IGNORED

Commodore 64 questions

I´m pretty sure that that "thingie" on the front panel is not just something to hold the disc, but is actually making it possible for the drive to read the disc.

I don´t think IBM and Commodore had the slightest compability, but of course there might be some hardware wizkid here on the board who knows how to make it work. I doubt it though.

What do you mean by "drivecopy" bu the way?

best,

Henrik

Thats not a button, it closes over the slot and drops the spindle into place. This is what stops you yanking the disc out while it's still being spun.

I doubt you'll get a cheap Power supply, well, you'll get the unit cheap but have you seen how much they weigh? $$$$$ postage

Do not listen to the nah-sayer there

As long as you have the latest version of StarCom and run it in DOS mode (failing that Async mode in the program itself) you should be able to use any PC you have.

Having said that, I use it on my old 486 as it is less hassle heh...

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin:

Thats not a button, it closes over the slot and drops the spindle into place. This is what stops you yanking the disc out while it's still being spun.

I doubt you'll get a cheap Power supply, well, you'll get the unit cheap but have you seen how much they weigh? $$$$$ postage

I know what itr is just didnt know how to explain it???? can anyone get me one im getting sick of the duct tape , but its immpossible to pull out the disk , when thats turned , all i need is the outside part the metal part is there but you have to turn it w/ pliers

quote:

Originally posted by Berzerker:

I´m pretty sure that that "thingie" on the front panel is not just something to hold the disc, but is actually making it possible for the drive to read the disc.

I don´t think IBM and Commodore had the slightest compability, but of course there might be some hardware wizkid here on the board who knows how to make it work. I doubt it though.

What do you mean by "drivecopy" bu the way?

best,

Henrik

I mean drive copy , two words as in can the drive copy files (games) to the disk?

I just built an XE-1541 cable last week. I had to get the latest beta for it to work, but it works great! I'm using it with a Pentium 166.

I first learned to program on the C64, and I wanted to back up my first programs on my PC. I was also able to download and make disks of games where my original disk had gone bad or is lost.

-Paul

For connectin a1541 (or 1571) hard drive, it exist a cable named XE-1541 which can be connected to the parallel port of your PC.

But your PC must be an old one....forget to connect to the last 1.6 GHZ P4 on XP to your C64 hardrive.

When you have this cable, you got to use a program called StarCommander... try thislink ...it lists plenty of various softwares for transfering from/to C64 to/from various machines (Amiga for example).

A good link