IGNORED

Eager Project?

klownybrown

Hello,

I'm rather new to VCS development, so all of this seems to be a very vague plan. I want to write a VCS game, burn it on eprom, put it into a cart and then give it away as a birthday gift for a friend who is a very enthusiastic Atari fan. After reading up on BB, I thought it might save me loads of time, but there are still two major questions remaining:

- Will the average BB project run on the real thing?

...and...

- How do I write PAL code instead of NTSC? Is it just a different color table or do I have to fix other stuff in order to get a working PAL project?

I'm sorry if those questions have been already discussed on the boards, if so, just drop me a pointer, thanks.

Regards, Klown

Welcome!

Hello,

I'm rather new to VCS development, so all of this seems to be a very vague plan. I want to write a VCS game, burn it on eprom, put it into a cart and then give it away as a birthday gift for a friend who is a very enthusiastic Atari fan. After reading up on BB, I thought it might save me loads of time, but there are still two major questions remaining:

- Will the average BB project run on the real thing?

Yup. Or at least all games I've tried have worked without problems.

...and...

- How do I write PAL code instead of NTSC? Is it just a different color table or do I have to fix other stuff in order to get a working PAL project?

I'm sorry if those questions have been already discussed on the boards, if so, just drop me a pointer, thanks.

Regards, Klown

You can change the TV type by adding the line:

set tv pal

at the beginning of your program.

Your code will run much the same in PAL or NTSC. You don't necessarily have to code differently if you don't mind the following:

- Aspect ratio in NTSC is 5:3 and PAL is 2:1.

- PAL games run 17% slower than NTSC.

- Colors are different in PAL, and only NTSC colors are shown in the help file. So for PAL, you will want to use the color table here to select your colors:

http://www.qotile.net/minidig/docs/tia_color.html

Welcome!

You can change the TV type by adding the line:

set tv pal

at the beginning of your program.

Your code will run much the same in PAL or NTSC. You don't necessarily have to code differently if you don't mind the following:

- Aspect ratio in NTSC is 5:3 and PAL is 2:1.

- PAL games run 17% slower than NTSC.

- Colors are different in PAL, and only NTSC colors are shown in the help file. So for PAL, you will want to use the color table here to select your colors:

http://www.qotile.net/minidig/docs/tia_color.html

Thanks a lot!

This was exactly the type of answer I was hoping for. So there's no excuse for delaying work on that birthday present any longer. ;)

Regards,

Klown