IGNORED

Marble Madness!

Gunstar

All I can say is this game rules, and it has always sucked that they never ported it to any of the Atari consoles, or even the 8-bit for that matter(ofcourse the c64 gets it! Wazup wit dat?)

I suppose the 5200 could have done this..and the 7800 for sure could have. But the boards would have been limited..and without the trackball controllers being more standard I don't think the joysticks...analog or digital could have done it justice.

Still...who knows...

Marble Madness is one of my all-time favorites. Never did finish it, I think I got to the level after the vacuums. Can this be configured in MAME for a trackball? One day I will purchase a MAME cabinet with a full retinue of controller types, and if this works I will be a very happy gamer indeed. Everything about that game kicked ass. That whole era of Atari coin-ops was relly awesome, IMO.

For those of you who didn't know already, Atari was actually working on a sequel to this game, but it got axed right before being produced! Apparently at the time, Atari didn't release anything they didn't think could compete with Street Fighter 2 (Which is a pretty unrealistic goal in my opinion).

Anyways, I don't know all that much about the game, but I remember a short while back, there was a group of people trying to raise enough money to buy one of the only known prototypes for the purposes of dumping the ROMS and preserving it... unfortunately, the guy (who incidentally also owns a prototype of the game "Bradley Trainer" which was the Battlezone game that Atari was working on for the military) wouldn't sell it.

--Zero

I believe there are at least 3 Marble Man machines out there. I think one of the programmers has one, that guy you mentioned has one, and I don't know about the other. I saw an article on it when I was researching Atari Arcade prototypes.

Tempest

Alex--

Yep, you can configure the controller type to be of the "rodent" family. You can buy a trakball-style mouse, too. Since Mame is now being written to run under Windows, anything that is available to Windows should be detected in Mame. Try Keys (this game), and play around with that (erase the game's .cfg file if it really gets messed up!).

Marble Madness is an awesome game, but I always sucked at it. When it first came out in arcades I couldn't afford to suck endless quarters into it to better my skills, so to this day I continue to suck at it. Someday when I get a MAME cabinet with a trackball controller, I'll exact my revenge.. heh, heh, heh.

After all these years I still remember all the catchy tunes in that game, as well as the sound of the vacuums as they tried to suck my b--uhhr, nevermind.

..Al

• 19 years later...
On 7/16/2001 at 6:28 PM, Ze_ro said:

For those of you who didn't know already, Atari was actually working on a sequel to this game, but it got axed right before being produced! Apparently at the time, Atari didn't release anything they didn't think could compete with Street Fighter 2 (Which is a pretty unrealistic goal in my opinion).

Anyways, I don't know all that much about the game, but I remember a short while back, there was a group of people trying to raise enough money to buy one of the only known prototypes for the purposes of dumping the ROMS and preserving it... unfortunately, the guy (who incidentally also owns a prototype of the game "Bradley Trainer" which was the Battlezone game that Atari was working on for the military) wouldn't sell it.

--Zero

I had posted this other places but might as well post it here as well, another link or two was with it in some other threads

https://arcadeblogger.com/2016/10/28/bradley-trainer-ataris-top-secret-military-project/

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 1 month later...