IGNORED

C-64 The Wizard Of OZ

Junie

I recently purchased a boxed copy of The Wizard Of OZ while thrifting, it has the plastic insert, manual, and 2 floppy disks.

On the box it says it is for the IBM/IBM Jr., once I got it home and looked at the manual it also works on the Commodore 64/128, Apple, and IBM.

It is made by Spinnaker and copyrighted 1984, anyone know anything about this software? I am curious of the rariety, I don't want to sell it just wanting to know how popular the Wizard Of OZ game is. I didn't know that Commodore 64 software operated on other systems.

I was happy to find out that the software also works for the Commodore 64, I will have to dig it out and try it out

quote:

Originally posted by moycon:

Wasn't that a text adventure with pictures?

If it is I don't know how rare it is now but I had it when I was a kid. I used to love those text adventures. It seems to me the same company who put out W O Oz also released games on other classic books, Swiss Family and Alice in Wonderland maybe a few more as well.

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: moycon ]

Your right it is a text adventure with images, and the same company Windham also made Alice in Wonderland (I went game hunting online).

I was unable to find the Wizard Of OZ game anywhere online, but have found a site that has a ton of various games.

I built myself a X1541 cable last night (3am) and tested out the Star Commander software. I read several of my floppies and even made some new ones from the games I found. (My wife is quite happy with the Paperboy game).

I can't get the game to work on the C64 no matter which side of the disk I try, it can not find the program. I am going to try and see if the Star Commander software can read it and perhaps make a new fixed copy.

As mentioned there are two disks in the box, one is labeled disk A with the game name and etc., and the other disk has the label missing (only glue residue is left). So I am wondering if there are any other disks missing or if they have been damaged.

Sadly, I can't find anything out about the game online.

I have a copy of it. It's the only of the Windham classic games I haven't finished. Treasure Island uses the same engine (text adventure with pictures) and it was a great game. Below the Root and Alice in Wonderland are a bit different (platform based RPG/puzzle games) but they're two of my favorite C64 games.

-Paul

Wasn't that a text adventure with pictures?

If it is I don't know how rare it is now but I had it when I was a kid. I used to love those text adventures. It seems to me the same company who put out W O Oz also released games on other classic books, Swiss Family and Alice in Wonderland maybe a few more as well.

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: moycon ]

quote:

Originally posted by moycon:

Hey Junie, I found this....

It has the data off the disks to download. Says there are 4 disk....or 4 sides.

Thanks for the link Moycon, I'm downloading it now

I played around with it yesterday it works fine on my older 486DX PC (Has the 5 1/4" drive). All the files appear to be in a directory on the disk. This is no way to switch directories with the C64 is there?

The PC version plays from Disk A, perhaps the other disk contains the rest of the files for the adventures further in the game.

As for trying it with my X1541 cable and Star Commander software still no luck. Looks like I'll just pack it away for collecting and make me some new disks with the download.

I'm curious seening how games can be easily made with floppy disks and written in Basic, are people still making games for the Commodore 64 like they do the Atari 2600?

As I recall, it will ask you to switch disks when you get further into the adventure. Windham Classics do have copy protection, so you will probably not be able to just read them into Star Commander and have them work on an emulator. You need cracked versions for the Star Commander.

I have found people still making C-64 software, but I can't remember where. I'm considering doing a Synthcart for the C-64 next year.

-Paul

quote:

Originally posted by Smart Patrol:

As I recall, it will ask you to switch disks when you get further into the adventure. Windham Classics do have copy protection, so you will probably not be able to just read them into Star Commander and have them work on an emulator. You need cracked versions for the Star Commander.

I have found people still making C-64 software, but I can't remember where. I'm considering doing a Synthcart for the C-64 next year.

-Paul

I wondered about that as well, copy protection. I planned to try and copy them to a new floppy to use on my C-64, I don't care for emulators (It isn't the same, not to mention joysticks).

The files on the original disks are in another directory on the disks, is there any way to change directories on a floppy disk on the C-64?

Sounds very interesting about the Synthcart for the C-64, I wonder how it will sound compared to the Atari 2600 version.

Do you know of any place that explains how to start out writting in Basic for the C-64? I imagine the program has to be compiled and everything so I was wanting to know how do I go about making something simple to start out.

The C-64 system looks very promising as I write programs for the PC (Small utilites and various things available online just about anywhere like simtel.net) in Basic/Qbasic. So I have a "leg-up" on writting in Basic for the C-64

And just as a word to add, new games are still being released for C64. However without the constraint of having to be on ROM, it means they can be easily transfered over the net and anyone with the right equipment can copy them to proper 5.25" discs and play on a real C64...

There are no directories on C-64. I believe you can't see the files because of the copy protection.

If you want to program the C-64 I suggest you get a C-64 programmers reference guide off ebay.

Personally, I think the Atari has a lot fatter sound than the C-64. The C-64 sounds kind of tinny. But the Atari is very limited in the notes in can produce, and the flexibility of the C-64 SID is unmatched. But the best part is that there are keyboards and MIDI adapters for the C-64 which I would support.

-Paul