IGNORED

Bubsy - Your opinions

superjudge3

doctorclu, you're beginning to frighten me. :D

I actually think the Jaguar would be great with Bubsy 3D.

After finding a screenshot of Bubsy 3D, I can totally see it on the Jaguar. Probably wouldn't have turned out any worse than the Playstation version, and if nothing else would have given the Jag its first and only 3D platformer.

bubsy3dscreen002gl1.jpg

I think it would and can still do fine.

All and all, MY only problem with Bubsy 3D was, yes, like any other Bubsy game sometimes the levels get long at times, but my biggest problem was the Playstation I had itseld and how it had trouble loading Bubsy. But you have a $10 Playstation playing a $5 copy of Bubsy 3D, so, probably got what I paid for. :D

But the Jaguar would be able to handle Bubsy 3D great I think. Make it a CD game of course.

Really wish I could find who has the rights to Bubsy currently. He's been passed around a lot from company to company.

Edited by doctorclu

i always enjoyed the bubsy games and felt the jag version was one of the better of the 2d versions. i really enjoyed the speed. not great for me, but good.

Agreed. I would not say best, to matter the fact on the Jag Zool 2 gets it for speed and Rayman for graphics and play.

But Bubsy is a good game. Not the best game, but good, and as I'm trying to show, playable and fun. And speaking of which...

Levels 7-9. (Don't miss the description of the video off to the side.)

Now to just get the water levels (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea) recorded. Those are LOOOONNNGGG... but after that the Hansel and Gretel levels are more in line with what I've enjoyed in Bubsy.

i always enjoyed the bubsy games and felt the jag version was one of the better of the 2d versions. i really enjoyed the speed. not great for me, but good.

Agreed. I would not say best, to matter the fact on the Jag Zool 2 gets it for speed and Rayman for graphics and play.

But Bubsy is a good game. Not the best game, but good, and as I'm trying to show, playable and fun. And speaking of which...

Levels 7-9. (Don't miss the description of the video off to the side.)

Now to just get the water levels (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea) recorded. Those are LOOOONNNGGG... but after that the Hansel and Gretel levels are more in line with what I've enjoyed in Bubsy.

You're probably simultaneously setting the world "Bubsy FF Speedrun" record here. :)

This is selling me on the game by the way.

You're probably simultaneously setting the world "Bubsy FF Speedrun" record here. :)

This is selling me on the game by the way.

Whooo hooo!!! :cool: With a bit of practice the moves become more reflex and it becomes a lot of fun.

Speedrun... Yep, level 7 in a minute and a half!! Yeh!! I'm proud of that one. Bear in mind that some of those levels I died a lot but trimmed repeated material to keep the movie under the 10 minute limit of YouTube.

You know what always amazed me though? The guys who did the Jaguar Gamer's Guide wayyy back and how they were able to get through the game with seemingly little problem. They talk about the game like it was a preview before the release, and they talk about how they like the game controls on the Jag version better than the NES or Sega versions. And they give some great advice on how to get through all the levels. Amazes me since they talk about getting through the game in what sounded like a week or so and here I've been playing levels 1-12 for years off and on. :) (Sometimes I peeked ahead on the Hansel & Gretel.)

So hats off to them.

post-4709-1153239977_thumb.jpg

Edited by doctorclu

I gave Jag Bubsy another shot after reading this thread, and it's not a bad game. I personally like the SNES version a bit better, but the Jag is a strong contender. SNES version seems like it has more enemies and more varied terrain.

My main beef with the Jag version is that the level design is SO inconsistent. The Alice in Wonderland levels seemed pretty dull to me and searching for the switches to open spiked doors isn't my idea of a good time. However, after that, things pick up again. The beanstalk world is decent fun and the Ali Baba levels are GREAT! If the designers had started the game with those levels, I think that Jag Bubsy would get a lot more respect than it does. The water levels are, in my opinion, kinda blah, and I haven't seen Hansel and Gretel yet. Hopefully, they end the game on a good note.

I gave Jag Bubsy another shot after reading this thread, and it's not a bad game. I personally like the SNES version a bit better, but the Jag is a strong contender. SNES version seems like it has more enemies and more varied terrain.

SNES/Sega -----------

Hilly small town/Forrest

Carnval

Old West (train/desert)

Jungle?

Outer Space (Poly & Ester's ship)

Jaguar -----------

Alice (Table settings, large mushrooms)

Beanstalk (Lots of vines, large leaves, spikey things)(Castles in the 6th level)

Ali Baba (desert terrain/caves)

20,000 leages (underwater/corral/Submarine)

Hansel/Gretel (Candyland.. reminds me of Zool2)

They're both creative, but I'll admit, the NES/Sega version is just a bit lighter and more fun. ;) As you said, the Jag version is a strong contender though.

My main beef with the Jag version is that the level design is SO inconsistent. The Alice in Wonderland levels seemed pretty dull to me and searching for the switches to open spiked doors isn't my idea of a good time. However, after that, things pick up again. The beanstalk world is decent fun and the Ali Baba levels are GREAT! If the designers had started the game with those levels, I think that Jag Bubsy would get a lot more respect than it does. The water levels are, in my opinion, kinda blah, and I haven't seen Hansel and Gretel yet. Hopefully, they end the game on a good note.

Hansel & Gretel is a Candyland, kinda like in Zool2. What is cool that the flying manhole plates that you see that fly up and then land, and then fly up again in the NES/Sega version are done in the same fashion as bottle caps on soda bottles. In truth, so far, the last three levels are the most like the SNES/Sega levels from what I've seen so far.

Alice.. love it. Good practice for getting used to the controls.

Beanstalk .. hated at first now love.

Ali Baba ... love a lot

20,000 leagues ... my least favorite.

Hansel .. fun from what I've seen so far.

Ok, Levels 10-12 are now on onto YouTube. Due to the size of these levels they required their own seven minute files a piece. (Maybe someday I can shave that down a bit more timewise.)

Level 10:

Level 11:

Level 12:

• 4 months later...

I thik it's a terrible game, easily one of the worst for the Jaguar. The input is awful - we're talking Checkered Flag bad! :(

If you say so, but Bubsy is nowhere as bad as Checkered Flag or Double Dragon V man. It takes a bit to get used to the controls, but the game is rather playable compared to Checkered Flag dude. I can't even stomache CF for more that a minute or two. Then it goes back on my shelf and sits there until I decide it might have magically fixed itself and I pull it down again and try it out and feel like I'm gonna' barf all over again! ;) True Story too!

I thik it's a terrible game, easily one of the worst for the Jaguar. The input is awful - we're talking Checkered Flag bad! :(

If you say so, but Bubsy is nowhere as bad as Checkered Flag or Double Dragon V man. It takes a bit to get used to the controls, but the game is rather playable compared to Checkered Flag dude. I can't even stomache CF for more that a minute or two. Then it goes back on my shelf and sits there until I decide it might have magically fixed itself and I pull it down again and try it out and feel like I'm gonna' barf all over again! ;) True Story too!

I've heard it said that CF is playable if you change the camera angle to above the car, but only played my copy long enoungh to crash a few times and say "Well, that's interesting." I think Supercross got the same reason from me.

The only shame about Double Dragon 5 was that the franchise by that point went to the one on one fighting, which I am not all that much into. Now Double Dragon (where you walk along beating people up, picking up bats, etc) on the Lynx is simply too much fun. :) Swing batter batter!! :cool:

Yeh I was disappointed when I found out about Double Dragon 5. I could have taken a CRAPPY Double Dragon as long as it was like Double Dragon 1.

Hmm, Bubsy... I found the graphics rather neat being kinda similar to DKC's SGI. BUT...the play mechanics...ugh. Not to mention the difficulty. Is there a 2d side-scrolling platform game with a harder first level!?!? lol One thing that rather annoyed me was dying a lot in the first level and hearing that same music over and over and Bubsy saying "Let's go get the Bubster" or something like that. Bleh... I have to admit, I havn't played it much, but first impressions weren't so great. If I had to rate it from the limited time I played, I'd give it a 65%.

Hmm, Bubsy... I found the graphics rather neat being kinda similar to DKC's SGI. BUT...the play mechanics...ugh. Not to mention the difficulty. Is there a 2d side-scrolling platform game with a harder first level!?!? lol One thing that rather annoyed me was dying a lot in the first level and hearing that same music over and over and Bubsy saying "Let's go get the Bubster" or something like that. Bleh... I have to admit, I havn't played it much, but first impressions weren't so great. If I had to rate it from the limited time I played, I'd give it a 65%.

Okay okay... someone suggested earlier that if later levels were played first Bubsy would have been more enjoyable. So FIRST TIMERS TO JAGUAR BUBSY... Take a suggestion from another player... play the segments in this order...

Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves:

chapter 7 - 812615

chapter 8 - 781367

chapter 9 - 126712 Genie Boss - Easy!

Jack and the Beanstalk

chapter 4 - 958936

chapter 5 - 739294

chapter 6 - 184792 The Giant - Kinda Difficult

Alice in Wonderland

chapter 1 - 111111

chapter 2 - 392652

chapter 3 - 458227 Mad Hatter - Fairly Difficult

Hansel & Gretel

chapter 13 - 672328

chapter 14 - 782389

chapter 15 - 672345 Hansel & Gretel - Hard

Extra Credit:

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Chapter 10 - 236721

Chapter 11 - 673167

Chapter 12 - 792323 Large Lobster - Quite Hard

This is the order after playing it that it should have gone in, really based on the levels and more so the bosses. So start with Ali Baba and see what you think of it from there. Many have liked those levels best.

When you get tired of the music, hit "0" and that kills the music but not the sound effects.

Let's see, Bubsy's sayings are...

"Oh sure, let's all torch the Bubster" (Alice in Wonderland)

"Pilot's License? What for?" (Jack and the Beanstalk)

"Keep it up! Just keep it up!" (Ali Baba)

"Who do I look like? Flipper?" (20,000 Leagues)

"Nothing can stop me now!" (Hansel & Gretel)

At least I believe that is what he's saying. Some were recycled from the original Bubsy game, some were new. And yeh, they can get a bit old, like when I keep dying on level 15 and Bubsy is saying "Nothing can stop me now!" I'm sitting there going well, "Well, with the exception of the dripping jam from the ceiling, the bees, the pie throwers...." :)

Bubsy is just a naturally hard game. Anybody expecting it to be a cakewalk is in for a surprise. Even though the original SNES game was easier, it was still a damn hard game. I went into the Jag game with high expectations, and was sorely dissappointed.

Graphics are good, and the hit detection is great, WTF? why the idea the hit detection is poor? maybe cause everything will kill you if you don't jump on it? And some stuff will even if you do. Anyhow, I don't think it was any wors than the SNES version.

But this game took what was a great, although estremely hard platformer, and made it quiet a bit more dull and boreing. Or maybe I just have fond memorys of the SNES game and it sucked too? :P I don't know.

Bubsy is just a naturally hard game. Anybody expecting it to be a cakewalk is in for a surprise. Even though the original SNES game was easier, it was still a damn hard game. I went into the Jag game with high expectations, and was sorely dissappointed.

Graphics are good, and the hit detection is great, WTF? why the idea the hit detection is poor? maybe cause everything will kill you if you don't jump on it? And some stuff will even if you do. Anyhow, I don't think it was any wors than the SNES version.

But this game took what was a great, although estremely hard platformer, and made it quiet a bit more dull and boreing. Or maybe I just have fond memorys of the SNES game and it sucked too? :P I don't know.

Well the original Bubsy game was above all cute and fun. This was made possible partly by the involvement of Michael Berlyn (also a infocom writer) who made Bubsy and Bubsy 3D. What both have in common is a spirit of fun and zanniness above all. To matter the fact, great effort and resources are put into the games so that Bubsy had this upbeat and fun attitude and animation slightly more so than the challenges. That is why the original Bubsy had like 40 different animations to keep him fairly fresh in how he lived and died.

Jag Bubsy maintained some of this, but many of the animations did not translate over as it seems like the animations were fewer. So with Jag Bubsy you have the cuteness still, but it more about the challenges and you have less lighthearted animations to make you forget just what a difficult puzzle you are undertaking.

So with Jag Bubsy you find yourself getting killed more, and with more of the same animations more often than say on the original, so that is why I think many prefer the original Bubsy above all.

Just my theory. :cool: