IGNORED

Just cut a deal with a guy for a cab game!

VidGameKing

this guy who lives accross the bay wants to sell me this working cab. it has like nba jam or somthing like that... the cool part is it has two screens and four joysticks! it's a doubble wide! and it has jamma! the coolest part about all of it, i'm gonna get it for $50usd. thats it that all I'm gonna pay I feel like I've made a good deal. what do you guys think?

It sounds like you just got yourself a copy of Run N Gun. While it isn't a great game, it isn't a bad deal at all. I just got back from an arcade auction where that game sold for $125.00 and only 1/2 of it was working. Yours should be worth around $200.

I just got a deal myself too. A supposedly dead Bad Dudes cabinent for $5.00. The only thing that seems to be wrong with it is that someone disconnected the power supply, as the board already works in my other cab. I'm _extremely_ giddy.

And I have to work in like 5 hours, so I better calm down and get to bed... :-(

Update! Just got it home and plugged it in, it appears that the guy wired it so the sam immage is displayed on two screens, that way there is more room for the four players. Half of the buttons dont work, the outside need tons of new wood. The insides are VERY clean! Which is not what I expected. it's nice because it comes with these sid poasters of the NBA logo, like on the sides of the one on that link above, the thing is, he never pu them on, so when I'm done restoring it compleatly I'll put them on. I'm gonna start a new topic string detailing my days work and any questions I have, later I'll copy the string and put it on a web page.

So Dan are the stories that I hear true that Chuck E Cheese's policy with old arcade games was to demolish them rather than put them in the hands of the aftermarket or collectors?

Um... yes. I have personally been involved in destroying two Whac-A-Munches, a Tin-Can Alley (although there was no in in their right mind would would've wanted that), two Fielders choices and some other stuff. Those didn't hurt nearly as much as when I had to see the X-Men and Simpsons JAMMA games get smashed.

*sigh*

ok. I've talked with the guy some more and he says that it's"NBA JAM" the cabeint is from the old game CYBER-BALL. It's got a Jamma+ hook-up so I can use it for jamma-2-PC which is what I plan on doing. what do you guys think?

Personally, I'm of the mindset that PC or MAME cabs are stupid. Most good games don't cost too much money, and you can easily drop in any game you want. Since you did get a previously converted cabinent though, it is better than cutting up a nice looking classic cabinent like I've seen some do to Ms. Pac-Man's, Asteriods and others...

This may be a little off topic, but they have one of those double-screen Run and Gun games at Funspot in Weirs Beach, NH.

The thing I noticed is that they also have a single screen version of the game, but the double screen version runs at half the frame rate!! It's almost as if the processor is being overburdened by the extra display. The single screen version runs smoothly...about 30-60 fps consistently while the dual screen stutters noticeably!

I've never seen an arcade game do this. Has anyone else noticed this? Oh, this is a Run and Gun 1 game, not the sequel!

quote:

Originally posted by marialover:

ok. I've talked with the guy some more and he says that it's
the cabeint is from the old game
. It's got a Jamma+ hook-up so I can use it for jamma-2-PC which is what I plan on doing. what do you guys think?

Sounds like a good idea, if you have the room for such a large cabinet in your house or apartment.

What do they gain by smashing them up?

As far as I can guess, it would be so that they do not have a competitor purchase the game through an auction or whatnot and then use it against them.

I don't agree with it, but then again I don't agree with almost anyone in the corporate CEC system.

Back before our store turned into a corporate store, the owner used to sell games to employees cheap. One of my friends bought a flawless Ms. Pac-Man cocktail for $25.00 from him. Unfortunately, I never had the chance...

um, Guys the Cabenit has so much water dammage that to fix it up would mean that i would have to replace every outside wood surface, the control panel's frame is still wet! If I'm gonna go through the hassel of re-building somthing so ugly and big I might as well build my own. using my own specifications. I'll just gut this cabenit and put the guts into the other. One monitor works the other has a cracked PCB board thingy on the end. DOA. The game it self runs great so for $50 did I get a good deal for just the parts and not the cabenit?

I'll just gut this cabenit and put the guts into the other. One monitor works the other has a cracked PCB board thingy on the end. DOA. The game it self runs great so for $50 did I get a good deal for just the parts and not the cabenit?

If the monitor works and is in good condition, you got a hell of a deal. Your average working monitor that is in good condition costs $270-$300.00.

The game is worth around $20-$30.

Unfortunately, if you don't have an easy cab to put everything into, it might not have been a great deal as it isn't easy to make yourself a good cab. If you are up for the challenge though, working on an arcade game is great fun!

Whatever you do _DO NOT_ touch the suction-cup-looking-thing on the monitor. There is a large amount of electricity stored in the monitor, and you can actually kill yourself by touching it.

I used to paly with old TVs why back when i was alittle kid, i used to have fun by grounding ot that connector and watching it split those tiny philips head screwdrivers in half! But yeah not only that It would also fry the controll boards so, dieing is not as major as killing a peice of hardware!

• 3 weeks later...

Interested in why you are against an emulator. I have been working this last week on a Multi-Star Wars machine. 19 inch SVGA tube running a 900 Mhz Celeron machine behind it. I have 2 gigs worth of games; from SW, ESB, ROTJ (impossible to play in the same cabinet, although the SW cab does rock compared to the Jedi one!), and others like Spy Hunter, etc....you get the idea

Bottom line on the cabinet selection, when it is complete, it will look, feel, act and be safer than an original. I chose this method because I had a nice SW cab, and was not going to invest the money in tempermental old vector stuff for it. I know it is not the REAL thing(I have a real SW cockpit) but this one should be cool too in its own regards.

Cassidy