IGNORED

Infogrames Taking Credit For Atari Arcade Classics!!

Gregory DG

quote:

-^Cro§Bow^-

- What I can't figure out is, why they are doing this? Infograme bought the Atari name and logo to better get them recognized on the market. And they are using the Fuji, and Atari logo on their new games and in the comercials. But if they feel that removing this information from the classic arcades is helping them, then they are wrong. Because I feel that they would get much better press if they left the Fuji and Atari name to the classics and simply added to the copyright with their name and or logo of Infograme below that.

They are doing this so consumers only think Atari is a software company owned by infrogames, they dont want people knowing the horrible and wonderful past of Atari.

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: marialover ]

Marialover:

That is my whole point. It would appear that the old Classic arcade games such as Centipede, Asteroids, Joust..etc are making somewhat of a comeback. If that is true and these old skool games are indeed bringing quarters back into the arcades..then they (Infograme) should want to put the Fuji and Atari name to the games. That would actually help establish Infograme as being a Pioneer in the arcade industry (Even thoug they aren't of course).

Basically part of what made Atari wonderful was the new and inovative ideas behind their early arcade games. That idea cannot be brought over to just software successfully without the rest coming with it.

Marketing wise, it would be wisest for Infograme to actually keep the Fuji and Atari name on the arcade machines, and simply place the Infograme name at the end. That way when a kid watches one of their commercials for a new gamecube or PS2 game, he will say...Oh!..Yeah!..those guys!!..they are the same ones that made that old arcade game with the ship blowing up all the rocks...or that other one where you fly on that big bird and try and take out all the other birds on the screen. Wow!..they did that back then...they should be awesome now!!

I just feel that the Infograme could use the Atari Logo and name on the old rereleased arcade cabinets and still keep the image of the Atari success without the Atari nastiness...

just my .0002 cents worth.

quote:

Originally posted by -^Cro§Bow^-:

I just feel that the Infograme could use the Atari Logo and name on the old rereleased arcade cabinets and still keep the image of the Atari success without the Atari nastiness...

But the rights to the Atari name and logo for arcade usage still belong to Atari Games which still belongs to Midway. And since Midway felt the need to change the name of their Atari Games devision to Midway West when Hasbro reanimated the Atari name for their computer games, Midway probably wouldn't be too open for suggestions by Infogrames. And I don't think they could have used a 2001 copyright on the rereleased arcade games, like someone in a post further up suggested, as that might have been a risk for some of their copyright claims.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

in deed if atari coin ups is coming back then infogames SHOULD use the atari logo and name cause it will draw in the 30 yr olds who had atari from their child hoods. ( gennerally who we have here). if that generation shows this generation how good it is and if it does a fad of atari again. I still think atari (infogames) can make another system but like sega and nintedo make games like they are for other systems to get established

quote:

Originally posted by AtariKee:

In NO way was Hasbro able to, nor Infogrammes able to, capture the true magic that was Atari. In my mind, Atari died in 1984 when the Tramiels bought out, bastardized, then ruined the company. Atari Games lived on with the legends of game design, but somehow it wasn't the same.

So these lame-os can plaster as many logos on their crappy me-too console garbage and call it Atari all they want, but it never WILL be the true Atari.

Atari is dead. Long live Atari!

I can't agree with this...sorry. My perspective: While I agree that the ORIGINAL Atari did indeed die, It was when Nolan Bushnell sold out to Warner, not when Warner sold out to the Tramiel's in '84. That aside, While I did in fact own pre-Tramiel (Atari Corp.) Atari products, I personally did not become an Atari fanatic until AFTER the sale to the Tramiels and I bought my first Atari Computer; the 130XE. While the basic technology is pre-Tramiel anyway (800/800XL), It was the 130XE that made me the Atari fanatic that I am today, along with the Lynx and Jaguar that followed. Those three happen to be my favorites out of all the Atari products I own and while the Tramiel's did screw up Atari in a lot of ways (especially marketint and distribution), if it weren't for them, I'd have been an Apple fanatic and God only knows what on the console side. So, The Atari I know and love died in '96, not '84 or even earlier. I may have turned to Atari anyway, if it had continued on in Warner's hands, I may have bought into the XL line or whatever computer they would have brought out next, but I'll never know now...all I know is I was sizing up Apple IIc's and IIe's when I went with my 130XE (Power without the price!!!). Since then I have owned/ do own 800/800XL/2600/5200/7800/130xe/Lynx/Jaguar/Jagcd/C-380/Pong so far...LONG LIVE ATARI'S MEMORY!!!(even under Tramiel management-don't blame the hardware).

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

The mystery is almost solved. I managed to track down where the actuall coin-op is being manufactured (Jamma kit, being manufactured by a company related to Infogrames but not Infogrames it self).

Just finishing some interviews and final fact checking and I'll be able to put up the full info.

quote:

Originally posted by Marty Goldberg:

The mystery is almost solved. I managed to track down where the actuall coin-op is being manufactured (Jamma kit, being manufactured by a company related to Infogrames but not Infogrames it self).

I look forward to reading your article as well. It's odd that Infogrames would be using their name on these old games, since they're trying to revive the Atari brand. This revisionist history isn't going to help them in that regard, and only serves to piss off those who do remember the old games.

Did they change the copyrights in the game as well? I just re-read this thread and didnt' see any mention that the games were changed, just that the cabinet had Infograme's name on it and that Atari was nowhere to be found. But these three games had Atari copyrights in the games themselves, so I'm curious if they went through the trouble to modify them as well.

..Al

Ok, this thing is expanding in to an even bigger story than I expected (with lots of related side tracks) so it's going to take a little longer.

Bottom line though - the coinop is being manufactured by Team Play Inc. out of Elk Grove Village, Illinois. It was produced through cooperation with Midway, not Infogrames. Supposedly Team Play actually modified the roms to say ©Midway in their version and added the ©Infogrames on the marquee on their own (it was not coordinated with Infogrames) to cover themselves I guess.

Why cover themselves? Who owns certain key pre '84 properties is still in question.

Why no Atari logo or name on their release? Because they don't have the rights to it.

That's where this thing sidetracks and I'm uncovering important info. There is going to be a seperate European release of the 3 in 1 by Infogrames (through a subsidiary). That's right, there will be a coin-op connection (though this one was not it). How can they get away with it? Major loophole. I can't go in to a lot more yet, but I'm basicly getting to the bottom of a lot of the questions people here had, and to what Infogrames actually has planned for the future of the Atari name.

I promised my contact I wouldn't talk about details until I cleared specifics with him (and frankly, there's just to many other related things that I'm still working to clear up). All I can say is that Infogrames plans on seriously building up Atari to what it was pre-84, beyond just a marketing name.

More to come soon. I'll probably put up an article summerizing the whole thing over at cg.com when the time comes. And the rest you might have to wait for until I'm done with my Atari book.

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: Marty Goldberg ]

Do you remeber who got the credit in the program? (On the Screen)

I didn't think to look at the screen for the copyrights and all (or I don't remember.) I was in a bit of a rush.

I just remember looking for the Atari logo and seeing that %$#@! Infograms copyright instead and thinking, "That ain't right."

quote:

Originally posted by Greg @ TAT:

I didn't think to look at the screen for the copyrights and all (or I don't remember.) I was in a bit of a rush.

I just remember looking for the Atari logo and seeing that %$#@! Infograms copyright instead and thinking, "That ain't right."

Haha! No kidding, I would have been thinking the same thing. Has anyone else seen one of these machines? I really hope they wouldn't have gone through the trouble to change the actual binary images, but this would not surprise me. Although, given Infogrames desire to "revive" the Atari name, you think they'd at least leave the Atari name and logo on the cabinet. There's no reason they could have an Infogrames copyright along with the Atari name/logo.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

Although, given Infogrames desire to "revive" the Atari name, you think they'd at least leave the Atari name and logo on the cabinet. There's no reason they could have an Infogrames copyright along with the Atari name/logo.

..Al

The official Infogrames realease will have the Atari logo and name. The one everyone has been seeing was not done through Infogrames, the company mentioned previously just threw the infogrames name on there to cover themselves.

quote:

Originally posted by Marty Goldberg:

The official Infogrames realease will have the Atari logo and name. The one everyone has been seeing was not done through Infogrames, the company mentioned previously just threw the infogrames name on there to cover themselves.

This is interesting. Do you mean that these games were not sanctioned by Infogrames? If that's the case, they're lucky they're not getting sued to oblivion.

..Al

Theres a big feature on 'new' Atari in terrible, misinformed (but somehow respected) UK magazine 'The Edge'.

They did a run down of up and coming Atarigrammes titles, one of which was Unreal 2. Now, fair enough - good game and all, but Atari? Doesn't quite scan.

I honestly don't think it'll ever be treated as anything but a 'name'. Infogrammes, I feel, are going to be really dissapointed with the way the new Atari is recieved. You and I know the glorious history of the Brand, but to the average Joe, Atari is, and always will be, a cheap low-quality PC label.

Hasbro did the damage, and from what I've read, Infogrammes don't know nearly enough about what they've bought to turn it around.

Atari (as we know it) aint coming back, but we love it and maybe its better that way.

Oh yeah, UK collectors, Edge also did a feature on classic consoles - they priced the 2600 at £50, the Spectrum 48k at £80, Vectrex at £200 and the Neo Geo at £1000!!

So, on the strength of that, be prepared to be screwed for cash for any classic stuff you buy over the coming months- thanks a lot Edge (muppets)

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

This is interesting. Do you mean that these games were not sanctioned by Infogrames? If that's the case, they're lucky they're not getting sued to oblivion.

..Al

They were sanctioned by Midway. Midway has the rights to license Atari arcade properties (though not under the Atari name). There also are still some questions on who own's the ultimate trademark to certain well known games so that's probably why they put the Infogrames name on the marquee. Infogrames itself did not become involved with this 3 in 1 until late, and as such their European version of the 3 in 1 will have cosmetic differences. And my understanding is any future releases will have the Atari name and logo prominently displayed.

Oh, for goodness sake, why doesn't Infogrames just buy Midway or somebody else buy them both? (I know Midway can't buy anyone.)

I'm getting sick and tired of trying to keep track of who owns what.

If East and West Germany can get back together why not the two Ataris?

This swamp is a monument to death. Snakes, alligators, quicksand... all bent on one thing: destruction.

• 8 months later...
Went to Disney-MGM tonight (mainly to ride the Aerosmith rollercoaster... Fun, but too short.)

Anyway, I went into the arcade (Pizza Planet) and saw a way cool 3-in-1 arcade unit that had Centipede, Millipede, and Missile Command in it. Nowhere on the cabinet did I see the Atari logo or even the WORD Atari on it. You know what I saw instead?

© 1982 Infogrames Interactive

Now, WTF is all this about?????

That is really annoying.. A quick web search (I mean VERY quick one)..

Infogrames website, click on history.. "Infogrames was founded in 1983" Hmm yet they release games before they were founded? odd that..

Bugs the crap outta me. Be nice to win wads of cash (maybee mug Bill Gates :) ) and buy the name, and hold it until you could do something noble with it... Call forth the warriors of Atari! It is time we seek out our Grail! :)