IGNORED

Bad Trader Alert

FND

• 1 month later...

I'd recommend avoiding dealing with Darrell Reid on OfferUp. I bought a CRT off of him and it arrived in pieces. Terrible pack job. Ironically, I was refunded automatically by OfferUp while it was in transit due to their wonky rule if the system doesn't detect a USPS scan within three days, you're refunded, but the seller had shipped in in a timely fashion, it just wasn't scanned by USPS until it was nearly at the destination. Here are pics (I pulled off a few pieces of packing paper to get better shots):

9827F0DB-6C68-490A-B5F9-DD74CC18D509.jpeg

2BB6A205-2FB8-4D64-8EC9-F5CE7B47B57E.jpeg

D779C72B-8CA4-4271-83A9-EB15510B990B.jpeg

C487FE03-4BF0-40A9-8EB2-8575914FEEDD.jpeg

F42FA5F4-84CB-40B2-B3C1-D132640ECF76.jpeg

• Sad 2

Yeah it's a real shame. Obviously they aren't making CRTs anymore, so another one bites the dust. He even had the audacity to include on the packing slip, in a section about "if you're not happy, we're not happy" that "if the problem is shipper error, you must file with them immediately." Yeah, no. 

16 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Yeah..looks like the tube was 'necked' in the process as well given that black hole like appearance in the center of it.

Yeah I noticed that. I was planning on disposing of it today but the seller wants me to hold onto it for the time being because he intends to submit an insurance claim to USPS and there's a chance, albeit unlikely, that I'll need to bring it to the post office for inspection. This was all his fault, so I hope the postal service denies his claim. 

13 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Yeah I noticed that. I was planning on disposing of it today but the seller wants me to hold onto it for the time being because he intends to submit an insurance claim to USPS and there's a chance, albeit unlikely, that I'll need to bring it to the post office for inspection. This was all his fault, so I hope the postal service denies his claim. 

You might be surprised. I had someone send me their 5200 in a box that only had some loose styrofoam pieces around it to protect it. Needless to say, that 5200 arrived with the case shells in several pieces. I took video of the unboxing process because I could hear it rattling before I even opened it up and the box also didn't have too much signs of stress. With that video and the pics I took, the sender was able to get their insurance claim within a week from their local postmaster. This was pre-pandemic of course but I guess my point is, that owner of the 5200 didn't have too many issues getting their money back from it and I was able to provide a replacement console shell set to put the innards of their original into.

• Like 3

Is there anything special about this TV?

I certainly agree that the guy packaged it like a dope but I doubt that I'd ever want any old-school TV shipped to me for reasons like this.  I am a big CRT fan, have 7 of various sizes in reserve that I hopefully assume will last me the rest of my lifetime.

I know that Goodwills and thrift stores are no longer accepting these TV as donations but still on occasion see some nice ones put out on garbage day.  I actually got a few good ones for free just by putting out the word at my job that if anyone was looking to get rid of these beasts that I'd come and take it off their hands.  27" and smaller, of course ?

3 minutes ago, TeddyBear89 said:

Is there anything special about this TV?

I certainly agree that the guy packaged it like a dope but I doubt that I'd ever want any old-school TV shipped to me for reasons like this.  I am a big CRT fan, have 7 of various sizes in reserve that I hopefully assume will last me the rest of my lifetime.

I know that Goodwills and thrift stores are no longer accepting these TV as donations but still on occasion see some nice ones put out on garbage day.  I actually got a few good ones for free just by putting out the word at my job that if anyone was looking to get rid of these beasts that I'd come and take it off their hands.  27" and smaller, of course ?

Nah nothing special about it but it was $10 with $13.99 shipping (OfferUp has a deal with USPS and regardless of weight, that's the most you'll pay on shipping) so I figured why not. I do think I'll go local next time. Facebook Marketplace and similar seem to have a decent amount of options for free or cheap. eBay is a joke for CRTs. 

Like I mentioned, I think I have enough CRTs to last me the rest of my days.  But still, sometimes on garbage day I'll see one put out.  I've actually gotten out of my car, looked at the back to see if it has S-Video and multiple composite inputs and almost want to knock on the door to ask if it was still working.

It takes some restraint at times, telling myself "enough is enough".....

Best of luck on the TV search - ask co-workers, neighbors, extended family members......you might get lucky!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

Nah nothing special about it but it was $10 with $13.99 shipping (OfferUp has a deal with USPS and regardless of weight, that's the most you'll pay on shipping) so I figured why not. I do think I'll go local next time. Facebook Marketplace and similar seem to have a decent amount of options for free or cheap. eBay is a joke for CRTs. 

Too bad you're not near Indiana. I have a 24" Trinitron that needs a good home.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

Well, that sounds like the main problem, it would cost $75 to pack and ship a CRT safely!  Nobody is going to do that for $25.  Is that OfferUp deal on the shipper's side too?

11 minutes ago, thanatos said:

Well, that sounds like the main problem, it would cost $75 to pack and ship a CRT safely!  Nobody is going to do that for $25.  Is that OfferUp deal on the shipper's side too?

Ha, I hear ya. It's my understanding that the $13.99 shipping cost, paid by the buyer, covers the postage regardless (I'm sure there's some upper limit, but I've never seen it), due to negotiated rates. There are reddit threads about it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Bad ebayer, and I would assume trader, but I don't have there AA id.

id:  ef-037

I did what I shouldn't have done and was asked to end an auction, with no bids, early and just invoice them. I did so, on two auctions, explaining that I had a family emergence and would not be able to get to this until Sunday (11/1) or Monday. I get back and they sent me an eBay message stating they found a better deal and don't want them anymore.

I know I shouldn't have done this but he was persistent and I thought really liked the games. 

When I told him he should honor what we asked for, he said he didn't have to. So I've banned him from buying anything from me.

My guess it could have been one of those dirt bags trolling eBay to get cheap carts to just resell them.

As I just discovered this topic, I thought better late than never to report this:

AA id: kjmann (Sal Esquivel, former atarirage.com owner)

In this post, after returning from my 1st PRGE back in 2011, I was raving about my visit to kjmann's booth at PRGE.

I purchased one of his refurbished Atari 1200XL, paid on the spot (including shipping) using Paypal and he agreed to ship it to my home address in Switzerland as I was not able to carry it in my luggage.

Unfortunately, the 1200XL never came; I tried to contact him many times and never got any answer. I read that at the time, he had health issues, so I kept waiting, hoping he would eventually get back to business. I waited so long that in the end, it was too late to get a refund from Paypal.

I see that some of the posts in this thread end up being resolved, I also see that kjmann is still active and has a reputation to defend on this site so maybe, I might entertain some hope of ever receiving my Atari 1200XL?...

• Like 2

NOTICE:  Do not try to purchase anything from Halshader.com.  I ordered some items for my LYNX.  I knew I was in trouble when I never got an invoice after I paid via PayPal.  Don't get me started on their process either.  Anyway, I filed a claim via PayPal.  Within a day or so I got a UPS tracking number.  The delivery location was to my hometown.  However, the weight of the shipment was totally wrong, 32lbs versus about 1lb for my items.  I followed the shipment.  It was for some other address, not mine.  Since PayPal received a tracking number from the shipper (bogus as it was), they denied my claim.  End of story.   Buyer beware, ONLY order from well-known, reputable sources.  Lesson learned by me.  Crap!

8 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

This happens far too much and PayPal needs to be taken to task for this bullshit.

Yeah.  I have been fairly lucky over the years with PayPal and Ebay.  I have been ripped off twice by Ebayers, Alibaba (Chinese), and now this Chinese seller (Halshader).  And did the Ebay company OR PayPal hold them to task? NO!.  I have learned my lesson, and ONLY deal vendors I know well.