IGNORED

Space Battle Update

Dave Neuman

I compiled four Boss Movement test versions.

You still have to go thru landing sequence but only three enemies appear in Armada to destroy.

Each test has four different Boss movements on levels 1 thru 4.

Which one do you like?

BossTest100.bin

BossTest101.bin

BossTest110.bin

BossTest010.bin

Thanks,

Dave

I compiled four Boss Movement test versions.

You still have to go thru landing sequence but only three enemies appear in Armada to destroy.

Each test has four different Boss movements on levels 1 thru 4.

Which one do you like?

BossTest 101. :thumbsup:

Bombs should not drop at beginning of a level until you hit an enemy. Maybe fuel was almost gone after landing and ship exploded within a second or two on Armada Screen? :ponder:

Nope. It happened with plenty of fuel. As I was testing the boss variations, I had it happen on a boss level, too. What seems to be happening is, the game will drop a bomb from the lowest level, even if there is no enemy ship there. It drops it from such a low level, it almost looks like your ship is just exploding on its own. It seems to happen most often on their first shot at you.

Edited by Nathan Strum

Another suggestion, as I'm going through the manual, I noticed you have it so you press up to thrust when landing, and also to activate the shields durring battle.

I think it'd be better to have it so you pulled back (down) to activate the shields. For some reason (perhaps because Phoenix uses this) it feels more natural. Since I'm used to pressing up for landing, I never associate that action with the shields, so I almost never use them.

Another suggestion, as I'm going through the manual, I noticed you have it so you press up to thrust when landing, and also to activate the shields durring battle.

I think it'd be better to have it so you pulled back (down) to activate the shields. For some reason (perhaps because Phoenix uses this) it feels more natural. Since I'm used to pressing up for landing, I never associate that action with the shields, so I almost never use them.

Boss Test 101 patterns in this build and shields can be activated by pulling back or pushing forward. :)

SpaceBattleFinal129PM.bin

Looking good! I find myself using guided missiles more as the game gets harder. :) But it's playing great! I like the addition of having the landing platform change directions, too.

A couple of notes: the number of hits for the bosses resets after you get up to eleven. So you revert back to eight, then nine, etc., and continues this cycle. I think once it gets to eleven, it should stay there.

Also, regarding the 'instant death' bug, I've seen something else happening which may be related. Sometimes on the first enemy shot, they'll send down a shot that's multiplexed (three bullets at once), the same color as the bottom group, instead of sending down just one. This seems to only happen with a full screen of ships.

sbmultishot.gif

Along these lines, when you press fire to begin the armada wave, that instantly fires a shot. If that shot kills something, they'll begin firing at you immediately, and that multiplexed shot (or any other shot) can take you out if you aren't prepared for it.

How about having it so when you press fire to begin the armada wave, it doesn't automatically also fire a shot? That would give you the choice of when to fire off the first shot, and subsequently when to have them return fire. (Although there should probably be a timer, so the player can't just wait indefinitely.)

Looking good! I find myself using guided missiles more as the game gets harder. :) But it's playing great! I like the addition of having the landing platform change directions, too.

A couple of notes: the number of hits for the bosses resets after you get up to eleven. So you revert back to eight, then nine, etc., and continues this cycle. I think once it gets to eleven, it should stay there.

Also, regarding the 'instant death' bug, I've seen something else happening which may be related. Sometimes on the first enemy shot, they'll send down a shot that's multiplexed (three bullets at once), the same color as the bottom group, instead of sending down just one. This seems to only happen with a full screen of ships.

sbmultishot.gif

Along these lines, when you press fire to begin the armada wave, that instantly fires a shot. If that shot kills something, they'll begin firing at you immediately, and that multiplexed shot (or any other shot) can take you out if you aren't prepared for it.

How about having it so when you press fire to begin the armada wave, it doesn't automatically also fire a shot? That would give you the choice of when to fire off the first shot, and subsequently when to have them return fire. (Although there should probably be a timer, so the player can't just wait indefinitely.)

Thanks! This is fun stuff :D

Fixed "Instant Death" bug.

Eliminated Large Base difficulty option.

Delayed missile fire until Level Begin Sound is complete.

Boss Hits to die is now Level 1 = 8, Level 2 = 9, Level 3 = 10, Level 4 = 11, Level 5 and up = 12

Fixed Triple missile glitch.

SpaceBattleFinal1211.bin

Made Base Double Wide and then Quad Wide in Boss Screen ... looks kinda cool!

SpaceBattleFinal1211PM.bin

Made Base Double Wide in Boss Screen and stays Double Wide in Boss Screen... looks better!

SpaceBattleFinal1211PM1.bin

Edited by Dave Neuman

Made Base Double Wide in Boss Screen and stays Double Wide in Boss Screen... looks better!

That is cool. Makes the bosses more challenging, too.

Found a bug though. If you hit Select after clearing the screen, then hit Fire to resume the game, sometimes you'll come back and your ship will be invisible (it can still fire - but it can't be hit or catch fuel). A couple of times, the screen just went black, and the game stopped altogether.

I thought the continue feature had been removed. :ponder:

Also, does the Left Difficulty switch do anything now? Or is it just the Right switch (bomb speed) that affects the game?

Edited by Nathan Strum

That is cool. Makes the bosses more challenging, too.

Found a bug though. If you hit Select after clearing the screen, then hit Fire to resume the game, sometimes you'll come back and your ship will be invisible (it can still fire - but it can't be hit or catch fuel). A couple of times, the screen just went black, and the game stopped altogether.

I thought the continue feature had been removed. :ponder:

Also, does the Left Difficulty switch do anything now? Or is it just the Right switch (bomb speed) that affects the game?

Select Bug fixed!

Left Difficulty now disables Fuel Pods on Armada Waves.

Reworked the Select and Reset switches to behave as follows:

Cancel game by hitting either Select or Reset.

Reset also starts a currently selected game option.

Thanks,

Dave

SpaceBattleFinal1212PM.bin

This one doesn't skip frames :)

SpaceBattleFinal1213EX.bin

Edited by Dave Neuman

I tweaked the fuel levels a lttle differently on this one

Boss Levels 26 seconds constant

Armada starts at 26 seconds for first easy wave.

2nd Wave 43 seconds.

decrease second per level approx until.

10th level 33 seconds.

SpaceBattle_NTSC.bin

Final Binaries :)

SpaceBattleNTSC.bin

SpaceBattlePAL.bin

Edited by Dave Neuman

• 4 weeks later...

I just got the Space Battle cart from AA today and that is the best-looking manual I've ever seen. I looked at all the pages without reading them first, just to look at the layout. I got the cart in Red, which shows off the labels. Good job!

Thank you for the kind words! :D I had fun working on it, and a lot of credit goes to Dave Dries who created the fantastic background art for it. I posted a behind-the-scenes look at the Space Battle artwork in my blog.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

What's the difference between SpaceBattleNTSC.bin

and SpaceBattle_NTSC.bin?

Thanks.

2nd Wave 43 seconds.

10th level 33 seconds.

SpaceBattle_NTSC.bin

SpaceBattleNTSC.bin

SpaceBattlePAL.bin

Hi,

Thanks for playing.

SpaceBattle_NTSC.bin uses following fuel consumption values:

Boss Level = 23 seconds of fuel

Level 1 Armada 23 seconds of fuel

Level 2 Armada 43 seconds of fuel

Decrease fuel reserves by 1 second each level until Level 14 where fuel reserve remains constant at 31 seconds of fuel

SpaceBattleNTSC.bin uses following fuel consumption values:

Boss Level = 26 seconds of fuel

Level 1 Armada 26 seconds of fuel

Level 2 Armada 43 seconds of fuel

Decrease fuel reserves by 1 second each level until Level 10 where fuel reserve remains constant at 33 seconds of fuel

So SpaceBattleNTSC gives you little more fuel :)

Hi,

What's the difference between SpaceBattleNTSC.bin

and SpaceBattle_NTSC.bin?

Thanks.

2nd Wave 43 seconds.

10th level 33 seconds.

SpaceBattle_NTSC.bin

SpaceBattleNTSC.bin

SpaceBattlePAL.bin