IGNORED

Cool Concept.......

Dragnerok X

Hi everyone,

I've been working on trying to develop a way to turn the atari into a computer,

without hijacking the hardware, using Bb. I'm not saying what I've

done thus far is amazing per-say, but it sort of resembles the windows

desktop look and feel. I'd like your opinion(s) on what I could do to improve it.

I've attached the .bin file right here. Thx.

Atari_OS_v1.0.bin

Edited by Dragnerok X

It would be a lot of work just to turn the 2600 into a pocket calculator using bB, so I'm curious how this would turn into something useful.

I think at best you have an interesting idea for a cute menu system on a multicart, and even then i'd rather just up/down thru selections instead of having to 'point' at them.

Nice idea, but not really practical or possible. Now please prove me wrong.

Well, first of all, this is not finished yet. Second of all THE way i will do this is there will be icons in the folder you would click on one of them, it would clear all the settings/screen and branch to the program, and when your finished you would press a button (select, for example) and branch back to the desktop. You may be wondering how/where I would get my icons and that would be I'd re-use the computer/closebox for them because of the difference in scanlines. You also may be wondering what i/o capabilities this may have. Well, i'm thinking about translating this to dasm and using the controller port for a peripheral/disk drive interface.

Any ideas? I need some help here.

Edited by Dragnerok X

I'm still open to ideas and I'd also like to post the source code.

1 x = 95 : y = 50 : AUDV0 = 10 : AUDC0 = 12 : AUDF0 = 7 : AUDV1 = 10 : AUDC1 = 12 : AUDF1 = 7 : c = 4 : d = 0 : e = 1

2 pfhline 0 1 31 off

3 pfhline 0 8 31 off

4 pfvline 0 1 7 off

5 pfvline 31 1 7 off

6 if !switchbw then set tv ntsc

7 if switchbw then set tv pal

8 if !switchleftb && !switchrightb then a = 132

9 if switchleftb && !switchrightb then a = 66

10 if !switchleftb && switchrightb then a = 194

11 if switchleftb && switchrightb then a = 54

12 COLUBK = a : CTRLPF = $11 : scorecolor = a : COLUP0 = 14: COLUP1 = a : ballx = x :

bally = y : ballheight = 2 : player0x = 20 : player0y = 15 : COLUPF = 14

13 player0:

%00111100

%00011000

%11111111

%10000001

%10000001

%10000001

%10000001

%11111111

end

14 player1:

%00000000

%01000010

%00100100

%00011000

%00011000

%00100100

%01000010

%00000000

end

15 c = c - 1

16 if c = 0 then goto 36

17 drawscreen

18 if switchreset && e = 0 then goto 1

19 if collision(ball, player0) && joy0fire && d = 0 then goto 27

20 if collision(ball, player1) && joy0fire && d = 1 then goto 38

21 if joy0up && y > 3 then y = y - 1

22 if joy0down && y < 87 then y = y + 1

23 if joy0left && x > 16 then x = x - 1

24 if joy0right && x < 174 then x = x + 1

25 if !switchreset then e = 0

26 goto 6

27 d = 1

28 player1x = 151 : player1y = 16

29 pfhline 0 1 31 on

30 pfhline 0 8 31 on

31 pfvline 0 1 7 on

32 pfvline 31 1 7 on

33 AUDV0 = 10 : AUDC0 = 12 : AUDF0 = 4 : AUDV1 = 10 : AUDC1 = 12 : AUDF1 = 4

34 c = 2

35 goto 6

36 AUDV0 = 0 : AUDV1 = 0

37 goto 17

38 d = 0

39 player1x = 0 : player1y = 0

40 pfhline 0 1 31 off

41 pfhline 0 8 31 off

42 pfvline 0 1 7 off

43 pfvline 31 1 7 off

44 AUDV0 = 10 : AUDC0 = 12 : AUDF0 = 6 : AUDV1 = 10 : AUDC1 = 12 : AUDF1 = 6

45 c = 2

46 goto 6

You can see sort of where I'm going with this........

Too funny! Very whimsical which I like.

I did a fully functional, very complete GUI desktop for the Commodore 64 (before anyone else did I'm quite sure). This brings me back... The biggest 8-bit application I'd ever written.

I've been working on trying to develop a way to turn the atari into a computer,

without hijacking the hardware, using Bb.

How about using Warren Robinett's Basic? While it may not exactly be practical, it is pretty da?ned impressive.

Using the basic programming cart? That's all I've heard he made. Are you saying I should include it in the OS or what. Sorry, i'm kind of new to this....... :? :? :?

Using the basic programming cart? That's all I've heard he made. Are you saying I should include it in the OS or what. Sorry, i'm kind of new to this....... :? :? :?

The BASIC PROGRAMMING cart is actually quite an impressive piece of work. The 64-byte limit severely constrains its usability, but it does make the 2600 into a computer that is capable of running simple programs. It even offers Codeview-style debugging facilities and moving/resizing windows--innovations that appeared on the 2600 years before appearing on any other microcomputer platform I know of.

IMHO, the concept of turning a 2600 into a computer has already been done. A scientific calculator, on the other hand, might be an interesting challenge (back in the day, a scientific-calculator cart might have been practical and useful).

The BASIC PROGRAMMING cart is actually quite an impressive piece of work. The 64-byte limit severely constrains its usability, but it does make the 2600 into a computer that is capable of running simple programs. It even offers Codeview-style debugging facilities and moving/resizing windows--innovations that appeared on the 2600 years before appearing on any other microcomputer platform I know of.

IMHO, the concept of turning a 2600 into a computer has already been done. A scientific calculator, on the other hand, might be an interesting challenge (back in the day, a scientific-calculator cart might have been practical and useful).

I already know it has been done (yes, most notably the basic programming cart and don't forget the compumate) but that isn't keeping me from doing it! :grin:

I already know it has been done (yes, most notably the basic programming cart and don't forget the compumate) but that isn't keeping me from doing it! :grin:

I just wrote a basic calculator utility for fun:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=90014

If anyone wants to improve on it, go right ahead...

I just wrote a basic calculator utility for fun:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=90014

If anyone wants to improve on it, go right ahead...

Sweet, batari! How'd you get so many sprites on that? Asm?

Nahh... There's just two sprites. They are set for double-width (NUSIZx=5), and 32 units high.