IGNORED

Deimos Lander

jbanes

Not sure if this has been continued in another thread or not, but its been a couple of months, any chance of a new BIN?

Oh, one of these days I suppose. It's still being held in my secret laboratory until I'm ready to foist it upon the world! :evil:

:lol: MWHAHAAHAHAH! :lol:

(^^Closest thing I've got to maniacal emoticons)

--

More seriously, progress has been slow but continues to move forward. I'd rather not release the BIN until the game is close to completion, though. I have a deadline for that in mind, but I'm not telling anyone what it is just in case I miss it.

I'm glad to see someone checking in, though. It helps me to keep in mind that there are folks who actually want to play my game. :o And there is nothing that provides more motivation than that. Thanks, Jess! :)

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fun game.. I bet with a little work it would make a nice Space Taxi.. one of my all time favorite C64 games.. you have multiple landing pads per screen.. you had to pick people up and drop them off at certain landing pads..

Edited by yuppicide

Fun game.. I bet with a little work it would make a nice Space Taxi.. one of my all time favorite C64 games.. you have multiple landing pads per screen.. you had to pick people up and drop them off at certain landing pads..

I still remember the "hey, taxi" voice!

• 7 years later...

Hi all! I know it's weird to bump this thread, but I have some news on this project. First, some background.

Back in 2007 when I was working on this game two major shifts in my life occurred:

1. I bought my first home and moved my family out to the suburbs
  2. My position at the company I worked for was eliminated after a merger created two redundant departments

In the chaos of these two events happening on top of each other (not to mention starting a really cool new job!) I thought I'd lost all the work on Deimos Lander. I couldn't find the code in my development folder and it seemed that any backups I had were far behind the current state of the project. I was able to create a Flash / Wii version based on the 4K version of the game since the source code for that was backed up in this thread. (Contrary to other posts on the matter, the 8-level Flash version was exactly the same as the final 4K version of the game.)

Recently I started messing about with RetroPie. RetroPie, for those who don't know, is a combined emulation platform on Raspberry Pi. It's a great way to relive old consoles. And when I loaded my ROM stash up into the RetroPie I was shocked to find that the copy of Deimos Lander was the 32K version! I don't think it has all the levels I had completed when the project was shelved, but it was close. Searching my backups based on the ROM date I was able to find the source code backed up in a place I wouldn't have thought it would be.

And so, after ten years I can finally give everyone a Christmas present. The 32K version of Deimos Lander!

Now before you get too excited, the game still isn't complete. But it's pretty far along and is highly playable. It works on Stella, RetroPie, and even the AtGames Handheld! Which is pretty cool. Especially for software I never thought I'd see again.

I'm also attaching a ZIP of my toolchain directory. This has the source and everything I used to build it. Note that it's a bit of a mess due to a combination of the Alpha state of BatariBasic and a ton of customizations and specialized tools being created. Since I don't know what tools are active you'll find a bunch of stuff that may not be needed. But everything you need should be there if anyone wants to develop the code further.

Merry Christmas everyone and I hope you enjoy!

deimos.bas.bin

Deimos32K WIP.zip

• Like 8

• 1 year later...

We'll be featuring Deimos Lander LIVE on tomorrow's (Wednesday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Deimos Lander (2017 WIP) by jbanes
- Abyss of Chernobyl (2019 WIP) by Fehér János Zoltán aka MemberAtarian
- Beast (2019 WIP) by Dylldophlo
- Boulder Dash (2012) by Andrew Davie & Thomas Jentzsch

EDIT: Archive Video of Stream

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 4