IGNORED

i Recieved An Apple IIe!

Josh

i Recently Recieved an Apple IIe!

it came With Apple IIe , eme Computer Display , Alot Of diskettes , and Alot Of books and Boxed Games and Stuff

I Really Like It.

I also got 2 Disk drives , One CTI #1 And a Apple Disk ][ #2

i like Playing choplifter and Kareteka Too!

please Post you're questions and Comments

Well, the Apple ][ was the number one 8-bit Computer during the 80s, in the USA.

The ][e (project Diana), basically an Apple ][ with less inside. Also called the 'low cost Apple', it was a great seller and totally Apple ][ compatible.

The Apple ][ had the greatest and biggest software support of any 8-bit machine.

SWScan00023.jpg

16.000 titles and this article is from 1985 EG magazine. Not bad, you'd agree? Commercial software support ran until 1992 (total softs rising to 20.000 approx), even now new products are being written and developed.

Companies were formed because of Apple, it had the first killer-app (Visi-Calc), many games came out on Apple before converted to 'lesser' machines (Prince of Persia, Bards Tale etc)

EA said that during Nintendo rule (NES), only the Apple ][ sales kept them afloat.

There are some excellent websites on Apple ][, here's one: http://apple2history.org/

(Has great info on Apple ][e, here: http://apple2history.org/history/ah07.html)

Try and find the video ' Triumph of the Nerds', it features an excellent history of the two Steves and Apple.

I think the Apple ][ is USAs forgotten 8-bit success, and it's a shame too. It deserves more recognition than the NES for sure.

Edited by thomasholzer

My first computer was a IIe and I really miss it. I remember it had no sound commands, you had to use poke for sound effects, but a guy I ran into in the computers section of the library loaned me a book on advanced Apple II programming and I came up with an awesome sequencer program. After that I would spend hours and hours writing songs with "music videos", a bunch of hi-res cinema sequences - the built in graphics commands sucked too, not even a Circle command - and I'd hook it into my vcr and record them. I really wish I still had those tapes.

My sister had a trs-80 coco 2 and I was jealous; that says everything about the quality of the Apple IIe's graphics, but I still loved it.

I just got a load of Apple ][ stuff myself: three Apple ][e Platinum Edition computers, a pair of ][GS computers, some 5.25 inch and 3.5 inch diskette drives, color and monochrome monitors, and a box full of software and peripherals (including a new set of paddles and sealed copies of every AtariSoft release for the Apple ][). I haven't gotten around to testing it all, but I noticed that some clown cut off the data cables on the diskette drives instead of unscrewing the plugs. :x :x :x Other than that, everything is in surprisingly good physical shape.

One question I have for those who know Apple machines better than I: will Macintosh monitors work with the ][GS? I have a 21" color CRT for the Macintosh and it seems to use the same monitor interface as the ][GS, and I would be totally stoked if they were compatible.

EDIT: Also, does anyone know of a source for 19-pin floppy drive cables?

Edited by jaybird3rd

About every Salvation Army Store in the USA has a whole back room full of Apple II parts, anything you could possibly need for any model. Finding one where they will let you go back into it is another matter, they usally don't like the idea of actually selling the stuff. But if you can get back there, it's always a gold mine.

The Games are Quite nice.

It Came with Theeses Diskettes:

The Game Show / The Grammer Examinar

Time is Money: Trial Size

Fantavision

CPM / Wordstar

ScreenWriter

VisiCalc

Best Of Hardcore Computing: Superlib 1.2 And 1.5

Graphics Libary III

Multiplan (CP/M)

The Wonderful World Of Paws : Demonstrarion Diskette

Wordstar

CP/M

Mind Prober (Demo diskette)

Mayor's Copy Program / Lou's Copy Program

Bank Street Writer

PrintShop:Companion

Print Shop Graphics / Print Shop Grabber

Print ShopPrint Shop Graphics Companion / Companion Borders And Fonts

Print Shop Graphics Libary I

Print Shop Graphics Libary II

Aztec / Tapper

Choplifter , Dig-Dug , Zenith / B.C's Quest for Tires

Speedway Classic / Try This One!

Cannonball , Blitz , FlyWars , Sea wolf / Russ , Duck , Minotaur , Kamikaze , Bee Wars

Galaxy Gates , Outpost , Ceiling Zero , Space Quarks , Genetic Drift / Epoch , Space Eggs , Gross Fire

Choplifter , Dig-dug , Zenith / Karateka

Congo Bongo / Miner 2049er II

Warlord , Soccor , Dung Beetles , Canyon Climber / Moon Patrol , Ms. Pac-Man ,One On One , Road Pizza , Falling Letters , Visi-Sort

Castle wolfenstien / Swashbuckler

Kellent's Copy Program's

Pac-man , Sabotage , Alien Typhoon , Concentration

Construction Pinball Set

Flight Simulater II , Night Grawler , Pegasus II , Concentration / Microwave

Captain Goodnight

Sky Fox

Star Blazer , Star Blaster , Horizon 5 , Nightmare Gallery / Wavy Navy , Repton , Cyclod

Zaxxon / F-15 Strike Eagle

Wavy Navy , Ok Galaxy / Missile Defense , Snapper

Burgertime / Pitfall 2

Odyssey / Ribbit , Gold rush , Alien Invader , Eliminator , Snake Bite

Q-Bert / Jungle Hunt

Tubeways , Gumball / Star Blazer , Star Blaster , Horizon 5 , Nightmare Gallery

Summer Games

ROBOTRON 2084 , Stargate , One on One / Star blazer , Pac-Man , Alien Typhoon , Sabotage

Frogger , Checkers , ABM , Thief ,Apple Panic / Red Alert , Bug Attack , Obitron , Pulsor II

Sticky Bear ABC

ROBOTRON 2084 , Stargate , One on One / Star blazer , Pac-Man , Alien Typhoon , Sabotage

Rescue Raiders / Bruce Lee

Dos Took Kit / Pin-Ball Construction Set

Mario Bros , Spy Hunter / Ghostbusters

Karateka

Programmers Workshop

Rear Guard , Labyrinth , Pac-Man , Creepy Corridoors / Sea Fox , Serpintine , Mars Cars

Ultima III

Lobe Runner / Lady Tut , One On One , Jouster , Pirate II

Gobbler , Space Eggs , Raster Blaster , Head On / Alt , Sabotage , Canyon ,Spys Demise , Ball Blitz , Face

Flight Sim I , Flight Instructor , Star Blazer , Burnout , Bozo's Carnival , Apple Bowl / Spy Hunter

Conan

Pirate / Space Invaders

Spy Hunter , Nightmare Gallery / ScreenWriter

Copy II Plus 6.4

Copy II Plus 6.4 (originol)

Apple Presents... Apple

SuperCalc

Pro-Dos User's Disc

Dos 3.3

Best Of Hardcore Computing

Wordstar , Mailmerge , SpellStar , Index 101

Lou's Copy Program / Mayor's Copy Program

Dbase / Multiplan

Softcard / 44K/60K Ver. 2.23

Apple Piliot "Lesson"

Apple Piliot "Author"

Apple Pascal

Apple Plot / Forth-75

AppleWorks

AppleWriter

Calcstar

Print Shop (BOXED)

Print Shop Campanion (BOXED)

Hello Central: Telecomunications software (BOXED)

Artist Desighner (BOXED)

Sargon III (BOXED)

Buisness Pac 100 (BOXED)

Music Construction Set (BOXED)

The News Room (BOXED)

Time Is Money: Trial Size (BOXED)

Copy II Plus 64

Alina C. Selva Edit 5113, 6930 Avoir/to Have

Blank

Alina Selva Edte 5113 Class Disk Side 1 / Side 2

Blank

Alina C. Selva Copy Mickey Mouse, Morse Avoir,Have to Test

Blank Diskette

Also it came with These Books:

Copy II Plus Book

The Manual: Appleworks

Super Serial card Manual

Fingertips: Desktop Asceory

Beneath Apple DOS

Applemouse II Users Manual

Apple II Super Serial Card Users Manual

ProDOS Supplement to Apple IIe Owner's Manual

ProDOS Users Manual

DOS Programmers Manuel

CP/M User Guide

Apple IIe Owner's Manual

Operating Instructions : Impact Dot Matrix Printer

Apple User's Guide For Apple II+ And IIe

Apple IIe Owners Manuel

Also I am Looking to Buy Apple II 5 1/4 Diskettes? Is anyone here Selling them?

Please Post You're Questions and Comments

Dung Beetles was my favorite spin on pac-man in the 80s. It even talks, if you can understand what it's yelling.

We Gotcha!

Castle Wolfenstein was worse though because it was German. So not only is it loud, staticy, and grabled, but in another language all together!

Tempest

Dung Beetles was my favorite spin on pac-man in the 80s. It even talks, if you can understand what it's yelling.

Green Tashsha! ;)

To the poster that was talking about POKEs for sound, there was something called a Mockingboard, which I never owned but supposedly really improved the sound abilities of the apple ][ computers.

Great score on the ][e. I want a ][e also (but have a //c and ][+).

~telengard

I remember seeing the Apple II's when I (voluntarily) went to summer school in high school. The only game I remember playing on it was called, "Bouncing Kamungas" or something. It was pretty cool... *BUT* I was captivated by the fact that they had several ATARI 1040ST's in the class! I stayed after everyday playing Dungeon Master... :lust:

One question I have for those who know Apple machines better than I: will Macintosh monitors work with the ][GS? I have a 21" color CRT for the Macintosh and it seems to use the same monitor interface as the ][GS, and I would be totally stoked if they were compatible.

The IIGS Dsub-15 pinout I believe should be the same as the Dsub-15 on the classic era Macs (LC,Performa,Quadra, etc). The only restriction should be the minimum scan rate on the monitor in question. It will need to support 15Khz HSYNC to be used with a IIGS.

The IIGS can also be wired up to C1084s. Which is what I use :)

I've got a whole lot of floppies and some 2,500-2,600 odd disk images for the II series (many of which I can use right on the real hardware with the very cool SVD interface :cool: )

To the poster that was talking about POKEs for sound, there was something called a Mockingboard, which I never owned but supposedly really improved the sound abilities of the apple ][ computers.

The Mockingboard made a HUGE difference in sound quality for those titles that supported it. AII sound overall was quite awful ;)

Edited by remowilliams

The IIGS Dsub-15 pinout I believe should be the same as the Dsub-15 on the classic era Macs (LC,Performa,Quadra, etc). The only restriction should be the minimum scan rate on the monitor in question. It will need to support 15Khz HSYNC to be used with a IIGS.

The IIGS can also be wired up to C1084s. Which is what I use :)

I've got a whole lot of floppies and some 2,500-2,600 odd disk images for the II series (many of which I can use right on the real hardware with the very cool SVD interface :cool: )

The Mockingboard made a HUGE difference in sound quality for those titles that supported it. AII sound overall was quite awful ;)

Heh, I actually like the sound coming out of the ][ speaker but I'm probably weird or something. I *really* like the "crowd" noise on One on One. Pretty much white noise, heh. Karateka sounds great though that thing too. I think it may have more to do with bringing back memories than sound quality lol.

You have one of those SVDs eh? I've been talking over email with the creator and am contemplating getting one. I assume since you are using it w/ the Apple you got the dongle also. So how does it work on the A2? I also own a TI and Coco and would want to use it on those too. :)

~telengard

Heh, I actually like the sound coming out of the ][ speaker but I'm probably weird or something. I *really* like the "crowd" noise on One on One. Pretty much white noise, heh. Karateka sounds great though that thing too. I think it may have more to do with bringing back memories than sound quality lol.

Well, I won't deny that it has a certain charm, but I'm an Atari guy and I had much better sound :D

You have one of those SVDs eh? I've been talking over email with the creator and am contemplating getting one. I assume since you are using it w/ the Apple you got the dongle also. So how does it work on the A2? I also own a TI and Coco and would want to use it on those too. :)

Sure - but do you have a Caldor TI? Hmm?? :P :lol:

The SVD is a great piece of work and Eric is a real good guy. I do have the AII adapter, and I scavenged a spare Unidisk cable so I can hook the SVD directly to my IIc or IIgs. It works like a real charm, but does have a few drawbacks. The big one is onboard memory size (256K) - depending on the system you use it with the maximum # of concurrent images may be only one. On the TI the disk operation speed is slower than a real floppy mech due to sector interleave not currently being supported (Eric told me he'd add this when time permits).

But on the plus side it can emulate more than one drive at once (the led dance looks neat :)), supports the AII .nib format (how cool is that!) and I can play Tunnels of Doom on floppy - without the floppy! :D Just an external floppy cable connected to my PEB. Soooo sweet.

Well, I won't deny that it has a certain charm, but I'm an Atari guy and I had much better sound :D

Hehe, I was an Atari guy too, but was always envious of the C64's sound over the Atari. Ultima III sounds beautiful on the C64 (not the Atari is a slouch in this dept, also have yet to fire it up in Applewin w/ the Mockingboard version or is that U4, sorry I digress). My brother got one eventually. I used an Apple ][ at our local library. You had to pay $.50/hr to use it back in 1980 or so. :) Had one of those laundromat coin things if my memory serves me right. Weird...

Sure - but do you have a Caldor TI? Hmm?? :P :lol:

The SVD is a great piece of work and Eric is a real good guy. I do have the AII adapter, and I scavenged a spare Unidisk cable so I can hook the SVD directly to my IIc or IIgs. It works like a real charm, but does have a few drawbacks. The big one is onboard memory size (256K) - depending on the system you use it with the maximum # of concurrent images may be only one. On the TI the disk operation speed is slower than a real floppy mech due to sector interleave not currently being supported (Eric told me he'd add this when time permits).

But on the plus side it can emulate more than one drive at once (the led dance looks neat :)), supports the AII .nib format (how cool is that!) and I can play Tunnels of Doom on floppy - without the floppy! :D Just an external floppy cable connected to my PEB. Soooo sweet.

Hehe, no Caldor TI. :( :(

Only Caldor TI memories. And a pic somewhere on here of the fabled Caldor TI. :) :D

Sounds like the SVD would work well. Speed wouldn't bug me, it's more the ability to use disk images that I store on my PC. That is a big convienece. I was thinking I should wait for SVD II but who knows when that might come out. Can it actually handle writes too? i.e. game saves etc? If I can read/write disk images from the A2/GS, Coco, and TI that would pretty much allow me to use all of my old computers w/ disk images (I have SIO2PC and X1541 for those others).

I'm also wondering if my controller for the TI would work with this, I have a CorComp 9900 Micro Expansion. I'm also worried that someday my floppy controllers might not work. But that's just my usual paranoia. :) Makes you appreciate the "all in one" designs of the 810/1050/1541/etc.

You still using your gp2x??

~telengard (sorry for going a little OT)

Would it Be Possible to (I Have a 5 1/4 Drive For PC) Use A 5 1/4 Drive and a Blank 5 1/4 Diskette And Burn On to The diskette Using My computer Using The Apple II Roms I Have?

Edited by Josh

Hehe, I was an Atari guy too, but was always envious of the C64's sound over the Atari. Ultima III sounds beautiful on the C64 (not the Atari is a slouch in this dept, also have yet to fire it up in Applewin w/ the Mockingboard version or is that U4, sorry I digress).

Personally, I find that the Mockingboard tunes for Ultima III, IV and V are much better than the POKEY, SID or Paula tunes for the Atari and Commodore ports when applicable. Ken Arnold, who composed all but one tune, wrote and tested the music for an Apple IIe with one to two Mockingboards. The ports had to convert music that was made for the Mockingboard, and considering the quality of the various ports its a wonder the music turned out as well as it did. Still, the music really doesn't work to the strengths of the internal chips. Remember that the Mockingboard used one or two AY-3-8910 chips, each of which housed three square wave generators with independent volume control. For Ultima III, which only took advantage of one AY chip, or Ultima IV, which could use a second AY chip, that was it. Only Ultima V used the noise and envelope generators of the AY chip, and it could use up to four AY chips.

As for the Commodore 64, I would like to point that there is a marked difference between the sound of a square wave and a sawtooth wave. The Atari 8-bit music of Ultima III could clearly have benefited from more voices. The Atari ST music for all three Ultimas sounds quite good, but just remember the ST has only the equilavent of one AY chip. Its been quite a while since I sampled the Amiga music, but I don't recall being impressed.

Edited by Great Hierophant