IGNORED

Which Vectrex games are fun to play?

Crazy Climber

Vectrex owners, I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I've owned a Vectrex for a couple years now as the result of finding one at a great price and I still have only played Mine Storm. Its not that I dont want to buy games for it but I never owned one as a kid so I dont really know what games are better than others for this cool game machine. I would like to buy them complete or at least with the overlay and instuctions (which can be expensive) to get the full Vectrex experience so before I plunk down the cash on an expensive game maybe some serious Vectrex fans could give me a little advice on what games to avoid. Thanks for the help.

Protector/YASI. It's the answer to everything on the Vectrex!

So hey, did John Dondzila ever release his Vectrex conversion of Space Fury?

JR

Please excuse my lack of knowledge on this system but what is Protector/YASI?

Homebrew cart. Contains ports of Defender and Space Invaders.

IMO, the best of thge original Vectrex games are MineStorm, Cosmic Chasm, RipOff, Solar Quest and Web Wars. Don't actually own Web Wars, so that's based on emulation. Still fun, regardless.

I've got a soft spot for Vectrex Berzerk, but it's a horrible port with flaky hit detection and flicker/slowdown out the orifice of your choice.

Sorry, I really phoned in that response, didn't I?

Read this review and all will be revealed...

http://grblitz.overclocked.org/others.htm#protectoryasi

Also, check out my page dedicated to the Vectrex's official releases!

http://grblitz.overclocked.org/vectrex.htm

You'll find two different perspectives on each game, letting you make all the right choices when buying games for your system. Good luck, and let me know what you think of your first purchases!

JR

P.S. You can buy Vectrex carts, including that fan favorite Protector/YASI, from this site:

http://www.vectrexcarts.com

Check out John Dondzila's homebrew games .. www.classicgamecreations.com

Also George Pelonis games too.

The Vectrex homebrew scene used to be busier than the Atari homebrew until about 4-5 years ago. And that's only because John used to write lotsa games and now there are more Atari homebrewers around.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Mine storm might be the best pack in ever, or at least until Super Mario Bros on the NES.

Mine Storm is good, but don't ignore Rockaroids Remix (which you can get from VectrexCarts.com), which is a very nice Asteroids clone. Playing Asteroids in a dark room on a real vector system is fun. :)

A lot of people seem to like Berzerk, although I can't help but notice the game's many bugs and mindnumbing slowdown. It's just not the kind of game that's well suited to the Vectrex, and on top of that, the translation is less than polished. Why on Earth does this game have no voice synthesis when the Vectrex's requisite mascot game Spike has speech after every stage?

JR

Comments on comments: Protector is a must own but it is hard. I like Bezerk and semi-like Clean Sweep. And Scramble is a great version.

Other likes: Bedlam, Solar Quest, Armor Attack, Poll Position and that V-Frogger homebrew.

And I'm not a big fan of Rip Off either.

Eric

my friend got a vectrex at the cinciclassic with scramble and berzerk and i found all three games fun (including mine storm) arcade goodness on a gorgeous screen... though i wish the volume was louder

How loud does it need to be? I use mine at about a third to half-way up.

*fires it up to check the exact location*

Eww.

My volume knob's gotten a lot worse since last usage. I'm gonna have to crack this thing open to fix that. Pr'ly fix the buzz while I'm at it(oooh, add line out and jack it into my stereo... MineStorm with a subwoofer...). One more project to put off.

That may be part of the volume issue. Bad pot = raised resistance = much lower volume.

Edited by JB

Sorry, I really phoned in that response, didn't I?

Read this review and all will be revealed...

http://grblitz.overclocked.org/others.htm#protectoryasi

Also, check out my page dedicated to the Vectrex's official releases!

http://grblitz.overclocked.org/vectrex.htm

You'll find two different perspectives on each game, letting you make all the right choices when buying games for your system. Good luck, and let me know what you think of your first purchases!

JR

P.S. You can buy Vectrex carts, including that fan favorite Protector/YASI, from this site:

http://www.vectrexcarts.com

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for, I never realized the huge following this system has, I am totally in. And how about all those homebrews!! Only ten bucks!! I cant wait, and to think I almost sold this system a few months ago. I would have seriously regreted that.

I have to say thank you to everyone thats let me know what an awesome system this is, I always liked it but two years of Mine Storm was getting old. I am going to put an order in for some homebrews right away and start tracking down some originals as well. My original intention was just to play it but now I might even start collecting for it as well. Vectrex Rocks!!!

Debris looked cool, but the developer only made 100 copies :roll: Limited releases annoy me. If theres huge demands for the game, make more copies dammit. I buy my games to play, not to resell on ebay to make profits in the future. If I want to make extra money i'll do work on the side.

Edited by ManShowBoy

Thats why I don't deal in homebrews. The developer only cares about the rarity his game will become and how much it will be worth in the future. He could make more but he doesn't because he gets off knowing his game will be a collectable. Same goes for Battlesphere on the Jaguar, the guy gets off knowing his game is the rarest Jaguar game out there.

That stuff irks me :x