IGNORED

Odyssey 2 fans?

HawgWyld

I'm curious. Does anyone give a damn about the Odyssey 2? I have one with The Voice unit, and still pull it out and play with it frequently. The console, frankly, sucks. Why do I keep playing it? Why do I buy games for it when I run across them. Why? Why? Why?

I was hoping someone out there liked the system and could explain my strange attraction to it for me.

The only games i like for Odyssey2 is Quest for the rings (cause of the game board),

pick axe pete, pocket billiards, and KC munchkin

i have 2 of these systems and i hardly ever hook them up for the simple fact its just not worth hooking up the tv/game switch to play those games and the size of the console its huge.

but i will buy games for it if i run across them in the wild and are in there boxes and i dont have it yet, cause both my consoles are boxed with manuals, all my games are in there boxes (most with manuals)

i dont like the system that much to pull it out and play it tho

quote:

Originally posted by Lemmi:

The only games i like for Odyssey2 is Quest for the rings (cause of the game board),

pick axe pete, pocket billiards, and KC munchkin

i have 2 of these systems and i hardly ever hook them up for the simple fact its just not worth hooking up the tv/game switch to play those games and the size of the console its huge.

but i will buy games for it if i run across them in the wild and are in there boxes and i dont have it yet, cause both my consoles are boxed with manuals, all my games are in there boxes (most with manuals)

i dont like the system that much to pull it out and play it tho

Hadn't messed with a "T/V Game" switch in a long time, so that's not really a consideration. I just use an RCA to "F" adaptor and run it and the cable input through an A/B switch. Great picture on vintage machines, and it's easy to change them out

As for the O2, I wind up playing bowling, KC Munchkin or KC's Crazy Chase, Attack of the Timelord and UFO when I hook it up.

Still, it doesn't get much play when compared to my beloved 7800.

Among my various old systems (all connected to a single TV), an Odyssey 2 (or Videopac as we call it in Europe).

I play sometimes on it, so clunky and pixels are so big

But that's not my favorite as you might think

And I have around 12 games all boxed some in plastic boxes and some in cardboard too.

quote:

Originally posted by z_a_n_z_a:

Among my various old systems (all connected to a single TV), an Odyssey 2 (or Videopac as we call it in Europe).

I play sometimes on it, so clunky and pixels are so big

But that's not my favorite as you might think

And I have around 12 games all boxed some in plastic boxes and some in cardboard too.

And, I've got three O2 carts on the way as a result of an eBay auction. They have boxes, manuals and everything else.

Of all the systems I have at home, the O2 is probably my least favorite. Yet, I still buy games for it. Odd.

quote:

Originally posted by liquid_sky:

it really sucks but yet i could play killer bees and pick axe pete for ages..hmm

Killer Bees is a good one. Costs more than I'm willing to pay, however. Pickaxe Pete, although primitive as hell (as all O2 games are) is another title that's oddly attractive.

quote:

there was such a load of bad titles for the 02

Most of them were pretty bad, in fact. Most of the arcade games gave the player one "life" (except for "Alien Invadiers Plus!," but that one is just awful). Sadly, that one "life" would often go pretty quick because everything was so big and blocky it was hard to keep from hitting things and getting killed.

Youve probally read this before, but its great.. very funny

http://www.classicgaming.com/o2home/hype/

from page:

Bowling!/Basketball! - "A true electronic simulation!"/"So realistic, the court has a built-in gravity field!" Bowling! is incredibly realistic—you get to control the direction of the ball after you've thrown it, just like in real life. And there is gravity in Basketball!. The ball bounces, and bounces, and bounces... apparently the game is taking place on the moon. The players look alien enough -- freakishly tall guys with outstretched arms who slide across the court. They don't move at all, just eerily slide back and forth. This game could give a young child nightmares.

quote:

Youve probally read this before, but its great.. very funny

from page:

Bowling!/Basketball! - "A true electronic simulation!"/"So realistic, the court has a built-in gravity field!" Bowling! is incredibly realistic—you get to control the direction of the ball after you've thrown it, just like in real life. And there is gravity in Basketball!. The ball bounces, and bounces, and bounces... apparently the game is taking place on the moon. The players look alien enough -- freakishly tall guys with outstretched arms who slide across the court. They don't move at all, just eerily slide back and forth. This game could give a young child nightmares.

I haven't seen that in awhile, and couldn't resist reading it again. Funny stuff! Some of the funniest stuff ever written ever in the history of, uh, anything!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Freedom Fighter:

I know what it is that attracts you to it.... And I'm surprised that nobody mentioned it. The CONTROLLERS. Thay are flat out some of the best I've seen. The only drawback is that they are not detachable.

The controllers *are* very good. Want to hear something sad? I've got a spare set of them. Yes, indeed! Where did I get them? Out of an old O2 unit that died. Sad, sad.

this sound really lame but you gotta remember i was a little kid.. i used to think speedway kicked ass. i would go to my moms friends and they had an o2 and i would sit an dplay speedway for hours.. now it looks like the "shit is falling you best dodge it" game.

I havent played killer bees in so long so i downloaed the rom and i have one problem.. all i do is fly arond i cant slow and kill the robots! ARGH!

[ 03-06-2002: Message edited by: liquid_sky ]

quote:

Originally posted by Freedom Fighter:

I know what it is that attracts you to it.... And I'm surprised that nobody mentioned it. The CONTROLLERS. Thay are flat out some of the best I've seen. The only drawback is that they are not detachable.

heh i got one console with detachable controllers

and the other console are not detachable

quote:

Originally posted by Lemmi:

heh i got one console with detachable controllers

and the other console are not detachable

That's pretty lucky as I understand there weren't a whole lot of them made with detachable controllers. To get my spares, I had to open up the dead O2 and pull the out (along with whatever else I could salvage).

quote:

this sound really lame but you gotta remember i was a little kid.. i used to think speedway kicked ass. i would go to my moms friends and they had an o2 and i would sit an dplay speedway for hours.. now it looks like the "shit is falling you best dodge it" game.

I havent played killer bees in so long so i downloaed the rom and i have one problem.. all i do is fly arond i cant slow and kill the robots! ARGH!

[ 03-06-2002: Message edited by: liquid_sky ]

Doesn't sound that lame. When I was growing up, most of us kids had Atari 2600's (actually, I think they were still badged as "Atari VCS" back then). One kid, though, had an Odyssey 2 and we played the hell out of that thing. That's probably just because it was something new and different, so we were thrilled with it -- particularly when he got a copy of "K.C. Munchkin" when that was a controversial game. His father said he got it before they were pulled from the shelves, so we loved it (you know -- "Wow! An *illegal* game. Nifty!"

Another kid in my neighborhood had an Intellivision, but that's another story entirely.

quote:

I used to feel the same way about Speedway!... Actually, I only play O² once every 3 or 4 years so I always forget the simple "avoid falling shit" theme by the time I pull Speedway! out again...

Although I really don't like many of the O² games, I do think it was a neat system.

The Voice with the speech cartridge (Type and Tell) that would (try to) say whatever you typed was awesome! K.C's Krazy Chase (with the Voice) was funny too. "In-credible!" "Oh! No!" "Hur-ree!"

I like the high score filled with "???????" too... I find it more immersive that the system appears to be sharing my confusion...

The thing has a charm about it. I wish I still had mine. I'd buy one again, except my wife would definitely shoot me! ; )

I still play the games via the O2em emulator. Not quite the same as those great controllers, the clunky silver and black console and those wacky carts. Ah! My youth. Where did it go?

Looking back, boy, those graphics were horrific! The sound was not good either. But the gameplay...at least on a hand full of them, was fantastic. I remember being mesmerized by Cosmic Conflict (I always did like 'first person shooters' even though it barely qualified) and titles like KC Munchkin (wow! Pac Man, for real!) and KC's Krazy Chase. I liked the bowling thing, though I don't know why. Guess I was easily amused.

The O2 and Atari 2600 are great systems to play with your kids. The controllers are easy to use and the games are simple. My 8-year old daughter loves playing my O2 and my 2600, but she won't touch my nes or sega genesis because they are too difficult for her to play.

Nothing beats Pick Axe Pete. I played that game for hours when I was a kid. My brother and I would duke it out all day long to see who could get the highest score. I still play it to this day, more than any other classic game.

quote:

Originally posted by black dog:

The O2 and Atari 2600 are great systems to play with your kids. The controllers are easy to use and the games are simple. My 8-year old daughter loves playing my O2 and my 2600, but she won't touch my nes or sega genesis because they are too difficult for her to play.

It's the same story with my five-year-old son! He loves the Odyssey 2 (to a degree), as well as the Atari 2600 and Atari 7800. He tries real hard on the Sonic titles for my Dreamcast and Genesis, but they're a bit rough for him right now.

Those old, classic systems, however, are easy for him to understand. One action button, after all, is easier to figure out than four and a couple of triggers.