IGNORED

Bubsy - Your opinions

superjudge3

5 minutes ago, doctorclu said:

Yes, thank you for your opinion.  And for your condolences for my friend.

Yeah its hitting me a little bit today. Download ed messanger which I don't usually have and seen a message from him a couple months ago. I guess I'd send him a text on my phone and he'd try to answer on messanger. That explains why he didn't respond much but its like seeing a ghost.

Did you hang out after he moved to Texas or did he visit there before that a bit? At any rate I'm glad you got to meet him. 

Hopefully you can make it to the PRGE next year.

2 hours ago, JagChris said:

Yeah its hitting me a little bit today. Download ed messanger which I don't usually have and seen a message from him a couple months ago. I guess I'd send him a text on my phone and he'd try to answer on messanger. That explains why he didn't respond much but its like seeing a ghost.

Did you hang out after he moved to Texas or did he visit there before that a bit? At any rate I'm glad you got to meet him. 

Hopefully you can make it to the PRGE next year.

He showed up at the Amiga and Atari meetings.  I found one video he was in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsj3bi8E2sA

Has a lot of Sal on that one.   He was showing off his ProTracker setup.   He was a lot of fun to hang with and the few times we got to sit and talk was a blast.

What hits me hard on this one was when I was thinking about unique mod music for the Bubsy fan hack I reached out to him and wished him happy holidays.   Naturally I did not hear back from him and I was hoping he was alright.  And then I learned the news this morning.  :(

I think Sal would have gotten a kick out of the change in mod music on this game.

So how long was he in your area?

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I hacked in some alternate mods into the Bubsy rom just to try it out.   I think the results were fun.

While the music isn't clear for rom release I made a video that demos the game and another playlist of music from talented ProTracker artists :

I think for my next trick... Bubsy.. with Zool music.  
Bringing this thread kinda full circle (considering the original author's avatar)  :)   Should be able to release that rom.

Of course if the authors of the music in the youtube video I did give their ok, or we get other music fans want to contribute, we can make that rom version too.

[Forgive my clumsier than usual gameplay, getting over covid over here...]

On 1/16/2023 at 3:55 AM, Buffalo Biff Burgertime said:

you really get a lot of mileage out of that bobcat

I've learned things and lost some of those things I've learned.

So years ago someone was kind enough to show me how some games on the Atari Jaguar were compressed using RNC ProPack.

Using the M68000 settings you could use it to unpack all the files in a Jaguar rom.   I did it to Bubsy (unpacked like 116 files) and to Raiden.  Was a smooth trick.   And while I've used ProPack to compress files to hex edit into the Bubsy rom successfully in the last few weeks...

... I can't get ProPack to unpack a Jaguar rom like I did years ago.  😕   Kinda wanted to explore Zool a bit.

Thought the command was "pp u m bubsy.jag" for ProPack Unpack M68000 and the file name.   But ProPack is not seeing it as a compressed file. 

Hopefully I can figure this out again.   Was actually fun.   I mean I have the files uncompressed for Bubsy, but did want to see if I could train Zool just a bit too.  :D

1 hour ago, doctorclu said:

I've learned things and lost some of those things I've learned.

So years ago someone was kind enough to show me how some games on the Atari Jaguar were compressed using RNC ProPack.

Using the M68000 settings you could use it to unpack all the files in a Jaguar rom.   I did it to Bubsy (unpacked like 116 files) and to Raiden.  Was a smooth trick.   And while I've used ProPack to compress files to hex edit into the Bubsy rom successfully in the last few weeks...

... I can't get ProPack to unpack a Jaguar rom like I did years ago.  😕   Kinda wanted to explore Zool a bit.

Thought the command was "pp u m bubsy.jag" for ProPack Unpack M68000 and the file name.   But ProPack is not seeing it as a compressed file. 

Hopefully I can figure this out again.   Was actually fun.   I mean I have the files uncompressed for Bubsy, but did want to see if I could train Zool just a bit too.  :D

bubsy.jag is not a Propack file . It has a rom which contains PP files.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Seedy1812 said:

bubsy.jag is not a Propack file . It has a rom which contains PP files.

So it is.  :D   That actually is a great bit of information in helping me understand how a rom is laid out.

It's been a while, but now I am remembering I used a program called "Multi Ripper" or mrip260.zip.   And then once it sorted out the RNC files, used ProPack to unpack them.   Ok, back up to speed.

• 3 months later...

Have to admit, now that Atari has bought the rights for Bubsy, I'm hoping they can provide a patch upload to add Bubsy: Fractured Furry Tales to the Atari 50th Anniversary (for me on PS4).

Sure I've played it at least 400 times, but playing with a wireless controller!   Would rock!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, doctorclu said:

Have to admit, now that Atari has bought the rights for Bubsy, I'm hoping they can provide a patch upload to add Bubsy: Fractured Furry Tales to the Atari 50th Anniversary (for me on PS4).

Sure I've played it at least 400 times, but playing with a wireless controller!   Would rock!

It seems counter to their monetary interests to include any additional content for free. If anything, I think we'd see a new game bundle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

It seems counter to their monetary interests to include any additional content for free. If anything, I think we'd see a new game bundle.

New game bundle would also be welcome.

• Like 1

Yeah, looking forward to a new bundle with JagCD games as well, with Rich getting paid for his part in that of course. Only problem is I'm gonna have to upgrade my VCS storage to install it. Atari 50 plus a smattering of other things has it just about maxed out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 1/2/2024 at 12:18 AM, Biff Burgertime said:

Since Atari owns Bubsy now, they need to get you on the payroll as official Bubsy ambassador.

Hah.. could be fun.  I'll even say this for free:

If I could advise Atari on at least three things it would be 1) hire the twitter personality that Tommo had to play Bubsy to interact with fans in 2017-2019.

2) Hire the voice actor for Bubsy that was in the Bubsy games from also 2017-2019.  3) Though the recent games made some nice changes and additions don't do a reskin like in 2017-2019 but make an original game.

There we go.  :D

• Like 1

16 hours ago, doctorclu said:

Hah.. could be fun.  I'll even say this for free:

If I could advise Atari on at least three things it would be 1) hire the twitter personality that Tommo had to play Bubsy to interact with fans in 2017-2019.

2) Hire the voice actor for Bubsy that was in the Bubsy games from also 2017-2019.  3) Though the recent games made some nice changes and additions don't do a reskin like in 2017-2019 but make an original game.

There we go.  :D

Do you think Bubsy will ever find himself a lady friend? (he's never had one before, right?)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Biff Burgertime said:

Do you think Bubsy will ever find himself a lady friend? (he's never had one before, right?)

Sort of like the furries that so love Bubsy right?🤪

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Biff Burgertime said:

18 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

What could possibly go wrong?

17 hours ago, Stephen said:

Sort of like the furries that so love Bubsy right?🤪

So Fun Bubsy facts.  First there was a Bubsy cartoon pilot.  It is 24 minutes of your typical 90s cartoon meyhem.  :P

In that they introduced some other characters such as an inventor, his niece and nephew,

and the mostly competent slightly dingy Russian Blue Cat Oblivia..

ScreenShot2024-01-05at10_06_28AM.thumb.png.b37ff2967310dce527802d0ecd9412cb.pngScreenShot2024-01-05at10_03_30AM.thumb.png.9c7306977980823703e389ded5c2d447.png

She is totally into Bubsy but Bubsy is too in love with himself to notice. 

• Like 1

Can I jump in and say I'm honestly happy to know that this thread is still going?  I added my thoughts here in 2006 and almost 20 years have passed since then!

As an update, I did eventually beat Bubsy for the Jaguar a few years back, and can confirm that it's a fun game once you get used to the controls and gameplay. I might not be as much of a fan as @doctorclu but it's a solid platformer. :)

I also 100% agree with Doctorclu's suggested level order - if the developers had put the levels in that order, it would have improved people's initial perceptions of the game immensely. Makes me wonder if some meddling game company executive said, "Well, put Alice in Wonderland first because people are most familiar with that story" after the levels were already created. Because the difficulty progression of the released game doesn't make any sense to me.

Edited by graywest
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2024 at 10:23 AM, doctorclu said:

So Fun Bubsy facts.  First there was a Bubsy cartoon pilot.  It is 24 minutes of your typical 90s cartoon meyhem.  :P

In that they introduced some other characters such as an inventor, his niece and nephew,

and the mostly competent slightly dingy Russian Blue Cat Oblivia..

ScreenShot2024-01-05at10_06_28AM.thumb.png.b37ff2967310dce527802d0ecd9412cb.pngScreenShot2024-01-05at10_03_30AM.thumb.png.9c7306977980823703e389ded5c2d447.png

She is totally into Bubsy but Bubsy is too in love with himself to notice. 

There's an actual Bubsy fan! It must be my lucky day. I think I'm going to play the lotto. 

• Haha 2

Never read through this thread before.  It's pretty entertaining though, four BANNED members in the first four pages.  Is that a record?  Well, this is the Jaguar forums after all.

• Haha 3