IGNORED

Your Favorite and Least

Inky

If you could choose one (oh no, not another best/worst list ) Favorite and one least favorite Coin Op game what would it be?

Favorite would be Buck Rogers and the Planet of Zoom. I spent many a quarter on this thjing "back in the day" and still consider it a fine game. I just wish it was emulated..

Least favorite? Mortal Combat. I have tried to play this game over 20 times and only once did I ever make it past the first guy. In fact, that time I made it to the third. Then some moron put a token in the machine, killed me, and kept on playing. Never played the game since.

Choose just one? Ugh! The game I probably pumped the most money into was Robotron: 2084 and it's certainly quite high on my list of "Must Have" arcade games someday. But there are so many other games that I really enjoyed that it's really tough just choosing one favorite. However, I bet I can more easily choose a least favorite. Hmmmm.

Can I pick a whole genre of games? I can't stand fighting games, so as a whole those are my least favorite. I'm sure that will be blasphemy to some of you here...

..Al

I have to agree with Dan. I loved the Star Wars sitdown version. It would be so cool if I could find an arcade somewhere that still had a working model.

I don't know about a least favorite game since I don't stick around with games if I don't enjoy them right from the start. Therefore, I can only remember games that I liked to play like Space Ace, Dragon's Lair, US vs Them, Punch Out, Thayer's Quest, Ms.Pac-Man, Super Pac Man, Marble Madness, Gauntlet....quick somebody stop me!

There are so many great games that I could be here for hours just listing them all.

I'll goto the easy one first.

Least liked arcade game: Any Fighting game!

Why?? Not sure, maybe it's a generation gap thing....

My favorite....only way to tell would be to count all the quarters I spent...

mmmmmmm ahhhhhh now I know!!!!

Asteroids!!!

I remember spending all my money from my paper route on that game!!!!

I was 13 or 14 years old..in about 1980ish...

It's funny the corner store where is was in isn't even there any more, lost it to a fire...

After that it must be these guys: Super Pac Man, Zaxxon, Marble Madness, Gravitar, Robotron... Gezz i know there's more...

I plyed all these in a little arcade on the way to school... they opened early...it was a little arcade in the back of a mom and pop store.. loved that place...ohhh Defender was another one...

Now all you see mostly in arcades nowadays is fighters and driving games... they look and play awsome... but i wish the arcades had more of a selection of original games...

goto go watch new Reboot again!! i taped it!!

Star Wars - stand up or sit down ive played both

Popeye/donkey kong/donkey kong jr.- well only because you could lift the plastic screen up and out towards you a bit and reach down and hit the Credits button to 99guys

And worst i would have to agree Albert about the fighting games i cant stand them

One thing I've noticed is that there are some games that I loved in the arcade, but now when I play them on MAME, I can't believe some of the trash I liked, and some of the games I passed up then that I find enthralling now.

One I used to love in the arcade was Arabian, but now I'm like "I LIKED that tripe?"

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

Best: Cloak & Dagger with Major Havoc running a close second

I have never seen a Cloak & Dagger arcade game nor have I played the game. I didn't even realize it was a conversion from a Williams' cabinet until I read the entry at KLOV (the link I provided). Guess that's another one I need to try in MAME someday. Time to build a MAME cabinet.

..Al

Pac-Man. This is the game that introduced me to video games and computers when I was in kindergarten back in 1982.

That game means so much to me that I'm going to buy my own Pac-Man arcade cabinet for my living room.

Least favorite arcade game? Where do I start? It would have to be Centipede/Millipede. I don't know why, but I've never been able to get into these bug-blasting games.

In the day, I loved the sit down FireTruck game. Would love to find one now.

Nowadays, Galaga or a fast Ms. Pac is still a favorite to play.

The trick is to get a friend to buy the machine you restore, and then you can play it AND get your money out of it.

Worst game (dedicated) I would say is Xevious. I would rather eat bugs than play that. Gave mine to the school to auction at a fund raiser. Worth more to me in a tax write off.

Worst conversion is anything after about 90 that was a fighter. There is no skill in pounding buttons.

Cassidy

I'd have to say that my favorite stand-up of all time is Pac-man. Yeah, I know..."Just learn the pattern and you can play all day. Where's the challenge?" I just love the game play and concept (even though you eat the ghosts it's non-violent). I had an opportunity to pick one up in near mint condition so now my children can enjoy the stand-up just like Daddy did in '82.

Hmm, it'd have to be one of Star Wars (stand-up version, that MDF box never spoke 'X-Wing' to me) for Chase HQ (god alone knows why - idea over execution I guess).

Mind, Buck Rogers and Disks of Tron have gotta get mention for the great arcade experience provided by the cabinet and controller.

And Space Invaders and Defender for sound!

Come to think of it, why hasn't anyone released a Star Wars controller for any console yet??

oops. forgot the worst one!

well, where to start??

Operation Wolf or Commando.

They started a downhill trend.

Plus anything modern except for Crazy Taxi (which as far as I'm concerned is the logical progression of paperboy)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, it's a really hard choice... I don't think I can actually choose a favorite, and my mind switches them back and forth all the time, but here's some of the best:

Berzerk

Battlezone

Rampage

Major Havoc

Fixeight (Yes, this one is uncommon)

Moon Patrol

WWF Wrestlefest

I also have to say that I was never a very huge fan of Mortal Kombat either... I did enjoy Street Fighter 2, but MK just seemed like a crappy knock off with gore as it's major hook to draw in quarters... hell, the characters all have the same moves except for their 2 special moves... what's with that?

--Zero

I love best/worst lists. Anyway, if you're going to bring 300 lbs of fun home in the form of a coin-op, for my space and money it has to be a color vector game. While I would love a Space Duel or Major Havoc, I would have to go with the one I already own, Black Widow.

The funny thing is, kids from my neighborhood come over and would rather play that then the Dreamcast or PS2. That machine is older than most of the kids.

EMR