IGNORED

Lord Of The E0 Bankswitch

Shawn

Hey All,

I was wonderng if anyone has ever tried to convert E0 bankswitching to a standard ATARI F4,F6,ect format so games like LOTR and River Patrol could be rperoduced? Especially for LOTR. And if it has not been tried is that because it would be more difficult than its worth to figure out for the small number of games that are in the E0 switch method?

Just Curious,

Shawn

Hey All,

I was wonderng if anyone has ever tried to convert E0 bankswitching to a standard ATARI F4,F6,ect format so games like LOTR and River Patrol could be rperoduced? Especially for LOTR. And if it has not been tried is that because it would be more difficult than its worth to figure out for the small number of games that are in the E0 switch method?

Just Curious,

Shawn

Yep... They've all been converted, except the Mr. Do's Castle conversion doesn't work quite right, and I don't think the LOTR conversion has been released. And isn't River Patrol a Tigervision (3F bankswtiching) game?

This thread contains most of them:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...opic=62843&st=0

Hey All,

Just Curious,

Shawn

Yep... They've all been converted, except the Mr. Do's Castle conversion doesn't work quite right, and I don't think the LOTR conversion has been released. And isn't River Patrol a Tigervision (3F bankswtiching) game?

This thread contains most of them:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...opic=62843&st=0

Your right, River PAtrol is not an E0. So LOTR has been converted just not released? If it has been converted is there a reason why it was\is not publicly avalible?

So LOTR has been converted just not released? If it has been converted is there a reason why it was\is not publicly avalible?

Yes.

Why is it not been shared? Is there legal issues or just not wanted to be shared in the community?

Rule#1 - The first rule of Fight Club is, you do not talk about Fight Club.

Rule#2 - The second rule of Fight Club is, you DO NOT talk about Fight Club.

The one thing that has always bothered me about that book/movie: If no one talked about Fight Club, how were there more people at every meeting? :ponder: :ponder: :ponder:

[quote name='Thomas Jentzsch'

Why is it not been shared? Is there legal issues or just not wanted to be shared in the community?

Rule#3 - Moby Dick was a Sperm Whale :idea:

But in all seriousness why is it being held back? I think alot of people would love to be able to make or have made their own cart of LOTR. Everyone should be able to have any\all of the proto games on cart form if they like the game even if just to show it was worthy of a release it never got back in the day so it can be appricated now by those who still follow and enjoy ATARI and not just the very few that own a proto of the game or have the obscure (but wonderful) skills to make odd BINs do there thing.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

• 4 weeks later...

So, if the converted LOTR won't be released, can you at least help out with E0 bankswitching?

Here's the description from Horton's document:

Parker Brothers was the main user of this method. This cart is segmented into 4 1K segments. Each segment can point to one 1K slice of the ROM image. You select the desired 1K slice by accessing 1FE0 to 1FE7 for the first 1K (1FE0 selects slice 0, 1FE1 selects slice 1, etc). 1FE8 to 1FEF selects the slice for the second 1K, and 1FF0 to 1FF8 selects the slice for the third 1K. The last 1K always points to the last 1K of the ROM image so that the cart always starts up in the exact same place.

What the heck is the difference between a slice and a segment?

So, if the converted LOTR won't be released, can you at least help out with E0 bankswitching?

Here's the description from Horton's document:

Parker Brothers was the main user of this method. This cart is segmented into 4 1K segments. Each segment can point to one 1K slice of the ROM image. You select the desired 1K slice by accessing 1FE0 to 1FE7 for the first 1K (1FE0 selects slice 0, 1FE1 selects slice 1, etc). 1FE8 to 1FEF selects the slice for the second 1K, and 1FF0 to 1FF8 selects the slice for the third 1K. The last 1K always points to the last 1K of the ROM image so that the cart always starts up in the exact same place.

What the heck is the difference between a slice and a segment?

Based on the above, I'd say a "segment" is a 1k section that lives in the 2600's 4k ROM address space, and a "slice" is a 1k section in the ROM's 8k address space. Any of the 8 slices can be placed in any 3 of the first 4 segments.

Thanks. I think I understand now. So, for example, instruction "LDA 1FE0" will make the addresses $F000-$F3FF point to the first 1K of the ROM, and "LDA 1FF5" will make $F800-FBFF point to the sixth 1K.

I suppose where the document states "1FF0 to 1FF8", it should read "1FF0 to 1FF7"