to practically find a fluke in the game to finish a level, and then the game save didn't work. Haven't played it since, though the game was fun. And throwing the atoms that you collect at opponents was fun too. I actually think the Jaguar would be great with Bubsy 3D.

Bubsy had an interesting progression in all his titles:

-One hit kills Bubsy, no gadgets - Bubsy, Bubsy Fractured Fairy Tails

-Multiple Hits to kill Bubsy, & gadgets - Bubsy II, Bubsy 3D

Many regard the original Bubsy as the best, and I agree. The Jaguar Bubsy is a close second. Even without the gadgets and quick ways to die, both are just fun. Things I liked about the Jag Bubsy:

1- The way Bubsy zips along when he gets to run. Running and gliding are fun.

2- Multiple glide kills. Always fun to line that up, and since the opponents are always in the same place everytime, it is only a matter of memory.

3- Enemies, once dead, stay dead.

4- Most of the boss characters after the first one at level three are really fairly easy.

5- Bubsy's remarks.

6- Bubsy wrapping on the screen when he gets bored. (the tapping on the screen sound effect is better on the Jag than the Super NES I think.)

7- The diversity of the scenarios: Running on tables at a tea party, to jumping from leaves and vines, to desert, underwater, and finally a candy land. All Bubsy games were about that diverse actually, just glad the Jag Bubsy was as well.

8- A password per level. An improvement over the first Bubsy game.

9- The brilliant colors.

10- The nice big Atari fuji at the beginning of the game when you power on the game. :) Nice nice touch.

Oh remember, the circular purple arrow is the one thing that Bubsy has that is the closest to a gadget. That is the continue. You get nine more lives, and you get to keep adding to your score. So far I have found them on the third and six level. I suppose with that logic there would be a continue on each boss level. Not sure.

Enjoy Bubsy. As a spokes feline for the Jaguar he has more wit than Trevor McFur, and more speed and agility than that nameless Jaguar seen occationally in the commercials. And what is really great about Jag Bubsy (Fracture Fairy Tails) that while you can pick up the other Bubsy titles on multiple systems for each title, Jag Bubsy is only available on the Atari Jaguar. :)

Later!

(And now some cool pics of the Bubster from around the internet (some hard to find)

post-4709-1144345451_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1144345747_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1144345765_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1144345873_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1144350807_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1144350870_thumb.jpg

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 1

Thanks Dr.Clu, that was what I was looking for!

Was playing the Ali Baba levels last night and found a continue (circular purple arrow) on the 7th level. So much for the idea that the continues were on the boss levels. :)

Since this thread has accomplished what it set out to do, I'll just post some more Bubsy tribute stuff on it.

Here is a ballad about the once never great Bubsy Bobcat...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=259478

(Link not taking me to this artist as of August 4, 2008. Website resrtuctured. The song was a filk to a tune from the musical Annie sung by a person with a rather mousy voice. Not the best parody, but a parody none the less...)

Edited by doctorclu

Since this thread has accomplished what it set out to do, I'll just post some more Bubsy tribute stuff on it.

Here is a ballad about the once never great Bubsy Bobcat...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=259478

"Performed, Written and Produced .... for 4Play Productions"

Is this the same 4Play that made Battlesphere???

• 2 months later...
Hmmm....

Ok, I have a lot of Bubsy Bobcat featured on YouTube now. You can find the opening title screen, and level one played on the Jaguar along with a bunch of other Atari stuff at... (and there is much much more to come)

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=doctorclu

And this one is amazing. Through a few tricks, this guy was able to get through the entire game of Bubsy in 17 minutes. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bltep_d0SE

(Link not working as of August 4, 2008)

Edited by doctorclu